• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Turns out today was my last ski day of the year. In a nutshell I sucked today. Conditions were not great as the snow quality varied greatly not just from run to run, but within the same run. It was warm the past two days and there were a lot of mashed potatoes in some areas.

Yesterday was actually scary as there were a lot of out of control skiers, yeah one nearly took me out. As @Lorenzzo told me today at lunch, I ski slow for my ability. But.... I ski in total control speed wise.

Today I had moments of good skiing, as in 5 good turns followed by 3 bad turns, followed by...... I was just very inconsistent. It was disappointing to say the least.

Today was also a serous reminder of the danger of our sport, I saw two large areas of blood on different runs, I saw (from a lift) a person right after they hit a tree and were not moving at all, I witnessed one life flight and heard there was another at DV today. We, as in DV, had a fatality a couple days ago, and possibly two today. I post this as there were a lot of out of control skiers out there, so as a public service announcement.... BE CAREFUL out there.

Thanks to @Chris V. for your tip, you and others ( @LiquidFeet ) have given me some great stuff to start next seasons skiing. Chris, I did do some singing on the slopes today and was swinging my arms about like a guy who has lost his marbles.

@Started at 53, I'm sorry to hear your last day was a tough one. I've had last days like that, too. You need to block it out and focus on the good stuff as you wait for next season to begin. I find that I re-run in my head my very best most euphoric run all summer long. Do you do this? Try to find that best-of-season experience right now, and start re-running it as soon as you can. It will block out any negative memories and feed your passion.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Started at 53, I'm sorry to hear your last day was a tough one. I've had last days like that, too. You need to block it out and focus on the good stuff as you wait for next season to begin. I find that I re-run in my head my very best most euphoric run all summer long. Do you do this? Try to find that best-of-season experience right now, and start re-running it as soon as you can. It will block out any negative memories and feed your passion.

THIS. Visualize and ingrain the good turns.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

I second this. A couple years ago my season always ended on a low note because I'd have a miserable time when spring conditions arrived so that day would be my last because I wasn't having fun in the spring slush. That was a couple years ago and I now love, love, love spring conditions, have learned to ski in it and as a result my seasons are now longer. Don't beat yourself up, spring conditions are tough and you have to learn how to ski in it.

When my season is over I put together a visual reel of the highlights of the season and this is what gets me through the off season.

:hug:

:beercheer:

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
Turns out today was my last ski day of the year. In a nutshell I sucked today. Conditions were not great as the snow quality varied greatly not just from run to run, but within the same run. It was warm the past two days and there were a lot of mashed potatoes in some areas.

Yesterday was actually scary as there were a lot of out of control skiers, yeah one nearly took me out. As @Lorenzzo told me today at lunch, I ski slow for my ability. But.... I ski in total control speed wise.

Today I had moments of good skiing, as in 5 good turns followed by 3 bad turns, followed by...... I was just very inconsistent. It was disappointing to say the least.

Today was also a serous reminder of the danger of our sport, I saw two large areas of blood on different runs, I saw (from a lift) a person right after they hit a tree and were not moving at all, I witnessed one life flight and heard there was another at DV today. We, as in DV, had a fatality a couple days ago, and possibly two today. I post this as there were a lot of out of control skiers out there, so as a public service announcement.... BE CAREFUL out there.

Thanks to @Chris V. for your tip, you and others ( @LiquidFeet ) have given me some great stuff to start next seasons skiing. Chris, I did do some singing on the slopes today and was swinging my arms about like a guy who has lost his marbles.

I love spring conditions too. Warm weather can turn rock hard, crusty bumps into something soft that's really fun and easy to ski. Slush is slower, which can be a good thing when it's steeper or in the bumps. Sometimes slush makes it too slow to get through a green, and a steeper slope might be necessary to make some turns. I believe one reason people have problems in the slush is because it's harder to rotate the skis. Most beginners rely allot on rotating the skis by twisting. In super warm slush, it's really hard to twist the skis unless maybe you have super fat skis with rocker, which is one reason lots of people love that tech. But, the skis will still carve, and that's the best way to ski the slush. Just pressure the cuff, roll the knees, and the skis will come around with maybe a little steering.

