• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

85+ width ski for racing?

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Our local beer league must have realized that the pool of participants has been limited to those willing to race against ex-USA team and Olympic skiers so they added a new category to try for a wider audience. It requires skis of 85mm or wider and I'm thinking of biting on this one.

Any opinions about what skis in this width might be good candidates for racing? Maybe something like a Monster 88?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Original + Mod.8
:ogbiggrin:

Mind you if you just want something tossable the Atomic Vantage 86 TI keeps a good edge whilst being quite light.

Last edited:

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Brahma 88: 2 sheets of metal and will hold when put on edge. If they allow 82mm, the Brahma 82 will be even better. I own both.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Our local beer league must have realized that the pool of participants has been limited to those willing to race against ex-USA team and Olympic skiers so they added a new category to try for a wider audience. It requires skis of 85mm or wider and I'm thinking of biting on this one.

Any opinions about what skis in this width might be good candidates for racing? Maybe something like a Monster 88?
Pretty sure a FIS level racer on fat skis would still stomp everyone else even if everyone else was on cheaters.

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Pretty sure a FIS level racer on fat skis would still stomp everyone else even if everyone else was on cheaters.
Yeah, but the vast majority of those won't be in the 85+ class (at least in our town). I was told the whole point of that class is to offer a place for non-FIS folks to participate. If any of them were to move over and kill us we'd make fun of them for picking on us and make them buy the drinks.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think the SForce Bold is 84 which stinks because that would be perfect.
Yeah, that’s closer. Put wax on the edges and measure.
The premise is kind of odd. You could just limit the entry pool.

James

Out There
Instructor
They should make it all-snowblades. Then it's no worse than an F1 driver showing up and kicking your bums at go-kart.
Well if it’s by length the carving elans etc would kick butt. Then it becomes Euro carve fest.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heat #8 punch of right size to glowing red, place carefully over 6 to create the 8, Voila! You now have 85mm waisted skis :ogbiggrin: that look skinny.....Just say its the graphics.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I assume it's GS only? Kastle MX 89 r18 should be sweet.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

You know it.

Monster 88's 2016~2020 :ogbiggrin: (dirtbag choice)

Of course, Kastle MX89's would be even nicer. ($ choice)

That said, I hear the Fischer RC ONE 86 GT is a beast and its a great deal here:

Sponsor

Staff online