• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 9 Cheap(er) Ski Spots Near the Bay Area

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Dodge Ridge is also just $69 web purchased for seniors. Of the listed resorts, I point adult beginners to Soda Springs as the best deal. Boreal, that has slope lighted skiing after sunset till 8pm, has a 7 period decreasing lift ticket price over each day that is $99 at 9am but only $69 at 3pm. Beginners and novices are unlikely regardless of general fitness, to be able to ski more than 3 or 4 hours thus the 3pm ticket has more than enough slope time.

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dodge Ridge is also just $69 web purchased for seniors. Of the listed resorts, I point adult beginners to Soda Springs as the best deal. Boreal, that has slope lighted skiing after sunset till 8pm, has a 7 period decreasing lift ticket price over each day that is $99 at 9am but only $69 at 3pm. Beginners and novices are unlikely regardless of general fitness, to be able to ski more than 3 or 4 hours thus the 3pm ticket has more than enough slope time.
I went night skiing at Boreal at the beginning of the season and snagged a ticket for $44 starting at 3pm. It was great.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Agree. Dusk to Night skiing can be a fine time especially with groups, but one needs to be warmly dressed, head gear, goggled, and set with pocket food/drinks/... Would like to see Heavenly bring back 5pm to 8pm night skiing on their California lot base World Cup lift. With 350 feet of vertical and a better slope gradient than at Boreal, I'd bet it could be popular given the large population base at South Lake Tahoe on late winter and spring nights with light breezes and temps at least 25F. Like, could add some fun multi-colored slope lighting, day glow paint kids fun stuff, speakers with rock/popular music, food plus hot coffee, hot chocolate sales with seating complemented with gas alfresco heaters right on the snow near the lift corral base, bus service from all the Stateline lodging. Resorts ought to think out of the box with what high tech can add.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love Donner Ski Ranch. Skis so much bigger than it is. Accidentally skied over onto Boreal from there once. It's really not hard to ski Tahoe on a budget if you avoid the EPIKON resorts.

Sponsor

Staff online