• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado A Basin vs Loveland season pass

Which one is better for a Front Range "everything" skier?

• Luv, duh

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • A Basin, obvs

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Both (they're so different!)

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d be curious to see a data study correlating that to skier days. One thing for sure is I’ll watch is whether A-Basin’s social media clicks decline after this season. If not...I imagine a lot of the crowding pressure remains.

Same. I’m sure some folks with an Epic pass skied AB and I did too on occasion, but I’m not sure it’ contributes to the AB crowding to the extent we give it credit for here. Late season is a different story given AB was the only show in town, but that’s changed too as well. It will be interesting to see the AB dynamic going forward.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
After this year I think I am done with A Basin other than going there from time to time to skin up to the summit for a sunset or before lifts open. And of course, the Pugski May meetup.

I just don't want to give up on A-Basin yet. Call me a hopeful "romantic", but I really, really want A-Basin's epic departure to work out well for everyone.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just don't want to give up on A-Basin yet. Call me a hopeful "romantic", but I really, really want A-Basin's epic departure to work out well for everyone.

Ditto. I’m a Vail/Epic guy but AB is a cool mountain. I hope they do well, the crowds thin some and everyone is happy with how things turn out. I’m confident Vail will survive too.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I'm in kind of a similar boat. Certain circumstances have conspired to severely reduce the amount of skiing I'll be able to do, and as such, a pass that allows me to travel to a bunch of different destinations really doesn't do much for me. I was thinking LUV just since it's closest. I've honestly never been a huge fan of the place. I really like A-Basin better, if I could believe the separation from Epic would really solve the parking problems. My hunch is that the secret is out and that will remain a challenge.
I'm a little put off by the LUV pass price. Assuming it's similar to this year's pass, it would save me less than $200 compared to the Ikon, and the lifts are old, the service isn't remotely Deer Valley-like, and the base facilities are positively decrepit. Those things aren't really what's most important to me, but it seems like a no-frills place that's still charging for frills. A-Basin's pass is $60 less and look how much they've invested over the last few years. And once you get to LUV it's not much further as long as US 6 is open.
I might even end up with the Keystone+ pass for even 30 bucks less and find something else to do on holidays. Although Epic swarms are something I'm not eager to rejoin.
Then again who know, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and re-up with Ikon. I've been waiting for that Tucker Mt. lift at Copper for a long time, and I have learned to love Winter Park.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Monique, go with Loveland and Ikon. You can ski WP/MJ and avoid the tunnel. Most importantly, lessons are cheap at Loveland for your non-skiing boyfriend.

Mike

Not important - he isn't interested in learning to ski. He also pointed out that I wouldn't be interested in hanging around with him on bunny slopes - true that. We'll keep hiking together, and next season I hope to get him out on snowshoes .

After this year I think I am done with A Basin other than going there from time to time to skin up to the summit for a sunset or before lifts open. And of course, the Pugski May meetup.

IF that's at A Basin. @Philpug @Tricia we gotta know while passes are still cheap!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm in kind of a similar boat. Certain circumstances have conspired to severely reduce the amount of skiing I'll be able to do, and as such, a pass that allows me to travel to a bunch of different destinations really doesn't do much for me. I was thinking LUV just since it's closest. I've honestly never been a huge fan of the place. I really like A-Basin better, if I could believe the separation from Epic would really solve the parking problems. My hunch is that the secret is out and that will remain a challenge.
I'm a little put off by the LUV pass price. Assuming it's similar to this year's pass, it would save me less than $200 compared to the Ikon, and the lifts are old, the service isn't remotely Deer Valley-like, and the base facilities are positively decrepit. Those things aren't really what's most important to me, but it seems like a no-frills place that's still charging for frills. A-Basin's pass is $60 less and look how much they've invested over the last few years. And once you get to LUV it's not much further as long as US 6 is open.
I might even end up with the Keystone+ pass for even 30 bucks less and find something else to do on holidays. Although Epic swarms are something I'm not eager to rejoin.
Then again who know, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and re-up with Ikon. I've been waiting for that Tucker Mt. lift at Copper for a long time, and I have learned to love Winter Park.

