• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review A big guy's look at 2020 skis 85mm and under

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic Redster X9
Dimensions: 114-65.5-99.5
Radius: 15.4m@175cm
Sizes: 169, 175, 181
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover

A predictable tip, security underfoot ,and power out the tail? Yep, typical Redster feel. And what a glorious ride this carver gives as long as you’re engaged: ket your mind wander, and the Redster X9 quickly gets your attention. Digging trenches is what this ski does, and it does it well on piste. A quick foray off piste wasn’t as enjoyable, but I didn’t expect it to be.
  • Who is it for? Proficient skiers looking to dig trenches GS-style.
  • Who is it not for? People afraid of power. This ski packs a punch.
  • Insider tip: Pay attention or get left behind.

Atomic Redster X9 WB
Dimensions: 125.5-75-109.5
Radius: 14.2m@176cm
Sizes: 152, 160, 168, 176
Size tested: 176
Design: All New

The WB is the portly sibling to the X9 and provides many of the same attributes and sensations in a wider, more versatile platform. The extra 10 mm underfoot ups the stability of this ski. Riders beware: getting lazy has the same consequences on the WB as it does the other X9. I prefer the WB model for the increased versatility provided by the thicker waist.
  • Who is it for? Those who want a ripping carver but also like to explore some mellower, off-piste snow.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers accustomed to rocker and a slow tip engagement.
  • Insider tip: Increased versatility ups the fun.

Augment Sport Carving
Dimensions: Unpublished
Radius: 15m@170cm
Sizes: 162, 170, 176, 181
Size tested: 181

Oh, Nelson! Click in and hang on when aboard this fast and smooth carving machine. Turn engagement is automatic, and the smooth power and energy of this ski are the reward. This ski makes a competent pilot want to ramp up the speed and flow arc to arc. This is a quick ride for a 21m-radius ski. Augment has flex ratings from 1 (Ligety stiff) to 10 (Pillsbury soft). I was on an 8 flex but would like to try this ski in a 4 or 5 to get a better feel for the exhilaration this ski is capable of.
  • Who is it for? Speed seekers who like the feel of a premium carver.
  • Who is it not for? Park-and-ride skiers will miss the point.
  • Insider tip: Finding the proper flex is paramount.

Salomon S/Force Bold X12 LT
Dimensions: 132-84-116
Radius: 16m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184
Size tested: 177

Wide-body carvers are the hot segment, it seems, and Salomon’s entry gives the other makers a ski to chase. A supremely damp ski with an excellent tip that pulls the ski though the fall line with predictability is a pleasure to pilot. This is that ski. Mass is this ski’s friend. It has a heavier feel in hand, but once on snow the heft disappears and a quick, smooth, stable ride shows up. Roughed-up snow was leveled yet the ski kept a lively feel. Snaking through moguls on the Bold was a snap, something I didn’t expect. This ski competes with the premium brands in snow feel and performance.
  • Who is it for? Those seeking a wider carver who like to dabble all over the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Slalom turns aren’t this ski’s forté.
  • Insider tip: This is the wide carver the others want to be.

Stöckli Laser AR
Dimensions: 130-83-112
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 151, 161, 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175

Stöckli couldn’t be left behind in the wide-carver race, so it built the AR. It has the typical Stöckli feel: damp, strong, quiet, and refined. The power and predicability of a Stockli never disappoint, but this pair was a minor exception. The tune may have been a little off, or perhaps a prior tester hit something on the pair I tested. The AR lacked the immediacy I’m used to with Stöckli. It seemed sluggish compared to most others in this class and a far cry from the Stöckli skis I'm familiar with.
  • Who is it for? Skiers wanting a premium ski with a deep history.
  • Who is it not for? Heel pushers will spend more time picking up their gear than skiing it.
  • Insider tip: Pay for a performance tune and reap the rewards of a well-built ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What would you say your biggest surprise ski was at the tests?