• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

85+ width ski for racing?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Salomon S/Force Bold
Augment AM88
K2 Disruption 82Ti

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stupid way to do it IMHO. Why not just split it into different classes? the "pros" and the beginning racers? And then the "beginners" could learn how a race/skinny ski really works and/or could t]run what they brung

Well, then the beginners would have to buy skinny race skis, and that seems to go against the grain of today's rec skiers. Seems this beer league is trying to hook em in using what they got, or what they want to buy anyway. Actually not a bad idea.

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Well, then the beginners would have to buy skinny race skis, and that seems to go against the grain of today's rec skiers. Seems this beer league is trying to hook em in using what they got, or what they want to buy anyway. Actually not a bad idea.

Yeah, not sure but I think this may be one of the goals...allow people to run what they already own and not have to invest in race skis since most don't have those already. Since I'm in the market for a 90'ish ski right now this might be a way to race what I'll ski on low snow days anyway. I'll get more info as this rolls out more completely for next year. Just started this season and I'm not sure it's gotten traction yet.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It makes sense to me; especially for the West (CO). Create a class in the league for people who don't want to invest in specialized racing gear.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
a new category to try for a wider audience. It requires skis of 85mm or wider and I'm thinking of biting on this one.
Any opinions about what skis in this width might be good candidates for racing? Maybe something like a Monster 88?

85mm

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Back in the 90's this was pretty big in ski resorts around the nation: https://www.nastar.com

Now I have not seen a nastar course anywhere around here in ages. Vail replaced them in all of their resorts with their EPIC version.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Skier
Back in the 90's this was pretty big in ski resorts around the nation: https://www.nastar.com

Now I have not seen a nastar course anywhere around here in ages. Vail replaced them in all of their resorts with their EPIC version.
We have one, but I've never seen anyone on it when I've gone by. Definitely doesn't seem as popular as it used to be.

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Skier
Wow--then the general public might get their minds blown when they discover how much better their recreational resort on-piste skiing can be using more appropriate tools....

A lot of us have great carving skis in the 75ish mm range and I for one really enjoy railing on those, but a race ski/tune to compete with the FIS guys is a whole different animal. In fact, I think many in the general public would be truly dangerous on the race skis I've tried. That said, I agree that most would be surprised how much fun carving can be on a dedicated front side ski.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow--then the general public might get their minds blown when they discover how much better their recreational resort on-piste skiing can be using more appropriate tools....

Wow? You've been hanging around here enough that you shouldn't be surprised. That said, you're preaching to the converted.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"A lot of us have great carving skis in the 75ish mm range and I for one really enjoy railing on those, but a race ski/tune to compete with the FIS guys is a whole different animal. In fact, I think many in the general public would be truly dangerous on the race skis I've tried."

I don't think anyone is recommending nascent citizen racers compete directly with FIS ranked professionals, nor do I see folks recommending race skis/tunes for such beginners--that would indeed be counterproductive and potentially dangerous.

What I do see is several individual suggesting having two categories: a beginner race series where folks can ski on whatever they want--be it a 115mm powder ski, 80+ mm all mountain skis, 70-80mm sport carvers, or a cheater race ski, as well as a second grouping for veteran competitors who will most likely be using serious sub-70mm true race skis.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I do see is several individual suggesting having two categories: a beginner race series where folks can ski on whatever they want--be it a 115mm powder ski, 80+ mm all mountain skis, 70-80mm sport carvers, or a cheater race ski, as well as a second grouping for veteran competitors who will most likely be using serious sub-70mm true race skis.

The beer league I started with way back in the mid 90's had guys/gals in everything from sausage suits on WC race skis to tele skis, all mountain skis of the day, and a snowboard or two. It's a beer league, it's for fun. AND, many of those beginners (myself included) that showed up on all mountain skis got hooked and went full in and bought the gear, and eventually joined the Masters class with the others in the sausage suits. You're not going to be competitive on wider skis, but if you get bitten by the race bug, you'll soon realize you need race skis to compete in the bigger races. It's a way to get more participation in amateur ski racing, which, at least from my view on the east coast, seems to be in decline right now.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've skied moguls on FIS GS gs skis down
Yup--there needs to be a lot more opportunities for citizen racing at every level.
Marcus just seems like a guy that would be awesome to ski/après with.

Also that hill reminds me we are spoiled, my local hill which I can see from my porch is 12 minutes away, it lets me ski a total of 1312 feet vert, or 950 feet vert on a black run.

Our new indoor arena is 300 feet vert.....which is more than thoose minnesota peoples hill... I kinda remnd myself of that when I bitch about it beeing small and boring.