• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

8 ways snow makes you a happier person

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Awaiting its arrival drives an incredible sense of expectation

Followed by euphoria when it makes its appearance

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
3961581026_33d3076b7d_b.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some winters we have to shovel 2 dozen times..I never get sick of it..it's always dark and quiet. Makes me happy.

You must like ice fishing at night?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In winter I have a 600 foot long driveway to maintain. Running my snow blower is my second favourite winter activity because it is always followed by my favourite winter activity: skiing freshies.

And what would snow cones be without snow?....just a sticky syrup.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I had the same "arrangement" with a good neighbor of mine for many years. He was an late 70's to 80's YO that needed to be useful and I was an a younger man that liked to shovel my own drive and refused to buy a snowblower--I looked at shoveling as a workout. I'd often work from home and not bother shoveling until noonish, unless I was going skiing ;) . One morning I hear a snowblower and look out and Willie is snowblowing my driveway. My initial reaction is OMG, why is this older man snowblowing my drive when I'm fully capable of doing it myself. So, I go out and attempt to dissuade Willie from further snowblowing my drive. He wouldn't have any of it. He as much told me, "What else do I have to do?" So over the years I let him snowblow my drive knowing full well that I was "helping" Willie be a useful citizen; although I did cringe every time--me being a self sufficient type, and not wanting an octogenarian to bail me out, sort of speak. But we were good neighbors and helped each other in many ways. He did help me get out early to ski more than a few times :). Over the years his health failed and I became the snowblower person using his snowblower to first clear his drive and then do my own--just the right thing to do. This went on for many years until sadly Willie passed away :(. Dear Willie left me his snowblower, so now I snowblow my drive in "honor" of Willie--I think about him every time it snows.

Awwww what a sweet story of great neighbors. RIP Willie

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I once walked a mile across the lake from the fish hut home rather than take the sled just because it was -25c and a beautiful clear night. What a great walk that was.

Sorry. Didn't figured you for the sensitive type.

Ice fishing at night - Dude with a six pack sitting in a darken shack on the lake. Peace & quiet. No screaming kids, No wife. No hole in the ice? No worries, mate. We got beer :beercheer: :D

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They forgot about the "Hot Chocolate" that goes with any snow storm.:coffee:
And home made cookies. mmmmmmmm

Some winters we have to shovel 2 dozen times..I never get sick of it..it's always dark and quiet. Makes me happy.
When I used to run a business that plowed snow for commercial accounts, I would be the person to snow blow and shovel sidewalks from 2 am to 8 am, to get ahead of the plows and loaders. I absolutely loved the calm and quiet of being out there alone with the snow still falling.
Then.... I'd start the snow blower and it was game on.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very many years ago I used to drive a plow for a friend who had several trucks and contracted out to our town to plow some roads in addition to about 60 driveways. I did kind of like driving around all night through snowstorms. And the money wasn't bad either; the coffee mostly was though.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Too chunky.
Talking about the snow, the skier or perhaps your current condition after a long summer of back yard bbq? :D :duck:

Time to get in ski shape, eh!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
8 ways snow makes you a sad sack:

Shoveling the sidewalk.
Shoveling the driveway.
Clearing off the car.
Shoveling snow off the roof.
Shoveling the end of the driveway again after the plows come by and plow a barrier of heavy chunky dirty snow, ice and sludge across it to block you in.
Fixing the broken mailbox the plow knocked over yet again.
Getting stuck behind drivers who can't make it up the hill.
Everybody and their brother competing for fresh tracks.

Just having fun being Debbie Downer.

All but 2 of these can be improved upon with a more powerful snowblower. In addition you get the added joy of blowing it back at the snowplow.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Talking about the snow, the skier or perhaps your current condition after a long summer of back yard bbq? :D :duck:

Time to get in ski shape, eh!

The snow. And maybe I could lose a few pounds.... Hard to do being in the middle of the best beer in the world.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid