• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
[I can do everything with the skis indoors on a flat carpeted surface. At 6’3” it is a LONG want down :roflmao: if I took a :philgoat:

Kidding aside, I am most likely a bit over cautious and with a lot more days with fewer and shorter breaks in between next season I will become much more comfortable with speed.
I relate, I am only 1 inch shorter. Probably why I am obsessed about the balance issue. No problem with over cautious, coming from a climbing background I still regard fear more as survival instinct than something to overcome.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I want to become a good skier for the challenge of the learning process, then once there for the pure enjoyment of comfortably covering the mountain taking in the beauty.

This is a really well articulated statement of intent. The older I get, and as progress gets harder and bad habits / faults more difficult to overcome, I try to remind myself that what's cool is that I can in fact still get better at a few things, and "damn, it's great to be outside in the mountains rather than stuck in my office."

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
As for pushing, I probably don’t push enough, but my real goal is to have good technique and be under control. I am not searching out speed or adrenaline.

I now teach many adult beginners in the 40 plus age group. I don't think people are complaining about the snow as much as they don't want to get hurt.

Amen!

I second this. Elder-starters have plenty of reason to be wary of injury, and while we are still new, we have fewer tricks to pull out of the bag to get us out of trouble.

Lately, I've been really enjoying a very non-steep run at Killington, Bearly. Why? Because I ski much faster on it than all of the steeper, blue slopes I tackle. I like the speed, but I won't chance it on a steep slope where it feels like it could get out of control so easily. Flatter, green Bearly gives me that rush of speed. I feel what skiing is going to feel like when I get good at it!

newboots (a/k/a Started at 63)

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yesterday I had the privilege of visiting the Bomber Ski factory and watch the entire process of skis being hand made. The craftsmanship was astounding to say the least. They have some really cool stuff coming out.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yesterday I had the privilege of visiting the Bomber Ski factory and watch the entire process of skis being hand made. The craftsmanship was astounding to say the least. They have some really cool stuff coming out.
Cool, you are in Italy?

James

Out There
Instructor
Is Bomber factory different from Blossom - Panatti/Moro ?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is Bomber factory different from Blossom - Panatti/Moro ?

Yes, as @Philpug said, it is totally different. Funny how many thought it was the same. Big changes have taken place in the past 12-15 months there, lots of innovative people are running the show, hence some different shaped skis appeared last season and more will come out this year. The 84 waist Pro Terrain is reported to be amazing by both Bode and Marco, matter of fact Bode skied it in a SL parallel race against a fulled kitted out WC skier and won.... But the snow was soft is what I was told.

I was watching the new Pro Carve skis being made yesterday, they are super sexy with a top sheet that has to be seen to be believed.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bode beating a wcup skier in slalom?
They were ranked in the 100's?
It's not the skis, he's 40yrs old.

Btw, he lost to a 15 yr old in slalom recently on Bombers. By a second.

"He was beaten by a 15-year-old athlete from the Czech Republic, David Kubas, who got down the course in 20.01 seconds. Bode didn’t disgrace himself though - he finished in 21.05 seconds."
https://bomberski.com/articles/race-a-winter-olympic-gold-ski-champion/

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today was a a very enlightening experience. So @Mrs. 53 and I go into Park City to get ZipFit liners and heaters for our boots. She goes first and gets in the funky socks for the 3D machine. Very cool technology, of course she is in the wrong boots (I knew that the day she got “fitted” for them). So first it is a new shell that fits her foot. Turns out to be a cool all white Nordica Pro Machine 105W that was a perfect fit. Then the footpads/orthotics which were custom made on a machine and finally the ZipFits. of course the alignment came next, Her left knee was 2* off and her boot is getting a wedge.

My boots it turns out were perfect for me (yeah mine were fitted by the Nordica Rep) and they needed a slight punch below both inside ankles. Same thing, did the orthotics and the ZipFits.... Then the alignment... OMG is all I can say. I must have been a cowboy in a previous life. Both of my knees were 3* off outside of neutral. It was an amazing feeling to feel properly lined up, and I can’t begin to imagine how it will make a difference on the slopes.

Edited to add: We also picked up our DV ski passes today!!!!

Last edited:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Be careful on those first turns. Well fitted boots with foot beds vs just boots with stock foot beds is the same difference as between power steering and manual steering. First time I went out with properly fitted boots I was told that there would be a major difference. Yeah right, was my thought. Took that first turn to the right and almost threw myself on the ground. I stopped, then started again with a turn to the left. Again almost threw myself on the ground. And this was on a green trail. So I toned down my moves and fell in love with the fine control.

Have fun with the new boots.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Today was a a very enlightening experience. So @Mrs. 53 and I go into Park City to get ZipFit liners and heaters for our boots. She goes first and gets in the funky socks for the 3D machine. Very cool technology, of course she is in the wrong boots (I knew that the day she got “fitted” for them). So first it is a new shell that fits her foot. Turns out to be a cool all white Nordica Pro Machine 105W that was a perfect fit. Then the footpads/orthotics which were custom made on a machine and finally the ZipFits. of course the alignment came next, Her left knee was 2* off and her boot is getting a wedge.

My boots it turns out were perfect for me (yeah mine were fitted by the Nordica Rep) and they needed a slight punch below both inside ankles. Same thing, did the orthotics and the ZipFits.... Then the alignment... OMG is all I can say. I must have been a cowboy in a previous life. Both of my knees were 3* off outside of neutral. It was an amazing feeling to feel properly lined up, and I can’t begin to imagine how it will make a difference on the slopes.

Edited to add: We also picked up our DV ski passes today!!!!

Who did you see?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Who did you see?

We went to see Brian at Gorsuch. @Lorenzzo is the local with all the knowledge and he said Brian is the best there is, so that is where we went. Lorenzo was with us and was going to get a new pair of ZipFits too, but we are the same size and they only had one in our size. He is getting his next week when they get in a new shipment. I will say that Brian was amazing.

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
I got to ask. In all the lessons you have taken hasn't there been at least one instructor who pointed out that you were bowlegged? 3* is huge and goes a long way to explaining your early struggles. Personally, if I had a student as serious as you are and who is not afraid of dropping a few bills to correct an issue, I would have had you going to a good boot person day one. 3* off and some damn fool probably wanted you to do a braking wedge your first day. Anything beyond easy greens would have been very difficult to deal with through traditional instruction. You needed either to have the correction done or figure out/be taught how someone who is bowlegged needs to ski.

uke

Sponsor

Staff online