• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hear Deer Valley uses the ice they take off the trails at night to keep seafood fresh. I guess they missed that Kate trail? Well, at least you got some good lobster. We have people flying from the west coast to Boston getting bad lobster rolls at Cheers imposter bars. To think, they could have just gone skiing at DV, had better lobster roll, and helped the ice problem.
I haven’t seen lobster at DV, maybe the subject of my daily written complaint. But there’s a place in town that specializes. It’s been previously discussed on PS and if I recall correctly it included discussion of the Cheers burning.

Freshies stands up to the best according to trained judges. We’re talking L3 and examiner lobster judges.

James

Out There
Instructor
Posted this in the Freshies thread.

Those lobsters are probably from Kentucky! Refugee lobsters. John McPhee wrote a whole piece on this UPS shipping center years ago. It was very involved setting it up with biologists, and many others consulting. It's way beyond packing them in ice. The center also has outside companies with shops and storage there. As I remember it, that center had a shop with the largest supply of Bentley parts in it, another fixed all Toshiba laptops in the US.
One of the most interesting stories was the ship captains that train in Switzerland. They train with large scale model ships in pools and a pond. It's really complex with the level of detail.
Then there's the trucker that delivers a full tanker of WD 40. Some great stories in the book.
IMG_5788.JPG

But here's a very simplified article from the Economist. The McPhee story is far more interesting.
----------
"Once they have been caught by the fishermen in Nova Scotia that supply Clearwater, they are taken to Louisville by truck, a journey that can last more than 30 hours. There they recover in tanks filled with saltwater made from mixing the necessary ingredients with fresh water. The water is kept clean by being passed through giant versions of the sort of filters and skimmers that keep saltwater made from mixing the necessary ingredients with fresh water. The water is kept clean by being passed through giant versions of the sort of filters and skimmers that keep saltwater aquariums in good shape. When an order comes in, the lobsters are packed in special containers for UPS to deliver in good shape."
-------------------
https://www.economist.com/special-report/2006/06/15/just-in-time-lobsters

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How long are you sidelined?

I've been counting my blessings. A dear friend crashed on New Year's Day as we were all skiing together. Blue run, big, fast GS turns, great snow. BAM! I was behind her. She is a VERY good skier. She has multiple serious knee injuries requiring multiple surgeries. My tibial plateau from 4 years ago pales in comparison.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
No, don't think so. She recalls hitting a big snow/ice chunk. I saw her catch an edge.
what type of injuries did she suffer? You caught my attention when you said paling in comparison to your tibial plateau fx which is a pretty nasty injury. That is too bad for your friend. Hope she heals up okay.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven’t seen lobster at DV, maybe the subject of my daily written complaint. But there’s a place in town that specializes. It’s been previously discussed on PS and if I recall correctly it included discussion of the Cheers burning.

Freshies stands up to the best according to trained judges. We’re talking L3 and examiner lobster judges.

The Freshies rolls are Great

How long are you sidelined?

I've been counting my blessings. A dear friend crashed on New Year's Day as we were all skiing together. Blue run, big, fast GS turns, great snow. BAM! I was behind her. She is a VERY good skier. She has multiple serious knee injuries requiring multiple surgeries. My tibial plateau from 4 years ago pales in comparison.

I suspect I would have been out for two weeks, but I’m sitting on a plane now departing SLC heading to the Middle East for three weeks then two in Orlando, so I have 5 weeks off

I’ll be more than ready when I get back

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@Started at 53, I hope you recover quickly. I would suggest something that you probably already know, as a golf professional. You will likely make much more progress in your skiing, and be safer and less likely to injure yourself, if you seek professional instruction. You are much less likely to injure yourself in golf, but in skiing incorrect biomechanics not only hinders your long term development, but also can cause injury to yourself, others, or property damage.

Mike

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just got caught up on this thread. @Started at 53 , that sucks! I hope you heal up fast.

Couple contrarian points -

Knowing how to fall is not a guarantee that you won't get injured. It's good to know how to fall, but shit happens to the best of us. Any one individual's experience is - just that. Or to put it differently, just because you hurt yourself when you fall doesn't mean it's your fault. Again, shit happens. Also, as you said, things can go real fast. Sometimes when I fall (not just skiing), it's like there was no in between state - there is "I'm fine" and then there's "I'm on the ground" - and I don't have any memory of the part in between.

Knee braces. After I blew out my ACL, I saw two docs. The first one doesn't ski - he said I should wear a carbon knee brace for a couple of years after the surgery. The second does ski - he said that braces have mixed results. They protect ligaments, but can increase the risk of damaging the meniscus in a fall. FWIW, while ligament reconstruction sucks - meniscus repair outcomes are all over the map, often not successful, and almost impossible to assess the damage and reconstruction chances via MRI. My personal choice was to avoid a brace - I know several people who started using one, and they never develop the confidence to ski without it. At this point I really have no concerns about my knee - it's not something I think about when I ski or when I fall, and I've had several impressive falls since I came back. But again, personal choice. You are skiing different terrain than I do, with different goals, at a different age. Now, a soft brace to give just a little support and compression - sure, why not? I've yet to find one that doesn't bunch in the back of my knee and get annoying AF, but if you can find something like that, it will keep the soft tissue a little warmer and more pliable, and the compression will just plain feel good.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I’ve had good luck with Ossur Roundup soft wraparound braces that are all fabric except for small joints on each side. No experience with bunching behind the knees

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Update:

I am doing well and walking nearly normal. Still wearing braces on travel days as I don’t want luggage falling into my knees and it keeps people away a bit. That being said, I walked over 30 miles last Thursday thru Sunday and only had some soreness on Friday afternoon. IF I was home I would most likely ski tomorrow, albeit gentle terrain to test things out at first. BUT.... I am in Saudi Arabia working so no skiing.

I am 100% convinced that all the strength training I did on my legs all last summer and fall prevented a much more serious injury and also has me recovering faster than would be the case otherwise. So maybe it was over the top training, but it was beneficial.

I am torn on whether to ski with braces or not, I can see benefits to both, kind of like straps or no straps on ski poles. I did buy one that Andy Mink suggested for my right knee as it is the one that has previously had surgery (non-skiing event).

This and two more weeks until I am home, I will be VERY ready to get out there by that time. And with some new planks (85 waist) most likely IF there is some fresh snow

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Being in good physical condition will power you through a huge variety of setbacks. Glad you're are going to get back to skiing in the near future. More snow for the West this weekend so get ready!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Being in good physical condition will power you through a huge variety of setbacks. Glad you're are going to get back to skiing in the near future. More snow for the West this weekend so get ready!

I know, looks like 15” or so from Saturday thru Wednesday at DV, but I am working! My wife is heading to the slops as I type then while waiting for my dinner to arrive

Sponsor

Staff online