• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
Anyone get a chance to test the Stockli Laser WRT? Was thinking about a SC, SL or WRT to add next year.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
From the link:

"Laser WRT ST another first, for me the most interesting news is a ski dedicated to them who wants to run but does not want or feels too limited with the GS FIS or SL FIS. From what they told us they took SL FIS and they stretched it 7 cm.In practice they invented the SC FIS."

You may need Google Translate.
http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=89623

Anyone get a chance to test the Stockli Laser WRT? Was thinking about a SC, SL or WRT to add next year.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
From the link:

"Laser WRT ST another first, for me the most interesting news is a ski dedicated to them who wants to run but does not want or feels too limited with the GS FIS or SL FIS. From what they told us they took SL FIS and they stretched it 7 cm.In practice they invented the SC FIS."

So WRT = a 172 SC shaped ski with a real slalom construction? That’s what the SC was originally. Well not the first version, that was a shite ski, but the second version (sliver grey) was probably the single best ski I’ve ever owned. It wasn’t slalom construction at the time, but I think the slalom ski evolved into the SC construction (SC was laminated core vs. slalom was ISO core).

TS
Jeffc7

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
This what I saw from Stockli on the WRT, "This ski unites the strengths of a slalom ski with that of a giant slalom ski. Agility meets stability. The result is a short turning giant slalom machine."

Bulder

Booting up
Skier
I managed to buy the Laser WRTs end of March after hearing raving reviews from people that had been able to test them. I am pretty experienced with Stöckli myself, having owned/owns Laser CX, AX, SX, GS FIS and SR 95.
The first run on the WRT's, and I was laughing loud midways down the slope. It just happened, couldn't stop it. Was when I switched from large to small turns, and the skis just plain switched from being a GS to a SL. Like turning a switch, unbelievable!
I have owned a lot of high-end skis in my time, these beats every one of them, hands down. The level of precision, high speed stability and agility is just above any other recreational ski I have ever tried. They are very close to pure racing skis, just much more forgiving and comfortable. I can ski them all day long. So far, I have had 14 days on them, just love them more and more.
The WRT's are truly two skis in one pair, actually close to four. They are the impossible fusion of SL FIS, GS, SC and SX. In one ski.
Three of my friends tried them, they are on Laser SX, Laser CX and Laser SC. We switched, so I got theirs, so we could compare back and forth. Between the SX and CX, the difference was very obvious. They feel a lot less precise, almost like they have dull edges. They didn't, not at all. Also, they don't have the versatility of the WRT.
The difference to the SC is smaller, which surprised me. I always liked the SC, but it was my third choice in the Laser range, after SX and AX. But in this comparison, we all agreed that the SC was in fact the closest to the WRT. It lacks a bit both of the precision and versatility/stability (WRT can go faster, larger arcs just like that), but in small/medium turns, they are quite close. WRT still more agile, more responsive and more fun in that discipline too.
My two friends with SX and CX immediately tried to get their own WRT's, but didn't succeed, as they are not on sale until October. Seems I was lucky to find a pair that I actually could purchase. Guess they sold a pair that should have been for demo. The guys will definitely get them for next season. :)
My friend with SC's, new this season, wouldn't switch quite yet. I understand him, as he likes short turns most. The difference isn't that big in that discipline.
I like to switch between going flat out in max speed, and doing short slalom turns on hard packed, steep hills. I have never found one pair of skis that can do that, until now. Amazing, and highly recommended if that is what you like.
I skied them today in increasing slush throughout the day, and was surprised of how long I could keep them on before switching to the AX's. And even in slush, my first thought after switching was how much more precise they were compared to AX.

Precision and versatility kind of sums them up. And loads of fun!

Mine have Vist V614 bindings with Speedlock 1915 plate.