Have your hips gotten better? I see in your last video, you've moved away from a constant wedge.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@skier

Yes, my hip was 100% better when I got here and had minimal pain this week. I am pretty sure my lesson took pressure off of both my hip and my quads as my quads never got tired like they had previously.

As for the constant wedge, my right footed turns are parallel, my left footed (left hip was the issue and likely needs strengthening) are nearly parallel (some of them actually are but not enough). Made lots of progress this week and lots to build on for next season.

From the comments and talking to @Lorenzzo, spring mashed potatoes are just another adjustment that has to be made and is easier to deal with as your technique improves. At this point I don’t like surface surprises.

Already looking forward to next season.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Lesson learned, the variable, grabby spring conditions can be more challenging than they look. Solution, take it easy, kick back on the picnic deck with a burger and drink and laugh at folks splashing down at the bottom in the slop.. assuming they aren't hurt and just embarrassed!

Thanks for sharing the season with us. Hope you are back and prepping all your gear around October Jay!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It has been awesome reading about your development, adventures and joy. Thank you for taking us along in your journey. Spring skiing for me is a mixture of skiing and basking in the sun/drinking a cold one. Mornings are a little more of the former and afternoons are more of the latter. I bet you'll come to love spring skiing as you progress and when you are ready, added with the skill you'll no doubt acquire, get a pair of fatter sticks for those slushy days as this adds to the fun and makes it easier to ski the slop.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Maybe it was not you, but conditions where you skied. A warm day in March is a good time to try the other side of the Wasatch. Alta's base is about 2,000' higher which should mean colder temps. And they get more snow and have a lot of good (and maybe less crowded) N-facing green and blue groomers. OpenSnow predicts 8-20" at Alta through Friday while Deer Valley's prediction is 4-12". (Prediction for both places on Saturday is 3-6".) I realize you may already be back in FL or on your way further East.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Maybe it was not you, but conditions where you skied. A warm day in March is a good time to try the other side of the Wasatch. Alta's base is about 2,000' higher which should mean colder temps. And they get more snow and have a lot of good (and maybe less crowded) N-facing green and blue groomers. OpenSnow predicts 8-20" at Alta through Friday while Deer Valley's prediction is 4-12". (Prediction for both places on Saturday is 3-6".) I realize you may already be back in FL or on your way further East.

Excellent point. I "invert" a lot of my run preferences in the spring - runs that I ski in the winter are often icy in the morning and gloppy in the afternoon. Instead of shooting for first chair, I take it easy and start my day late. Then I choose very carefully based on aspect. In between icy and gloppy, you get sweet, sweet corn. Slush bumps are wonderful (although a bit advanced just yet), and I love spraying slush. In some cases, an icy or gloppy run can have great snow where the trees shade the run. You have to be comfortable staying within a fairly narrow band of snow for that. And if I get tired of people or snow (spring snow is a lot harder on my knee), letting the sun warm my face on a deck in an Adirondack chair is pretty sweet. I picked up a pair of free sunglasses that are flat, not shaped to the face - I can easily keep them in my pocket for just such occasions.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Hey, 53, it's still winter in Breckenridge, CO.

One of the reasons I chose to move here ten years ago was because I visited for the first time in early April and encountered January snow conditions. I had been coming out west from Michigan in April for 30 plus years, always encountering the conditions you just experienced. We went all over the west except Breck during those trips. Then an April Epic Ski meet-up occurred at Breck and here we are.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You never want your last day to be your last day. You will have good ones and bad ones and you are at the stage where you realize that bad days just happen and not to take it personally and as said, focus on the good ones over the summer. You are now at the learning phase of conscious incompetence, you moved up from unconscious incompetence which is a huge step. Now you can focus on the good, minimize the bad for the next phase of conscious competence. Remember too the learning process is a journey, not a destination.

