• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@HDSkiing
Trust me, I am about having fun and progressing. I am really into the surroundings, as mentioned above, I like the spiritual side of the sport a lot. I am a big believer in lessons, and ONLY do 1 on 1 lessons. I have taken lessons (1 on 1 privates) 4 of the 6 days I have been on snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been on a belt and I will say they are not as intuative as you expect. @Tricia and I were on one in San Fransisco last year. Tricia had just gotten some new boots and didn't have them canted or lifted and immediately felt it. It is a unique controlled environment that can show weeknesses and shortcomings. I for one am really excited to see @Started at 53's progression through this 'breakout" season.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I have been on a belt and I will say they are not as intuative as you expect. @Tricia and I were on one in San Fransisco last year. Tricia had just gotten some new boots and didn't have them canted or lifted and immediately felt it. It is a unique controlled environment that can show weeknesses and shortcomings. I for one am really excited to see @Started at 53's progression through this 'breakout" season.

If there was one nearby I think it would be at the least fun to try a "belt," I might even video it so we could all have a good laugh:).

That aside it seems like a great tool when no snows around.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@HDSkiing

I can promise you, there is no snow around here. I officially live in the sub-tropics. I had to drive 90 minutes to the carpet. Sadly, it only opens at 3pm, so I get lucky and can drive back during rush hour traffic :doh:

We are looking at houses in the Park City area.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
My eleven-year-old granddaughter had a lesson on a Ski-Dek last fall. She didn't want to do a ski school lesson on the mountain because Grandpa couldn't be with her, but I could be there to watch her at the indoor lesson so she felt comfortable enough to try that. It went really well and she has progressed quickly since then. I will probably do the same thing for my other grandchildren when they are ready to start.

HDSkiing

Skier
@HDSkiing

I can promise you, there is no snow around here. I officially live in the sub-tropics. I had to drive 90 minutes to the carpet. Sadly, it only opens at 3pm, so I get lucky and can drive back during rush hour traffic :doh:

We are looking at houses in the Park City area.

Wow, that’s a ways to go, especially so late in the day for what I’m guessing is a limited amount of time, great dedication which I’m sure will pay dividends. I’m also guessing that you then need to travel a considerably greater distance to ski as well.

A house in Park City sounds awesome, especially if you can spend a lot of, or all of your time there. The more you get to be on skis, at altitude you will begin to see huge leaps, not just in technique but in being able to “ski strong” meaning that regardless of level you will be very stable and fatigue will be a minor issue at most, meaning you can Ski more practice more and so on. I know of a guy who went from being a never-ever to a Level 1 certified instructor in two ski seasons by skiing every day. He’s working full time at Telluride now and quite an awesome skier.

Next to reading about reviews,(I’m a ski nerd) I think reading about personal achievements and experiences is my fav part of these forums. Great inspiration for those thinking about starting, getting better or going to the next level (whatever that is).

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure and breakthroughs!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@HDSkiing
Sadly, the carpet only opens at 3pm, so I had no choice on the timing. Luckily I have the time to do it, but that traffic on the drive back it painful.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hit up the carpet again yesterday. It was a bit of a disaster. Here are two videos, one before a big crash, and one between the 1st and 2nd crashes. I “practiced” tipping and preparing for S turns in the house this week and started reading HH’s book. Problem, and I mean HUGE problem on a carpet is your can’t really tip skis, as the carpet catches the outside edge of the new inside ski and you immediately go DOWN. I have bruised ribs. NO Moore carpet skiing for me as I don’t want to ingrain wedge turning.

So here are the last videos until I his real snow in December

Only good thing was my skis were closer together and more aligned than they were on Monday

HDSkiing

Skier
Carpet burns, ouch!

The edges will catch on real snow too, but snow may be more forgiving. Remember pressure control as you move ski to ski, if your COM is over it when you tip, it’s going to engage to a greater extent than you may want or be prepared for, It will take some time/practice to figure that pressure transfer out.

Don’t worry about the wedge, even if you are doing just that you are building some muscle memory and more importantly muscular endurance/strength. Of course you want to move past the wedge, but at the same time you can also establish a very strong/stable platform. Consider trying to move into a Wedge Christy, where you are parallel skiing through part of the turn, guiding the inside ski into a parallel relationship along the traverse.

