• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

8 ways snow makes you a happier person

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Huffington Post's Life and Wellness edition from 2015
8 Ways snow makes you a happier person

Snow...
  • Inspires our sense of wonder
  • Gives off calm, relaxing vibes
  • Links us to childhood memories
  • Gives us fun games and treats
  • Brings us into present moment
  • Brings people together
  • Reminds us of the beauty in nature
  • Its time is limited

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Huffington Post's Life and Wellness edition from 2015
8 Ways snow makes you a happier person

Snow...
  • Gives off calm, relaxing vibes
  • Gives us fun games and treats
  • Brings us into present moment
  • Brings people together
  • Its time is limited
Yes. This. :hug:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow...
  • Its time is limited
Some of these points remind me a of a Japanese saying, "yuki ga shiki desune?" which roughly means "this view is a snowy dreamscape isn't it?" After fresh snow I think about the saying and try to be present in the winter view that will continue to change.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
8 ways snow makes you a sad sack:

Shoveling the sidewalk.
Shoveling the driveway.
Clearing off the car.
Shoveling snow off the roof.
Shoveling the end of the driveway again after the plows come by and plow a barrier of heavy chunky dirty snow, ice and sludge across it to block you in.
Fixing the broken mailbox the plow knocked over yet again.
Getting stuck behind drivers who can't make it up the hill.
Everybody and their brother competing for fresh tracks.

Just having fun being Debbie Downer.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
I actually like shoveling snow ... but I suspect that's only because around here we don't get too much, so I don't have to shovel too often - maybe a couple times a winter.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
8 ways snow makes you a sad sack:

Shoveling the sidewalk.
Shoveling the driveway.
Clearing off the car.
Shoveling snow off the roof.
Shoveling the end of the driveway again after the plows come by and plow a barrier of heavy chunky dirty snow, ice and sludge across it to block you in.
Fixing the broken mailbox the plow knocked over yet again.
Getting stuck behind drivers who can't make it up the hill.
Everybody and their brother competing for fresh tracks.

Just having fun being Debbie Downer.
Or my favorite:
Opening the bill from the Ambulance Company from the 911 call you had to make during your MI caused by shoveling snow!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our neighbor has a snow blower so he snow blows our cars out + I buy Paul a bottle of tequila = Paul is a very happy neighbor.

I had the same "arrangement" with a good neighbor of mine for many years. He was an late 70's to 80's YO that needed to be useful and I was an a younger man that liked to shovel my own drive and refused to buy a snowblower--I looked at shoveling as a workout. I'd often work from home and not bother shoveling until noonish, unless I was going skiing ;) . One morning I hear a snowblower and look out and Willie is snowblowing my driveway. My initial reaction is OMG, why is this older man snowblowing my drive when I'm fully capable of doing it myself. So, I go out and attempt to dissuade Willie from further snowblowing my drive. He wouldn't have any of it. He as much told me, "What else do I have to do?" So over the years I let him snowblow my drive knowing full well that I was "helping" Willie be a useful citizen; although I did cringe every time--me being a self sufficient type, and not wanting an octogenarian to bail me out, sort of speak. But we were good neighbors and helped each other in many ways. He did help me get out early to ski more than a few times :). Over the years his health failed and I became the snowblower person using his snowblower to first clear his drive and then do my own--just the right thing to do. This went on for many years until sadly Willie passed away :(. Dear Willie left me his snowblower, so now I snowblow my drive in "honor" of Willie--I think about him every time it snows.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Snow is fun to drive in too, so long as you can see where you're going.
I was driving home from Lake Placid in the dark through the Adirondack Park and having a helluva fun time, snow was falling heavily, doing nice 4 wheel slides around corners..my wife mostly put up with it until I asked her "Can you see if this next turn goes left or right?"

Sponsor

Staff online