Oh, there is always Mothers Day week if you want to try to re write the end on this ski season., ;)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yesterday was actually scary as there were a lot of out of control skiers, yeah one nearly took me out.

. We, as in DV, had a fatality a couple days ago, and possibly two today. I post this as there were a lot of out of control skiers out there, so as a public service announcement.... BE CAREFUL out there.

Whouda thunk it given the lengths Dv goes to to keep the punks out? ;)

Sorry its no laughing matter - Ryan Knapton's eyewitness report of the guy who totalled a tree and himself at Breck last week is frightening. Lucky he didn't kill anyone else but himself.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
You never want your last day to be your last day. You will have good ones and bad ones and you are at the stage where you realize that bad days just happen and not to take it personally and as said, focus on the good ones over the summer. You are now at the learning phase of conscious incompetence, you moved up from unconscious incompetence which is a huge step. Now you can focus on the good, minimize the bad for the next phase of conscious competence. Remember too the learning process is a journey, not a destination.

This is a really hard line to draw for an avid learner. But great perspective, nonetheless. As a fairly recent adult learner, I struggle with all the same things as Jay. I also know that my focus on technique, taking lessons and doing drills has helped me improve more, a lot more, actually, than if I just showed up and slid down. Pugski has helped me in a number of ways, btw. I am still a total sucker, to be clear, in comparison to a good skier. No question.

But ultimately, I ski for fun. What I found after, roughly, 50 days of skiing (with dedication, etc) was that I was confident enough in diverse enough terrain and snow conditions that it was ALWAYS fun. And it is today, 30 ski days later. Perhaps it's the half-full glass guy in me. But I hear people complaining about the spring conditions and I enjoy the soft bumps and the weather. I hear people complaining about ice, and I enjoy controling speed in moderate pitch and work on balance. Basically, "good" snow makes for epic runs, and the other types present challenges and features of their own. "Bad" snow of course challenges my balance and exposes my weaknesses. But I am ok with that, I take it as an opportunity to get better. What's not to love?

So, chin up Jay, soon you'll be in a place where every day is a good day, as long as you are up to it.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a really hard line to draw for an avid learner. But great perspective, nonetheless. As a fairly recent adult learner, I struggle with all the same things as Jay. I also know that my focus on technique, taking lessons and doing drills has helped me improve more, a lot more, actually, than if I just showed up and slid down. Pugski has helped me in a number of ways, btw. I am still a total sucker, to be clear, in comparison to a good skier. No question.

But ultimately, I ski for fun. What I found after, roughly, 50 days of skiing (with dedication, etc) was that I was confident enough in diverse enough terrain and snow conditions that it was ALWAYS fun. And it is today, 30 ski days later. Perhaps it's the half-full glass guy in me. But I hear people complaining about the spring conditions and I enjoy the soft bumps and the weather. I hear people complaining about ice, and I enjoy controling speed in moderate pitch and work on balance. Basically, "good" snow makes for epic runs, and the other types present challenges and features of their own. "Bad" snow of course challenges my balance and exposes my weaknesses. But I am ok with that, I take it as an opportunity to get better. What's not to love?

So, chin up Jay, soon you'll be in a place where every day is a good day, as long as you are up to it.

I learned to ski as a thirtysomething adult. I now teach many adult beginners in the 40 plus age group. I don't think people are complaining about the snow as much as they don't want to get hurt. Spring snow can be challenging and the sticky/grabby sensations may lead to some sense that this is not the safest situation. There are movement patterns that work better in these conditions. Efficient movement patterns and mileage will allow people to relax and enjoy variable conditions. It is important to challenge yourself but also important to know when to say when.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
It is important to challenge yourself but also important to know when to say when.

Yes, that goes without saying, and I didn't explicitly say it, so thank you for that. I try to challenge myself a bit but not to the point of a likely injury. I only injured myself once for skiing in overly challenging conditions (sticky sierra cement, end of day, tired legs, terrible combination -- end of last season). I've been staying further from my limits ever since ... and touching on wood :)

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Certainly the springlike conditions were different for me. At this time I prefer a perfectly groomed icy run than clumpy mashed potatoes. As for pushing, I probably don’t push enough, but my real goal is to have good technique and be under control. I am not searching out speed or adrenaline, been there done that in other aspects of my life. Want to feel fear and adrenaline? Come Tarpon fishing with me when I leave the dock two hours before the sun comes up as I navigate through the backcountry of the Florida Keys through the cuts and channels going 30 mph in 20 knot winds for a nice hour long ride.

I want to become a good skier for the challenge of the learning process, then once there for the pure enjoyment of comfortably covering the mountain taking in the beauty.

Last edited:

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are good conditions and then there are conditions that are good for you. In sticky snow it is a pretty bad idea to have a large separation between the feet. If you are still using a wedge it will be challenging for sure....

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Certainly the springlike conditions were different for me.

There is something to consider here buried in the first line of your post. You have done very well so far skiing typically groomed surfaces and have learned movements to deal with those snow conditions.

Suddenly you ran up against something new, be it heavier snow, wetter snow, stop and go snow (sticky) or whatever. You may have done better on it than you think. Most times when we encounter some "new" feeling we instantly interpret it as having done something "wrong". Could very well be your movements were fine but you had an unexpected response from the snow. New snow, new feeling, time for and adjustment to your movement patterns to deal with it.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
A wedge/wide stance is a strategy to keep your center of mass between your skis as much as possible, I think trying to treat it as a purely technical error can be a mistake. From a purely technical point of view when starting older you have a better feel of what you need to do and what your body is actually doing. Something technical like archery can be easier to teach to adults than kids.The difficult part of starting to ski when older is sometimes balance, doing it without falling over. Conversely kids often ski with limited technique but good balance.

I think the balance required is sometimes taken for granted or underestimated. This became an issue for me when trying a beginner progression that involved traversing on the outside edge of the uphill ski (downhill ski lifted up). This showed me I did not have the balance to implement the required techniques and have shifted to prioritizing development of balance. I am sure there are better strategies out there, but for me, part of this is just just involves doing lots of different stuff on skies. Side slipping, pivoting, skating, sidestepping. Beginner ramps a couple of feet high with no jump. On a very easy flat where one can straight line at a low speed, lifting a ski, even if initially it is just a pick up and put down. At home I use the Skia trainers, but emphasize lateral balance training.

I'd suggest the following test for anyone struggling with early progressions. Put on skis at home, stand on a carpet. First lift up a ski and balance on the other ski. If comfortable, then try shifting balance to the inside edge then outside edge of the one ski (nothing extreme). Try closing eyes. Try the same exercise with something like the Skia trainer. If any of those balance exercises are a problem, it will affect your early progression.

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is something to consider here buried in the first line of your post. You have done very well so far skiing typically groomed surfaces and have learned movements to deal with those snow conditions.

Suddenly you ran up against something new, be it heavier snow, wetter snow, stop and go snow (sticky) or whatever. You may have done better on it than you think. Most times when we encounter some "new" feeling we instantly interpret it as having done something "wrong". Could very well be your movements were fine but you had an unexpected response from the snow. New snow, new feeling, time for and adjustment to your movement patterns to deal with it.

No doubt I attribute the problems more to the unfamiliar conditions. I do think I likely showed frustration to my inability to deal with the differing conditions.

@Corgski
I can do everything with the skis indoors on a flat carpeted surface. At 6’3” it is a LONG want down :roflmao: if I took a :philgoat:

Kidding aside, I am most likely a bit over cautious and with a lot more days with fewer and shorter breaks in between next season I will become much more comfortable with speed. I did make huge progress from my December trip to DV to my recent trip to DV with a trip to Vail in between. Runs I was uncomfortable on in December, I was skiing easily, and runs I would not have even tried in December I was comfortably making my way down. So while it is sometimes hard to quantify improvement within a day or a week, it is easy to look back to the beginning of the season and see massive progress these past few months.

Sponsor

Staff online