• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
During my many years skiing at Snowbird, I have often found some pride in skiing as much vertical feet as possible. For a while, the best way to do this was to simply hit every single tram. This would equate to around 60-65,000 Vert (21-23 trams X 2900'). On a fast day, it wasn't too challenging, and you'd still have time to grab a drink, hit the restroom, or even swap your skis (if parked in the right place) and still make the same tram (as long as it was a non-busy day).

I loved Snowbird for the simple reason that the resort skis so efficiently. Straight up, and straight down (whether down Great Scott/Silver Fox, or Chips).

This year, it dawned on me (I'm a little slow :)) that the new Peruvian Express lift, that they put in about 13 years ago (and I'm not a fan of it or the tunnel) covers nearly 2600 vertical feet. The lift takes the same approx. 8 minutes to get to the top. If they kept their publish SLA, I figured I had a shot at 90,000 vertical feet.

So, I picked a day mid-week, when the crowds would be down, but the snow would still be fast. I waxed my skis, loaded up a Camelback, some protein bars and went for it.

This ended up being one of the toughest things I have ever done. My legs were fine. However, I found that the lift did not maintain it's eight minute pace and this would mean I had no margin of error. After about four runs, I knew 90k was out of reach, so I reset my goal for 80,000.

Before the days of the current Peruvian chair, it was quite easy to fly down the mountain, because the beginners crowd didn't ride the Tram much and preferred to stay in the Gad Valley. Even though I chose a great day for crowds, I had to watch every line and area very carefully. I had flat lighting all day and this added to the challenge...as did colder weather than I was prepared for, and a full bladder I couldn't relieve until after I hit my goal.

I've included a screen shot of my Ski Tracks report, but as some of you may know this app isn't 100% accurate. I know the Vertical feet is accurate (because I manually counted the lifts as well), but the number of runs isn't. I actually had 34 runs. One Tram (First run @ 9am), 29 Peruvian Expresses (until 4pm), and four Wilbere.

I think the craziest stat here is that my body traveled 113 miles (including lift travel) in the 7.5 hours of skiing.

I'm not sure what the record is at Snowbird or anywhere else, but I'm pretty sure this is right up there w/the most vertical ever skied in a single day (under normal operating hours - 9:00am-4:30pm...and not bad for an older forty-something dude :) Thanks for letting me share.
IMG_8598.jpg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Wow!

A strange metric. Not at all related to "why I ski". (my perspective)

A testament to the diversity of interests in our passion.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have a friend who skied, I believe 72K’ during regular hours 9am to 4pm on John Paul lift at Snowbasin. The chair is 2400’ vert. & I think he made 30 runs. At full speed the ride is about 9minutes but they run it slower & is closer to 11 minutes.
So compared to that attempt, your record is safe.
Strong work!

TS
Downtown

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow!

A strange metric. Not at all related to "why I ski". (my perspective)

A testament to the diversity of interests in our passion.

It's not really "why I ski" either. :) In fact, I get sick to my stomach sometimes when I watch these powder skiers bombing beautiful deep pow, when I try to get as many turns as I can. I enjoy carving the grooved just as much...but there are "fast days" still left in me...but probably not many more.

TS
Downtown

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a friend who skied, I believe 72K’ during regular hours 9am to 4pm on John Paul lift at Snowbasin. The chair is 2400’ vert. & I think he made 30 runs. At full speed the ride is about 9minutes but they run it slower & is closer to 11 minutes.
So compared to that attempt, your record is safe.
Strong work!

Impressive! Didn't consider Snowbasin. It's too bad, they don't run that chair to the top of the Grizzly DH...then maybe we could beat it :)

Great resort!

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cool! Now get yourself to Heavenly when they've got snow... you should be able to top 125,000' in a day lapping the tram and/or Gunbarrel!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice job Downtown.

I have a friend who swears by Keystone, CO, of all places, for a good mountain to log big vertical on a quiet day. He uses two HSQs off North Peak there, Santiago and Ruby chairs, and has logged around 75k vertical in a day at age 60+. Both of those chairs rise out of same base area and have 1600’ vertical. Santiago chair ride takes only 4.5 mins. Both chairs serve some groomed single black diamond runs.

I don’t usually focus on vertical feet skied during a day, but could see doing it on a quiet day by myself just for grins and a good workout. Do you ever divide cost of ticket vs. vertical feet skied – that’s kind of fun to calculate? A couple of years ago (Jan 2016) I was at a small ski area in Virginia with only 500 vertical, Bryce Mountain. I bought a senior four hour ticket for $25 and did 26 continuous runs on their fixed grip double chair. Doesn’t sound like much compared to your effort, but it required that I kept moving almost every second, either riding or skiing.

