• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

8 degree base bevel

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
20190502_021852937_iOS.jpg

I've posted about this method before. It should be fairly obvious how this is done. The key is using an Irwin quick grip clamp with the freely rotating jaws.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I must have missed the joke. :huh:

It just seems hyper technical to me. I know folks like to know what the bevel is, but seems like not really needed for most folks.
I'll assume the thing must calibrate somehow because making the ski perfectly lay flat would be quite hard to do in most cases.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It just seems hyper technical to me. I know folks like to know what the bevel is, but seems like not really needed for most folks.
I'll assume the thing must calibrate somehow because making the ski perfectly lay flat would be quite hard to do in most cases.

Yes, easily calibrates to the ski bottom first.

Digital angle gauges are incredibly cheap and easily obtainable (unlike the ski specific angle measuring devices).

I post this every time I see posts about all these complicated methods to "estimate" the base bevel angle. My method is not an estimate, but a true measurement and one that uses easily obtainable tools.

Jacques

Skier
Yes, easily calibrates to the ski bottom first.

Digital angle gauges are incredibly cheap and easily obtainable (unlike the ski specific angle measuring devices).

I post this every time I see posts about all these complicated methods to "estimate" the base bevel angle. My method is not an estimate, but a true measurement and one that uses easily obtainable tools.

I can appreciate that, yet still see it as a bit of novelty.
If one uses a fixed guide, and or has an "eye" with the true bar, do you really need that? Reading and seeing reflections. Black marker with bevel tool.
I admit to having some microscopes and loops to view edge work, but after you learn what is happening, it just becomes trivial.
It's like having a window into a hot box. Window or not, the same thing is happening.
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe others would like a link as to where to purchase that angle gizmo! Respect for the Noodler.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I can appreciate that, yet still see it as a bit of novelty.
If one uses a fixed guide, and or has an "eye" with the true bar, do you really need that? Reading and seeing reflections. Black marker with bevel tool.
I admit to having some microscopes and loops to view edge work, but after you learn what is happening, it just becomes trivial.
It's like having a window into a hot box. Window or not, the same thing is happening.
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe others would like a link as to where to purchase that angle gizmo! Respect for the Noodler.

Link to the Wixey Digital Angle Gauge available on Amazon. Now it has a back light!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another Mike story.

I had him do a Factory Fresh tune at the beginning of last season for my FX94's (.5/3 bevels). While I was at Jackson I had the shop give them a quick sharpen. When I dropped the skis off last month Mike held them up to the light and said "you had someone else work on these". I don't know if my jaw actually dropped but he saw the difference almost immediately. He said they did a pretty good job but they were definitely different from his tune.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Another Mike story.

I had him do a Factory Fresh tune at the beginning of last season for my FX94's (.5/3 bevels). While I was at Jackson I had the shop give them a quick sharpen. When I dropped the skis off last month Mike held them up to the light and said "you had someone else work on these". I don't know if my jaw actually dropped but he saw the difference almost immediately. He said they did a pretty good job but they were definitely different from his tune.
maxresdefault.jpg

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
/\ I did feel a bit guilty at being caught :eek:

Reactions: eok

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Another Mike story.
... When I dropped the skis off last month Mike held them up to the light and said "you had someone else work on these". I don't know if my jaw actually dropped but he saw the difference almost immediately. He said they did a pretty good job but they were definitely different from his tune.

That's pretty cool... and a lot better than being told by your shop buddy: "Uh, looks like you tried to tune these yourself again, this will cost you extra". That happened to me a couple times when I was a clueless (but ambitious) youngster.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another Mike story.

At least he didn't take your skis to keep you from hurting them anymore!

Jacques

Skier

Where is the ha ha button!
I tell folks after I tune a ski, don't ever take it to a machine again. If so, they get charged from step one again!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'll have to be extra careful when I work on the skis at home now! Mostly I just wax during the season but if the edges need a slight touch up I'll do it myself. Now it'll be in the back of my mind....Mike will know.....Mike will know.... ogsmile

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^IMG that must weigh a ton. How did you get it out of the truck?
Got a Bobcat?
Believe it or not to load it the friend I bought it from (age 80 retiring and a little guy) and I loaded it, that was the easier part. Unloading took 4 of us to get it in place without dropping it.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Believe it or not to load it the friend I bought it from (age 80 retiring and a little guy) and I loaded it, that was the easier part. Unloading took 4 of us to get it in place without dropping it.

What are you using a ton of granite for?

Sponsor

Staff online