I figure Luv prices buy you fewer people and access to cheap good food.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IF that's at A Basin. @Philpug @Tricia we gotta know while passes are still cheap!
We've been spitballing some ideas and planned on talking to the crew when we're there in May. Do we need to work on the ideas before then?

The food at Loveland is pretty darn good, but the smokehouse stuff at BML is yummy too.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We've been spitballing some ideas and planned on talking to the crew when we're there in May. Do we need to work on the ideas before then?

I'm not sure when the early bird pass prices go away ...

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
My speculation and hope is the Keystone/A-basin Pass brings a lot of beginners to A-basin that won't be there next year. I believe the combo pass has been the same price as a Keystone only pass, so folks end up with access to both then go to The Legend just to say they did even though Keystone is a better fit for them.
My brother was one of these people. Keystone A-Basin 4 pack specifically. He did his first day at Keystone—third ever on skis. Discovery and Ranger at the Summit were just fine getting a groove. But Schoolmarm was a challenge. Quantum leap up in length from the summit to Montezuma, and crowded most of the way down.

We knew A-Basin would not offer anything outside of BMX. But, Wrangker, Chisholm, and Sundance were more variety. You can also do an either/or with the top and bottom sections of High Noon. BMX is also much shorter than any one section of Schoolmarm.

My brother had a blast. Food was a little cheaper. The view of East Wall was nice. Staying on just greens he could not get lost. It was a perfect fit, and better than Keystone.

A-Basin also bundles tickets with lessons. That is a major discount these days.

The day at A-Basin set him up perfectly for his last two at Keystone. Now he wants to actually be a regular skier. Not sure Keystone alone would have worked. Sure, Breck would have been better terrain for him. But, he had a budget, like most people.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I'm a little put off by the LUV pass price. Assuming it's similar to this year's pass, it would save me less than $200 compared to the Ikon, and the lifts are old, the service isn't remotely Deer Valley-like, and the base facilities are positively decrepit. Those things aren't really what's most important to me, but it seems like a no-frills place that's still charging for frills.
Loveland's early season pass price was $419. Ikon is up to $650. Ikon is 55% more than Loveland.
Loveland has a brand new high speed quad, with perhaps the fastest vertical feet per minute in the Front Range.
Ptarmigan and Chair 4 are both relatively new and fast fixed chairs. Chair 4 gives more vert per minute than 6 Chair at Breck, and beats anything but Mt Cheif in the bowls at Copper for quick above treelike skiing.
Loveland offers one of the lowest season pass prices of any resort in the Front Range--about 1/4th the cost of a DV season pass.
Base facilities are just as nice as A-Frame at A-Basin, nicer than anything you will find at Keystone's Mountain House, and I would argue hangs fine with the Maggie on Peak 9 at Breck.
So one of the lowest season pass prices in the Front Range gets you some of the most efficient lifts for intermediates and above, the shortest drive along I-70, base facilities that are actually seem on par, free parking, a good affordable ski school, friendly locals, vastly fewer lift lines, great snow conditions, and one of the longest seasons in CO. At 2/3 the cost of an Ikon Base pass, that sounds like a good value.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I'm not sure when the early bird pass prices go away ...
Here is what was being offered at the Christy Sports Powder Daze event this last Fall.
I have a ski budget, and we milk it for everything we can. I keep track of the data I can.
In five years living in VT before moving to COS, I don't think I paid more than $50 to ski a single day at Stowe. I pinch the pennies.
Powder Daze 2018.jpg Powder Daze 2018 2.jpg

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
$419 for an unrestricted pass with partner days at Monarch, Cooper, Purgatory, Sunlight, Powderhorn, Powder Mountain, Whitefish, and sort of Grand Targhee is buying you a lot.

