• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

5mm vs 7mm boot lifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
This is a picture of Ligety, Beaver Creek GS, I believe fall 2014. May have been 2013. It was when the 35M skis were being skied, and when Ligety skied a very round line {but a fast one vis a vis the field}. I was thinking of this particular turn, as a good number of his friends and competitors commented on it. Saw in on video and described it as the most "F***ing sick turn ever" in GS. So I tracked down a pic.

Note that Ligety's hand is on the hill {as it normally was/is}, and that his hip looks like it is. In reality, I don't think it was. Maybe an inch off the hill. Slight roll to the hill. He had a ton of pressure on that outside ski, which was critical with his technique, tactics, and the skis. It looks quickly like he's "hip checking" or "hipping out", but he's not. This was an amazing turn. This is when Ligety was also strong and healthy, with great core strength.

My reason for posting is to show the inside boot precariously close to "booting out." He also executed these turns with a huge amount of inclination. Convention would suggest that his shoulders should be more level, among other things. Convention did not enable him, back then, to be "Mr.GS". At this point of the turn, there is inclination going on. Now, things have changed a great deal, since. Ligety is a very long shot for a GS podium. Still a great skier, but he gives away a lot of real estate, skiing much the same

So maybe we have the OP generating these kind of angles?

View attachment 63200

Mr Shred is seen in this picture skiing on flat, manicured snow...OP does not boot out in flat, smooth snow.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Booting out on your inside ski on the flatter side of a moderate slope? Something is going on there

1st, Why do you have that much weight on your inside ski?
2nd, I would have someone view your skiing.
3rd I believe your'e on the right track with the "L" word except it might benefit your more using a Lesson that may be able to correct this situation before you add Lift to your boots.

Not trying to be snide but having someone evaluate your technique may give you better results as any defects up top only get magnified at the snow level. That and the same thing will probably occur with your new lifts if that's the case.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you all for your contributions. We are locking the thread at @RikkiBobbi 's request (he is done with this). Some of the discussion can be useful to other people reading this in the future. You never know what anonymous reader you could be helping when you post :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor