• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

78 vs 88

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would welcome thoughts on the difference (pros/cons) between a 78 underfoot ski and an 88 underfoot ski for an intermediate skier (5'9 / 170lbs) looking for what folks here refer to as "a daily driver" to ski on blues/blacks mainly on the east coast.

Would the 78 be "too narrow", would the 88 be "too wide"?

Thanks! :thumb:

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awful lot of unknowns here, but my hunch is 78 will be more versatile for you given skier level an geographic location.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Awful lot of unknowns here, but my hunch is 78 will be more versatile for you given skier level an geographic location.

Yes, I understand. It's "hard" to provide all the details - not sure I myself know them! Thanks.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yes, I understand. It's "hard" to provide all the details - not sure I myself know them! Thanks.

The usual:

where do you ski?
how do you like to ski?
how tall/heavy are you?
skill level?
what skis do you already have?
what skis have you liked in the past?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
skiing for yourself 78, following your son 88

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
N, you're still young and I think you'll progress faster and have an easier time navigating fresh and well spaced soft "new snow" bumps on a straighter, i.e., less sidecut rockered 88ish ski capable of slarving pivoty turns and not requiring 100% on at high edge angle carving, also a ski with acceptable float. Will help you move off of the groomers. I find the slower skiing in soft snow bumps and trees so much easier on my body to ski and much more enjoyable then the groomers rattling the fillings out of my teeth!

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
No to a, not too narrow.
Personally I think people develop better under 84mm. But only if they're trying to. Mainly because tipping the ski has such immediate feedback.

But everything can be tail pushed so nothing is in stone.

Makes sense. Good insight!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No to a, not too narrow.
Personally I think people develop better under 84mm. But only if they're trying to. Mainly because tipping the ski has such immediate feedback.

I think it's too much feedback for him, and I'm not suggesting he rely on and or remain a tail-pusher.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you like to go fast on ice get the 78. If you like to ski in the woods and smoosh around moguls get the 88.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know we have not skied much together Josh because if we had you would painfully know that the second option is NOT an option :D
Split the difference, go with a low 80's, or get both a 78 for firm and 88 for softer fresh snow fall days:) Also forget about keeping up with you son, from what I've seen it won't be long before @Josh Matta has trouble with that too.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think it's too much feedback for him, and I'm not suggesting he rely on and or remain a tail-pusher.
Yeah don't get that. The thing is on hardish snow an 88 will have more force coming back at the skier. Simply a surface area thing. That and where the edge is in relation to the inside of your foot-ball to heel is why I think the 78 is better.

When powder on eastern trails gets very cutup I basically prefer my slalom skis to my 95mm 192 Stormriders. There's just too much annoying chaotic forces coming back from the 95. Now if the 95 was a stiff crud beast with a tapered tip it might be different.
The key is getting the skis angled, on edge, slicing through. Most intermediates don't do that. It's a bit of a leap of faith, like going downhill to start a turn.

Overly stiff skis tend to increase the aft tail pushing tendency. But again, anything can support that.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah don't get that. The thing is on hardish snow an 88 will have more force coming back at the skier. Simply a surface area thing. That and where the edge is in relation to the inside of your foot-ball to heel is why I think the 78 is better.t.

Going back to the too many variables post - if the boot fit is suboptimal it will create differences similar to your hardish snow differences.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ @James, I agree with you wrt to hard snow, plus I get the idea you are a very technical skiier, he is not and I think both widiths of the "correct ski" at each width would work out better for him. No doubt the 78 would see more use given typical NE conditions, however, i think having the correct 88ish ski on hand would help him immensely on the free refill days we all crave!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. No doubt the 78 would see more use given typical NE conditions, however, i think having the correct 88ish ski on hand would help him immensely on the free refill days we all crave!

To my post, If he's overedged in the boot for any reason, the 88 might actually feel better 'given typical NE conditions'. Remember that old ski width and bowlegged vs knockkneed discussion on realskiers? Like that.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

^^^ That is good food for thought.
I'm 52 yo and am getting better each year with my front-side technique, and really want to take some lessons. My other pals are content at being predominantly tail pushers, and are fine with that. It gets them the enjoyment out of skiing that they need. Not unlike golf, some are content at shooting 95, whereas I strive to shoot 75, and I work damn hard at it as I am no golf natural. Same with my skiing, I want to improve. I wallowed around with mid-fats for far too long, and am now experimenting with 68-72mm skis.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the NE, definitely a 78. Better for development of technical skill.
I look at technical development like a retirement fund. Paid into it while you are young and you can enjoy it in our old age.

Sponsor