I got free rock star parking about 50 feet from the beginner area and I was able to quickly go back and forth from my car to switch and test three different pairs of skis from my garage “quiver”. I suppose the switch-outs cost me a run or two. I took 26 chairlift rides and never once rode with another person, and I even used deodorant that morning:) It took about nine minutes to do a lap, eight on the lift and one on the slopes.

Bryce Mtn, VA:
1452992452_qlbsawdmw.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While this might not define what skiing is to everyone...It is pretty damn cool feat to attempt in a day. I am not sure how many 60K days I have had in my life or if I would even attempt or shoot for a day over 75K, but you have my wheels turning. I have a froend that did 14 Tram laps at Jackson Hole which is an impressive feat unto itself, but she was also on a dew demo ski every run.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
In terms of places for racking up huge vertical...

Stowe's Graham (former owner of Edgewise for those of you who remember that shop) pulled off 51 laps on the quad:
http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_rep...cle_dceab14e-8cc2-11e2-b451-001a4bcf887a.html

51 laps * 2050 vertical = 104,550 vertical feet. :eek::eek:

I've had a handful of low 30k days over the years... I'm generally regretting it in the morning. :nono:

Just thinking about the math. He was out for eight hours. The ride up takes eight minutes, so 408 minutes of his 480 minutes were spent on the chair. So that leaves 72 minutes to bang out 51 laps, or 84 seconds per lap. :hail::hail::hail:

James

Out There
Instructor
Impressive @Downtown!
So 80,059vert ft /34 runs = 2,355 vert ft/run
7hrs 30 min = 450min
34 lifts x 11min/lift = 374min
76 min skiing time
76min/34 runs = 2.24 min/run or 2 min 14 sec per run

In terms of places for racking up huge vertical...

Stowe's Graham (former owner of Edgewise for those of you who remember that shop) pulled off 51 laps on the quad:
http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_rep...cle_dceab14e-8cc2-11e2-b451-001a4bcf887a.html

51 laps * 2050 vertical = 104,550 vertical feet. :eek::eek:

I've had a handful of low 30k days over the years... I'm generally regretting it in the morning. :nono:

Just thinking about the math. He was out for eight hours. The ride up takes eight minutes, so 408 minutes of his 480 minutes were spent on the chair. So that leaves 72 minutes to bang out 51 laps, or 84 seconds per lap. :hail::hail::hail:
Wow, never knew Graham did that. A minute 24 per lap down Hayride!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there are lots of places you could get big vertical like this. The real challenge is going non-stop all day.
The last time I was at Killington, I did 5 Superstar quad to Ovation laps at 10 to 11 minutes per lap (1173 vertical), which would work out between 70K and 80K for a day.
But 5 was about all I could do in a row, not 60 to 70.
oops -- arithmetic error! that pace is only 50K per day!

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
[
View attachment 44132 [/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, what is the deal on your Ski Tracks profile? It is showing the majority of laps between about 9600' and 9000', which certainly doesn't match Peruvian (about 8100' to 10,600' as I recall).

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Quite an accomplishment, the most I've ever done was 52,000.

We had a guy average 66,000 every day except one of the 15-16 season. https://northernrockiesview.com/2016/04/27/the-vert-top-10-of-2016/
Part way through the season he'd had a 115,000 day. http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/03/1...asses-6-million-vertical-feet-and-counting-2/

And he wanted to outdo that record.
http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/11/29/man-on-a-mission/

But... He got injured the next year. And didn't show up at all this year. So, don't let this become a habit. There's only one guy here that's stayed in the top 5 continuously the last 15 years. Most of the others are not even in the top 100 anymore. More like the top 1000. Some due to injury (at last three I can think of), even more due to burnout. This might be an age thing. The guys able to ski day after day are usually the unemployed, i.e., retirees.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yikes! Talk about turning skiing into a trip to the salt mines...

Oh, I dunno, if he's got good super G skis and a penchant for speed it could be a really interesting entertainment zone. As in 'remarkably peaceful and Zenlike'.

Besides I bet he got really efficient at turn release & initiation - 'coz it would be too painful not to.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh, I dunno, if he's got good super G skis and a penchant for speed it could be a really interesting entertainment zone. As in 'remarkably peaceful and Zenlike'.

Besides I bet he got really efficient at turn release & initiation - 'coz it would be too painful not to.
No, it's a nightmare. It's one thing to do it for a day or a weekend. But 122 days, 7-8 hrs everyday?? Awful.