29064538_10212085458596539_6566948730968361425_o.jpg

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I managed to buy the Laser WRTs end of March after hearing raving reviews from people that had been able to test them. I am pretty experienced with Stöckli myself, having owned/owns Laser CX, AX, SX, GS FIS and SR 95.
The first run on the WRT's, and I was laughing loud midways down the slope. It just happened, couldn't stop it. Was when I switched from large to small turns, and the skis just plain switched from being a GS to a SL. Like turning a switch, unbelievable!
I have owned a lot of high-end skis in my time, these beats every one of them, hands down. The level of precision, high speed stability and agility is just above any other recreational ski I have ever tried. They are very close to pure racing skis, just much more forgiving and comfortable. I can ski them all day long. So far, I have had 14 days on them, just love them more and more.
The WRT's are truly two skis in one pair, actually close to four. They are the impossible fusion of SL FIS, GS, SC and SX. In one ski.
Three of my friends tried them, they are on Laser SX, Laser CX and Laser SC. We switched, so I got theirs, so we could compare back and forth. Between the SX and CX, the difference was very obvious. They feel a lot less precise, almost like they have dull edges. They didn't, not at all. Also, they don't have the versatility of the WRT.
The difference to the SC is smaller, which surprised me. I always liked the SC, but it was my third choice in the Laser range, after SX and AX. But in this comparison, we all agreed that the SC was in fact the closest to the WRT. It lacks a bit both of the precision and versatility/stability (WRT can go faster, larger arcs just like that), but in small/medium turns, they are quite close. WRT still more agile, more responsive and more fun in that discipline too.
My two friends with SX and CX immediately tried to get their own WRT's, but didn't succeed, as they are not on sale until October. Seems I was lucky to find a pair that I actually could purchase. Guess they sold a pair that should have been for demo. The guys will definitely get them for next season. :)
My friend with SC's, new this season, wouldn't switch quite yet. I understand him, as he likes short turns most. The difference isn't that big in that discipline.
I like to switch between going flat out in max speed, and doing short slalom turns on hard packed, steep hills. I have never found one pair of skis that can do that, until now. Amazing, and highly recommended if that is what you like.
I skied them today in increasing slush throughout the day, and was surprised of how long I could keep them on before switching to the AX's. And even in slush, my first thought after switching was how much more precise they were compared to AX.

Precision and versatility kind of sums them up. And loads of fun!

Mine have Vist V614 bindings with Speedlock 1915 plate.

View attachment 44103

Neat review, thanks. This sure puts this ski on my radar. Thanks.

What length are yours, and what is your size, approx.?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. Looking it up, I found a Laser WRT ST, 172/14.8; also one 162/13.0, both for 18/19. If this is the ski, I'm assuming yours was probably 172.

Will there be a WRT that isn't ST (Short Turn, presumably)?

Bulder

Booting up
Skier
The WRT is made in two sizes only, 162 and 172. Supposedly one for women and one for men. Seems weird, but there is a very good reason for this.

I am 178 cm and 80 Kg, and would normally choose a ski about my own length. This logic doesn't apply to the WRT, for some reason I am not able to explain. It is almost like skiing a SL FIS in 160 cm and a GS in 180 cm at the same time. You just change the style, they answer immediately. Really weird.
Two of my friends that tried mine are a size or two bigger than me, like 185 cm and 100+ kg. Fast skiers that prefer large carving turns. Both found the WRT to be a lot more stable at speed than their 177cm SX/CX's.

My pair is a lot heavier than my pair of AX in 175cm and my buddy's SX in 177cm, probably due to the race plate/binding combo. This could add some stability I guess. But there is something with these skis that defeats common logic. That's what the people who had tried them before me told me, and that is why I got them without even trying them first. I managed to find a pair in eastern Europe (I live in Norway), got them shipped from there. That's how much I wanted to try them myself after hearing what others said, and seeing a couple of online reviews.

I don't know your size or how you like to ski, but I don't believe anyone would need a version that is not the ST as long as you are not racing. They handle expert skiers like a much longer GS would, and short turns like a SL, at the same time.
If you are doing SG or downhill, there is a WRT for that, the WRT DH 219. :)

James

Out There
Instructor

Bulder

Booting up
Skier
I got them from one that only had that pair. :)
Sorry, but I would rather not disclose their name. I suspect Stöckli don't like them selling these skis until the public release in October.

