• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@raytseng - that lift is a blue square terrain trap. I don't think I have ever just skied on it. Granted I'm just a couple times a year tourist - so far be it from me to make an observation. That said, I have some clients in "the ski business" - they have all have DV passes (in addition to other mountains), we have client ski days at DV, we have always avoided that lift. But what do I know.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today was Epic!

Why? Well the surfaces were amazing, as good as any day all year long, and..... DV was empty! Pretty amazing being it is spring break at the local school district, we are guessing they were all at PCMR today.

Unusually, we skied in a small group today so it was a bit more gentle than normal, but still got in 16 runs in 2 hours and 36 minutes. Only 12.8K vertical so it was pretty casual skiing today.

It was close to a :bestday: and certainly a :yeah: day!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@raytseng - that lift is a blue square terrain trap. I don't think I have ever just skied on it. Granted I'm just a couple times a year tourist - so far be it from me to make an observation. That said, I have some clients in "the ski business" - they have all have DV passes (in addition to other mountains), we have client ski days at DV, we have always avoided that lift. But what do I know.

I would totally avoid that lift and area, it is terrible, normally super crowded, and pretty crappy conditions. It is a one and done area for me!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today we hit the “window” just right for the sun and surface. It was awesome, pretty crispy the first run then epic for the next 15! We stopped for lunch, a wife thing :facepalm:, and it was super soft and mushy the last run back to the lodge. 13.5K vertical in 2 1/2 hours just cruising and chilling.

I’ll likely take 1 run tomorrow as I have a thing to do.... But Sunday is looking pretty good on closing day at DV so who knows.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today we hit the “window” just right for the sun and surface. It was awesome, pretty crispy the first run then epic for the next 15! We stopped for lunch, a wife thing :facepalm:, and it was super soft and mushy the last run back to the lodge. 13.5K vertical in 2 1/2 hours just cruising and chilling.

I’ll likely take 1 run tomorrow as I have a thing to do.... But Sunday is looking pretty good on closing day at DV so who knows.
Missed you this AM.

KdNllgocQ7+Kg8fL6TiaIg.jpg

We did make a quick stop a the The Stein Ericksen Lodge with some pretty cool people Alan Shoenberger, @Tricia @Bob Salernon Dave Ingemie and @Justin Koski. Other that we we were skiing with not in the picture, Susie Chaffee, Tom Kelly and Richard Allen.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Missed you this AM.

View attachment 70466
We did make a quick stop a the The Stein Ericksen Lodge with some pretty cool people Alan Shoenberger, @Tricia @Bob Salernon Dave Ingemie and @Justin Koski. Other that we we were skiing with not in the picture, Susie Chaffee, Tom Kelly and Richard Allen.

We had lunch at Stein today, then skied through SLUSH to St. Regis to make an exit.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why does DV close so early?

I am assuming it has to do with employees who are seasonal and then there is gearing up for the summer activities which are aplenty at DV. The will start converting ski chair lifts to mountain bike chair lift likely starting Monday.

DV also has pretty low elevation 7300’ at St. Regis and a bit lower at Snow Park. Things get soft pretty quickly down low this time of year.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yep those who do not like slush tend to push on their skis. Slush is actually the easiest thing to ski.....

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I used to hate slush. Well, I still hate slush if there is no slope and there is a lot of it. There are some spots on DV that are really flat and pretty terrible with slush. Basically that whole area near Mariposa/Steins. Runout to Carpenter lift is also pretty long and flat.

@Started at 53 just keep skiing what you like. I think the slush at DV may be different than what some assume...

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to hate slush. Well, I still hate slush if there is no slope and there is a lot of it. There are some spots on DV that are really flat and pretty terrible with slush. Basically that whole area near Mariposa/Steins. Runout to Carpenter lift is also pretty long and flat.

@Started at 53 just keep skiing what you like. I think the slush at DV may be different than what some assume...

Agreed, the whole flat area around mid-mountain was terrible, as was the bottom of upper Big Stick near the intersection with Kimberly and then the point from the Little Stick cat track intersection with Deer Hollow to St. Regis where we ended our day was slow and sticky.

The great thing about living here is I can ski the conditions I LIKE!

Maybe those less fortunate have to ski conditions I find less than desirable. :roflmao:

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

I used to hate slush too, particularly when I was new to skiing. Anything other than a groomer was less than desirable. I used to have zero desire to ski slush and my season used to end way earlier. I used to long for groomers. Now I love slush for lots of reasons and nothing makes me happier than a run bumped up top to bottom. The longer I've been skiiing means the more varied terrain I'll ski down. I just love to ski and have come to love and appreciate all conditions. Skiiing in any condition just means my season is that much longer and that makes me happy.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
So, will you be going to Alta now?
Spring is an excellent time to make real progress. Wet corn has tons of feedback to the skier.
Plus, Alta is probably weeks from corn? It's got to be colder there.