• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review A big guy's look at 2020 skis 90mm and over

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Elan Ripstick 106 Black Edition
Dimensions: 140-106-122
Radius: 18.1m@181cm
Sizes: 167, 174, 181, 188
Size tested: 181
Design: All New

Elan finally beefed up the build of this ski after a few years of leaving me wanting more. The Black provides precision and quickness found in few other One Oh Something skis. Off piste, this ski is pure joy; it evens out variable snow with security and confidence. Bumps, crud, trees, and powder are where the Black lives life to the fullest. An unexpectedly sublime performance on the groomed runout left me with a smile on my face. Well done, Elan.
  • Who is it for? Riders looking for a quiver-killing One Oh who spend most of their time seeking the goods.
  • Who is it not for? Tail riders will miss the perks of the strong build.
  • Insider tip: Performance worth the four-digit price.

Fischer Ranger 92TI
Dimensions: 126-91-116
Radius: 17m@178cm
Sizes: 171, 178, 186
Size tested: 178

I was handicapped on this ski in this length; a go on the 186 would be more my vibe. As it was, the Ranger 92TI was a tad squirrely anywhere but soft groomed runs, where it felt strong and more composed. Its shape seems like it will work well in an all-mountain setting when sized appropriately for the pilot.
  • Who is it for? People looking to fill the narrower end in an all-mountain quiver.
  • Who is it not for? Not certain, as I didn’t get a fair assessment because I was on the wrong size.
  • Insider tip: Size matters. Make sure you’re on the correct ski.

Kästle FX96 HP
Dimensions: 133-96-119
Radius: 18.1m@180cm
Sizes: 172, 180,188
Size tested: 180

"Easy and accessible all over the mountain" describes the FX96 HP. Any turn shape or size is a snap on this ride. Kästle removed the metal and added carbon this year, and the results are fantastic. The FX96 has excellent float and strength in soft, variable snow and an engaging tip with secure feel with power on the groomed. Turns happen at thought with giggles to follow. Wherever I took this ski, it performed admirably. Kästle took some huge steps with this build. Perhaps the best ski I was on at the Copper test. Time for me to start saving up....
  • Who is it for? Those looking to reduce the herd. This ski fills several slots in a quiver, justifying the price.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers not willing to commit. This ski lives to perform.
  • Insider tip: No metal, no worries. The Kästle feel is there.

Kästle FX106
Dimensions: 137-106-125
Radius: 20.4m@184cm
Sizes: 168, 176, 184, 192
Size tested: 184

The FX106 has characteristics similar to its narrower brother with an expected tilt toward off-piste performance. The tip on the FX guides the ski confidently through chop while remaining friendly in bumps and trees. I couldn’t find an area off Sierra and up on Union that this ski didn’t handle with ease. Kästle has a unique feel that shines in this model as well as the 96. The reduced weight of the 106 and 96 didn’t cause alarm in any condition.
  • Who is it for? Off-piste afficionados; this ski wants to see the entire mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Those wanting to visit the ungroomed as opposed to living the ungroomed.
  • Insider tip: Slap on some Shifts and tour, tour, tour.

K2 Mindbender 90Ti
Dimensions: 127-90-114
Radius: 17.9m@177cm
Sizes: 163, 170, 177, 184

K2’s new Mindbender series picks up where the outgoing Pinnacle series left off, but with a more connected feel. I found this ski damp and solid in the turns through variable snow. Maneuvering through the trees and bumps was a snap, although not as quick as some other skis in the test in this category. K2 nailed the graphics on the entire Mindbender line.
  • Who is it for? Advancing skiers will find a trusted friend with this ski.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers wanting a light, flickable ride.
  • Insider tip: Looks can be deceiving; that's not the case here.

K2 Mindbender 108Ti
Dimensions: 136-108-125
Radius: 22.9m@186cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186, 193
Size tested: 186

The big boy in the Mindbender line fills that slot admirably. Dampness and a solid feel carry over to this fella, making off-piste forays a joy. The tip powers through crud and chop while the midsection and tail provide a stable, powerful ride. The 108 is not as quick side to side as some others in class, but it's not a tank, either. Float was as expected for a ski of this width. I didn’t find any slabby snow, but feel the 108 would excel here.
  • Who is it for? Skiers wanting a strong One Oh Something that is capable in all conditions off piste.
  • Who is it not for? Those seeking a lightweight midfat for hiking/touring.
  • Insider tip: Strong enough ride for the larger folk.

Liberty Evolv 90
Dimensions: 132-90-114
Radius: 18.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 186

Liberty’s new line is something to behold. The Evolv 90 is more off-piste-oriented than the V92, which is a good thing. The 90 blew me away from tip to tail. A strong, predictable entrance into the turn followed by smooth flex in the middle and perhaps the best tail of any ski in the test provides an exhilarating ride in all conditions. You can drive this ski as hard and fast as you want without repercussion for slight missteps while still being able to relax and cruise when you feel like it. Liberty has figured out a build that smooths undulations in snow like few others. This is a true performance animal that covers a wide range of skier abilities. Put it on the “Buy It Now” list, for sure.
  • Who is it for? Damn near everyone seeking versatility. This is a ski for all but true beginners.
  • Who is it not for? Powderhounds and groomer cruisers.
  • Insider tip: Performance, versatility, and looks in one package.

Liberty Evolv 100
Dimensions: 139-100-122
Radius: 19m@179cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186
Sizes tested: 179, 186

I was fortunate to test this ski at the Copper test (186) and at ABasin (179). The attributes of the 90 carry over to the 100. The 100 is a smidge smoother, probably because of the added width, but lacks the quickness of the 90. The predictability and confidence remain. I was surprised on the 179 at ABasin by the 100’s ability to handle the powder day we were blessed with. I expected the ski to dive and be more work in the shorter-than-desired length. It wasn’t. Skiing the trees in the Beaver was ecstasy, as were any bumps encountered. @Ron and I have gone toe to toe comparing the Evolv 90 and 100; he prefers the 100, and I the 90. I may be changing my mind after more time on the 100.
  • Who is it for? One-ski-quiver guy needs to look no further.
  • Who is it not for? See the Evolv 90 but remove powderhounds.
  • Insider tip: Either Evolv is a win. Pick the width you prefer.

Liberty V92
Dimensions: 133-92-120
Radius: 17.5m@179cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 179
Design: New Construction

Mr. Smooth, welcome to the party! A very quiet and versatile ski that handled groomers, bumps and variable snow with passion. Turn initiation is immediate with a nice power rush at the end. This ski was calm in all conditions I took it. The snow feel was unexpected meaning even crap snow felt good. The dampness is unreal and evens out lumps, groomer tracks, etc. The 92’s ability in bumps made me want to seek them out. A 92mm ski shouldn’t feel this good in bumps. On groomers, this ski feels like a low-80 ride and is a gas to lay over and push the speed limit – which I never found.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who spend a lot of time on groomers but enjoy bumps, trees, etc.
  • Who is it not for? Those who think a ski in the 90s is too wide to arc precise turns.
  • Insider tip: Performance worth twice the price.

Line Vision 108
Dimensions: 142-108-128
Radius: 19.5m@183cm
Sizes: 175, 183, 189
Size tested: 183

Looking for a friend? The Vision 108 may be it. It is an easy ski that moves with you. The tip engages nicely off piste, pulling you across the hill with a secure feel. Staying in the middle of your foot brings the most out of this whip as it feels a bit soft compared to some others in class. The flex makes skiing moguls a grand experience on a ski this wide, but a little more beef would be beneficial.
  • Who is it for? Lighter or finesse skiers looking for a One Oh Something.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier chargers will find its limits.
  • Insider tip: Lighter or finesse skiers will get the most out of the Vision 108.

Salomon QST 92
Dimensions: 130-92-113
Radius: 17m@177cm
Sizes: 153, 161, 169, 177, 185
Size tested: 177
Design: New Construction

I was never a fan of the QST series, but that has changed. Salomon improved the tip on this model by adding some cork. It works. The 92 enters turns nicely and finishes with a lively feel. This ski is definitely on the playful side but can arc a turn when asked to. I found the flex even throughout the ski, making it fun in the moguls and trees. I was on a shorter model than I’d prefer and would like to try the next size up.
  • Who is it for? Easygoing skiers who like a variety of conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier skiers can overpower this ski when pushed hard.
  • Insider tip: Surprise! Salomon’s improvements are right on.

Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 135-95-123
Radius: 17.2m@175cm
Sizes: 166, 175, 184, 193
Size tested: 175

A new tip and tail design along with a thicker core improve this model over the recent offerings. Turn initiation is better, providing a confidence-inspiring ride, and the stronger tail gives a tummy-tickling reward at the end. This new 95 glides from turn to turn seamlessly. I wish Stöckli would bring more sizes to the test as I would be better off one length up.
  • Who is it for? Well-heeled skiers wanting a versatile all-mountain ride.
  • Who is it not for? Sliders. A ski of this quality likes to be on edge.
  • Insider tip: Stöckli has the mid-90 segment figured out.

Völkl Mantra 102
Dimensions: 140-102-123
Radius: 20.1m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184, 191

Son of a .… This is the Völkl I’ve been longing for. "Strong," "fast," and "intuitive" were the first three words on my voice recording. A superb tip that guides the ski into the turn powerfully and a tail that finishes with pop are traits of the 102. Give this ski more gas, and it rewards with increased performance. Lay off the ski and cruise with a stable ride that offers no surprises for lapses in attention. Off piste and on, the Mantra 102 flat out performs. I had to double check the length because it was so compliant and willing to work with me that I was sure it was shorter than the 184 indicated. A true delight for me at Copper.
  • Who is it for? Versatile skiers who want performance all over the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? The unimaginative will miss out on this ski’s versatility.
  • Insider tip: Völkl has bottled lightning with this one.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
So, I read the first review. My thoughts? "I need a pair of these". Then, as I read each subsequent review, I found myself thinking "I need a pair of these too". Before I knew it, I found that I "need" nine new pairs of skis! This is not healthy for me especially since I bought two new pairs already this summer to add to my existing quiver.
Geez. This sport... :doh:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Throw in the Enforcer 104 Free, if you don't mind.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I skied the 2020 QST 92 as a demo at Whistler and loved it. I skied it pretty mellow as I need surgery on my right meniscus that I am getting today 8/7/19. I was looking at a possible purchase of this ski but being a bigger guy at 5'9" and 250 lbs 62 years old. It seems I may overpower the ski per this review. I always pay attention to Phil Pug and the other reviews on this site as they have never failed me for over 10 purchases for myself and my wife. I am also considering the Mindbender 99ti but have not skied it yet. I am an expert skier that is now mainly an on piste groomer skier that likes fast cruising and fast turning skies with backbone. I was looking at the 2020 QST92 deal with bindings on Ski Essentials that is a very good deal. After reading these reviews I think I will demo both skis once I am back in my true skiing form. Question for Phil would be which do you think would suit me better QST 92 or Mindbender 99ti or something else? I have the MX89, Firearrow 84Edt and many other expert level skis that I really like. I am considering buying 177cm but see that you tested 184cm and am also wondering your thoughts on that as well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, I read the first review. My thoughts? "I need a pair of these". Then, as I read each subsequent review, I found myself thinking "I need a pair of these too". Before I knew it, I found that I "need" nine new pairs of skis! This is not healthy for me especially since I bought two new pairs already this summer to add to my existing quiver.
Geez. This sport... :doh:

@Philpug often talks about how many good skis are available today. I can’t disagree. Seems more times than not that I could “justify” adding to the quiver after testing a ski.
I think what Kevin meant to say is....
You're welcome! :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied the 2020 QST 92 as a demo at Whistler and loved it. I skied it pretty mellow as I need surgery on my right meniscus that I am getting today 8/7/19. I was looking at a possible purchase of this ski but being a bigger guy at 5'9" and 250 lbs 62 years old. It seems I may overpower the ski per this review. I always pay attention to Phil Pug and the other reviews on this site as they have never failed me for over 10 purchases for myself and my wife. I am also considering the Mindbender 99ti but have not skied it yet. I am an expert skier that is now mainly an on piste groomer skier that likes fast cruising and fast turning skies with backbone. I was looking at the 2020 QST92 deal with bindings on Ski Essentials that is a very good deal. After reading these reviews I think I will demo both skis once I am back in my true skiing form. Question for Phil would be which do you think would suit me better QST 92 or Mindbender 99ti or something else? I have the MX89, Firearrow 84Edt and many other expert level skis that I really like. I am considering buying 177cm but see that you tested 184cm and am also wondering your thoughts on that as well.
If you have the MX89 and FA84Ti already, I think the QST 92 will be a bit of overlap..I woudl bump that choice to the QST99...but if you are afaid if the 181 length that you will want for your weight, the Mindbender 99 in the 177 will be dead on money for you. Either way, @SkiEssentials will be able to help you out.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you have the MX89 and FA84Ti already, I think the QST 92 will be a bit of overlap..I woudl bump that choice to the QST99...but if you are afaid if the 181 length that you will want for your weight, the Mindbender 99 in the 177 will be dead on money for you. Either way, @SkiEssentials will be able to help you out.
As
Thanks Phil. I will demo both as soon as I can.

Sponsor