• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s one knee doing behind the other?
I wasn't intentional, I asuure you. But it isn't good when a mistake doesn't go away. Especially when you don't know what happened. I guess it's a good way to avoid excessive tip lead in the bumps, though.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried that briefly, but the hinge on one got stuck behind the band on the other . Yikes!
Inside or outside of the ski pants?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Inside or outside of the ski pants?
Inside...the fabric got tucked in. Dont wwant to overstate it, once i moved the correct direction, it came right apart. But my first panicky reaction went the wrong way and jammed it harder.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My one day at DV they had put away the groomers just before a freezing rain. First time I ever skied groom so frozen I could not get an edge into it
DV has a lot of fairly steep, narrowish, heavily trafficked groomed runs that while not eastern go through periods of pretty firm. Rain doesn't happen that much but what is frequent is warm before the storm then no precip fronts followed by cold air. It helps to have slalom race skis or something good on a hard surface.

I don't think an MX 84 is the funnest ski but it functions well when my fun ones just aren't fun.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Inside...the fabric got tucked in. Dont wwant to overstate it, once i moved the correct direction, it came right apart. But my first panicky reaction went the wrong way and jammed it harder.
Was just curious as I am now skiing with one brace and, honestly, a second doesn't seem far fetched. The biggest problem is, while it offers lateral support to keep the knee from going sideways, it doesn't do much for a bending rotational situation, like a slow, twisting fall. That's what got me into this mess to start with.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Was just curious as I am now skiing with one brace and, honestly, a second doesn't seem far fetched. The biggest problem is, while it offers lateral support to keep the knee from going sideways, it doesn't do much for a bending rotational situation, like a slow, twisting fall. That's what got me into this mess to start with.
I am wearing one Don-Joy and a sleeve on the older repair since then.
I'm leaning towards giving up my remaining brace. Yesterday I was booting up at the car, which I almost never do, and the velcro got all tangled up. So I left it. But I have it on today.

I am septic all that it can be tight enough to do anything in most situations. But my last injury was one that a brace could have prevented -- a straight forward over thrust when my ski hit something under the snow and stopped. (If my knee was bent it probably could have taken the load, but I was rejoining a group and had mentally stopped skiing, "just" gliding into the group standing up.)

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Guess this is all part of the journey! I feel fortunate that my first real injury was 20+ years into it. Heal quickly!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

I wore a brace on the knee with a plate and screws in it for several years after the surgery, and added a second when I tore the MCL on the other leg. Wore the two for about three years and have finally abandoned the braces. I was glad to have them on last year when I got taken down from behind again, but now I only ski weekends if working.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There might be a separate thread on how good, experienced skiers end up with knee injuries. Although this thread has become like a Sub-forum, maybe we don't need a separate thread.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have to have a knee injury, strained LCL is the one to have. One of my friends badly strained one of his playing adult hockey. (It's a non-checking league. He just made a weird move to block a shot and his knee crumpled.) He was back on ice the same season.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you have to have a knee injury, strained LCL is the one to have. One of my friends badly strained one of his playing adult hockey. (It's a non-checking league. He just made a weird move to block a shot and his knee crumpled.) He was back on ice the same season.

I am off my crutches on level ground, stairs are still an issue. But I have been making big improvements everyday. Still wearing the knee braces when I leave the house though.

Sadly headed to work for 5 weeks today, but that will stop me from trying to ski too early. I will hit the stationary bike Thursday morning to start getting ready for my comeback:)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He’s already recovered enough to eat lobster rolls.

James

Out There
Instructor
He’s already recovered enough to eat lobster rolls.
I hear Deer Valley uses the ice they take off the trails at night to keep seafood fresh. I guess they missed that Kate trail? Well, at least you got some good lobster. We have people flying from the west coast to Boston getting bad lobster rolls at Cheers imposter bars. To think, they could have just gone skiing at DV, had better lobster roll, and helped the ice problem.