No recommendations for the carpet burns though!

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I just did this for the first time last week as well. Just found out about it in my city and decided to give it a try. Definitely not intuitive, but I started to kinda get the hang of it by the end of the hour. Ate shit a few times, and man is it way less forgiving than snow! I did find that any tiny imperfections in technique are magnified tremendously; it was quite humbling. I think I'll keep doing it, as I feel my instructor had some good feedback which will hopefully have a positive impact on my REAL SNOW skiing (t-minus 38 days).

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
Jay, I think the bruises will heal....and you may consider it again...You are definitely ready, and close to evolving your skiing on this device....that you were trying new things is great.

is it an advantage to try new stuff on the stabilizer bar or close to it until you feel more comfortable with new movements?.....

I think if you relax your arms a bit and perhaps get your poles a little bit more active, it will help your confidence in turn transitions.....
I know you are not necessarily looking for MA, so Ill stay away from that.......I would hate to see you get too disappointed with this unique opportunity....

hang in there!

JP

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I am highly sceptical about the physics of revolving mat skiing. I have never tried it but have seen enough video of good skiers* looking uncomfortable on it to have doubts about whether it is really the same.

Plastic slopes no problem they behave in a similar way albeit at much higher friction to packed snow.

*as in years of WC starts.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I am highly sceptical about the physics of revolving mat skiing. I have never tried it but have seen enough video of good skiers* looking uncomfortable on it to have doubts about whether it is really the same.

Plastic slopes no problem they behave in a similar way albeit at much higher friction to packed snow.

*as in years of WC starts.

I agree that it is not exactly the same as snow, and there is a definite learning curve. I'm a pretty good skier, and look somewhat like a toddler learning to walk in the above video. I think once you get past the nuanced "how" of the mat, it can be a good way to assess your skiing and work on small movements and mechanics. One very helpful thing is the 10 foot mirror that is right in front of you (not pictured in the videos above). That immediate feedback and being able to see your movements in real time (and hopefully correct any issues) is unique to this type of simulator. I found it helpful.

I feel the opposite about plastic slopes, which we also have in my town. While it's fun to go sliding on a crisp fall day, I find the interface inauthentic. tough to set an edge, and a lot more unintentional sideslipping.

For both surfaces, falling in much more unpleasant than on real snow, so there's that.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Like everybody else has already said;'deck skiing is just the same, only totally different.'

Like any drill, focus, just don't over think it.

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
These ski decks have very little crossover to real skiing because they are missing the one critical element that makes skis and skiing work, kinetic energy supplied by a body in motion.

You can ingrain a defensive pivot and scrape movement pattern on one. A go there movement pattern won't happen because as I said above you're not going.

And never try to engage the edge before the fall line or you will fall as the carpet pulls your feet out from under you. And it will be a hard fall.

uke

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because @CrystalRose suggested I put up a photo of my slant board, here it is. The design is from the HH website and he posted a bunch of drills using the slant board. I like it as it will give me a head start for balancing on edges

The 2 x 6 gives me 16* slant, the 2 x 4 gives me 10* slant

Pretty easy as the 2x4 and the 2x6 just slide in between the two stationary 2x2’s
I substituted a carpet with this rubber padded material. I had Home Depot cut everything to length and the assembly took less than 10 minutes.
C586C49F-0FFF-4674-8446-D285F2A0EE3B.jpeg
BB39FAD7-7A26-479E-8F17-2781306E1BCC.jpeg
F7A4D17B-80A0-4B2E-8A58-6211B8202B04.jpeg
D556153B-2773-40A2-8318-81A7519F739D.jpeg

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey...the part of your journey that involves finding a place in Heber, Red Rock or places between there and Park City will likely be impacted by a sale just having taken place in the Mayflower area. If there's a neighborhood retail component it could create a town and town center with very proximate access to DV.

firm-acquires-mayflower-parcel-near-deer-valley-resort

There are also plans for a town gondola from Main St. to Silver Lake as well as commercial in the existing lower parking lots. The net of these and the timing could change desirability and property values in a significant way.

Us locals are trying to figure it all out.

Sponsor

Staff online