As the question comes up about how crowds may shift next season I would highlight Copper's price moves this Spring. 4 Packs have jumped from $209 to $250. Season passes have also jumped from $409 last year to $550 this year. Copper's 4 pack is more than Keystone, and the season pass is only $100 cheaper than Ikon Base. Copper is making a move to milk what it can from visitors now that they are an Ikon colony.

Copper has essentially exited the competition for local single resort season passes:
Keystone Plus $370
A-Basin $400
Loveland $420 (if unchanged)
WP/MJ $450

Some Copper skiers may look elsewhere if the crowds grew too much this year, and they can't take the nearly $100 increase in pass prices.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Loveland's early season pass price was $419. Ikon is up to $650. Ikon is 55% more than Loveland.
Loveland has a brand new high speed quad, with perhaps the fastest vertical feet per minute in the Front Range.
Ptarmigan and Chair 4 are both relatively new and fast fixed chairs. Chair 4 gives more vert per minute than 6 Chair at Breck, and beats anything but Mt Cheif in the bowls at Copper for quick above treelike skiing.
Loveland offers one of the lowest season pass prices of any resort in the Front Range--about 1/4th the cost of a DV season pass.
Base facilities are just as nice as A-Frame at A-Basin, nicer than anything you will find at Keystone's Mountain House, and I would argue hangs fine with the Maggie on Peak 9 at Breck.
So one of the lowest season pass prices in the Front Range gets you some of the most efficient lifts for intermediates and above, the shortest drive along I-70, base facilities that are actually seem on par, free parking, a good affordable ski school, friendly locals, vastly fewer lift lines, great snow conditions, and one of the longest seasons in CO. At 2/3 the cost of an Ikon Base pass, that sounds like a good value.

Oh, cool. Yeah I was looking at the current prices, should have thought about the early price being lower.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And some really good eats.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
What I mean by this is that places with very little beginner or interesting ‘light blue’ terrain have a lot of people traveling to ski them. This seems like a weird choice on paper, but I have to think maybe it isn’t. Perhaps finding an Airbnb and skiing Loveland is a great family trip compared to Keystone or whatever.
Breck is the obvious choice for Greens and easy blue terrain. But it costs a lot of money.

Loveland actually has a lot going for it when it comes to beginner and easier terrain. You can ski uncrowded green groomers off of Chet's, #6, #2, and Ptarmigan. The blues off of #6 and Ptarmigan are also relatively easy (Drifter & Firecut, not the South Chutes). And ski school options are much more affordable.

The trail map also makes Loveland look like a vast ocean of blues, which most resorts tend to groom--what blue intermediate trails are not groomed at Keystone, Breck or Copper?

A casual observation about skis and ski gear makes me think Loveland customers are much more price conscious. The pre-season 4 pack is a great deal, and helpful when you can divide them amongst a group. Depending on a group size, you can turn them into any number of ski days you want. Not an option at Copper or Keystone.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
That Powder Daze list is helpful, @Green08. I am planning to get LL's 3-lesson pass next season. There was no discount on that over Powder Daze, so I should watch for early bird pricing. If there is no real savings to be had, I'll wait until the season starts.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Oh, cool. Yeah I was looking at the current prices, should have thought about the early price being lower.

My renewal pass price for Loveland was $389 this year. The simple reduction in food and fuel costs makes it effectively free compared to anywhere else.

Over a 40 day season the cost of one beer a day Loveland vs. A-Basin will save you $100. A meal a day at least $200 over a season. 1-2 gallons less fuel for each trip can easily add up to another $200.

So that’s covered the entire cost of the pass and more without factoring the value of time (and aggravation) at all.

The fewer days one skis, the more the pass cost matters. If you ski a lot, other costs are far more material than modest differences in pass price.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Man, we all just need to shut up now. Point is made and we're putting too much "evidence" on the interwebz. ;)