A quick google search resulted in this shop saying they have a pair, you might want to give it a try. Make sure to get a decent set of plates.
https://www.harfasport.cz/stockli-laser-wrt-r16-2019-55037/

James

Out There
Instructor
I got them from one that only had that pair. :)
Sorry, but I would rather not disclose their name. I suspect Stöckli don't like them selling these skis until the public release in October.

A quick google search resulted in this shop saying they have a pair, you might want to give it a try. Make sure to get a decent set of plates.
https://www.harfasport.cz/stockli-laser-wrt-r16-2019-55037/
Lol, that 34,990 Kč for a pair is like $1,700!
We can wait.

Bulder

Booting up
Skier
I am afraid that is pretty much the list price. I paid €1339 plus shipping, which is about the same. Sales tax of 21% is included here, you might get that off if exporting out of Europe.
Mine was with Vist V614 binding and Speedlock pro plate, that's $475 list price alone. I guess it is the same here, skis only doesn't cost that much.

Expect the WRT to cost $200 more than the other Laser series skis when they release them. So that would be about $1400 plus binding, right?

James

Out There
Instructor
I am afraid that is pretty much the list price. I paid €1339 plus shipping, which is about the same. Sales tax of 21% is included here, you might get that off if exporting out of Europe.
Mine was with Vist V614 binding and Speedlock pro plate, that's $475 list price alone. I guess it is the same here, skis only doesn't cost that much.

Expect the WRT to cost $200 more than the other Laser series skis when they release them. So that would be about $1400 plus binding, right?
Ok, so that price included binding?
Yes, I guess about that.

Vist, like Blossom is another company that drives one crazy. Great products, hard to get. They've largely disappeared here. I know one shop that used to sell the skis too. The company was just too hard to deal with. Trying to get plates became intolerable. So, no more. That was a few years ago.

Bulder

Booting up
Skier
I don't know if the Vist bindings are anything special, guess they are good enough. Never really thought about it, it is what we normally get with Stöckli over here since they have the same distributor. Always a good package deal with Vist. Might be the same in Czech republic, I was told the plate was already mounted on the skis when the shop got them. The Vist plates are very good though.

Looks like these guys understand your problem, and wants to do something about it.
:)

https://shop.premierskis.com/pages/about-us

Premier Skis was formed in 2012 by two avid skiers who both were distributors for European ski companies. Our mission is threefold:
  • To create a premium online store specializing in ski gear for technical skiers such as racers, instructors and expert skiers who are frequently challenged finding the type of equipment they like
https://shop.premierskis.com/collections/bindings

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't know if the Vist bindings are anything special, guess they are good enough. Never really thought about it, it is what we normally get with Stöckli over here since they have the same distributor. Always a good package deal with Vist. Might be the same in Czech republic, I was told the plate was already mounted on the skis when the shop got them. The Vist plates are very good though.

Looks like these guys understand your problem, and wants to do something about it.

Premier Skis was formed in 2012 by two avid skiers who both were distributors for European ski companies. Our mission is threefold:
  • To create a premium online store specializing in ski gear for technical skiers such as racers, instructors and expert skiers who are frequently challenged finding the type of equipment they like
Nice link! Amazed we haven't seen this before with all the Blossom interest. People are ordering from Montreal and waiting a month.

Last edited:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Quite a few years ago, Stockli had partnership with Vist. Their factory bindings are all Vist bindings. But later, Stockli switched to Salomon bindings.

The Speedlock 1915 plate you have on your Stockli is the plate usually used in their FIS SL skis. Individual plate weights ~700g, and adds a lot of stability and some stiffness to the ski.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier

Great site. The Lutsi skis look interesting, anyone ever try them?

Sponsor

Staff online