• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

50/50 Ski for first time AT set up

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a 6 ski down hill quiver and enjoy them all. I have an opening in the quiver in the 105-120 mm width range. I have a 140 powder ski and 100 and under rest of the quiver. I would like to make the final quiver spot an AT 50/50 set up. I am a clyde, in good shape, and an expert skier. I have been looking at carbon skis, and demo'd a DPS Wailer Alchemist 112 Wailer. It skied like a wide powder ski and was not the "wide" all mtn ski I was looking for. I also demo'd the 106 Alchemist Wailer and I like the ski a lot. Very good wide carving ski and fairly light weight. I also demo'd a proto Renoun Citadel and like it as well. I am also looking at the Blizzard Zero G 108 ski, but have not demo'd it. I have a well trusted recommendation for the Zero G. Huge price difference between the skis. Not the 1st priority, though. I will put the new in Sept, 18 Salomon shift binding on the ski and plan to get a pair of Salomon Mtn Lab touring boots (or something similar). I ski on the East Coast, so more hard snow than powder. Will typically only be out in good conditions, but there is always ice in the East.

short list:

DPS Alchemist Wailer 106, 185 cm, ~1850 g
Renoun Citadel 106, 190 cm, ~1800 g
Blizzard Zero G 108, 185 cm, ~1750 g

Random thoughts:
  • I don't want to go too light on the skis, meaning under 1700g's
  • don't want to go heavier than 1950 g's
  • want good touring and less priority on inbounds, but don't want touring bindings
  • priority on downhill performance rather than uphill
  • priority on variable snow, rather than powder, but want some float for powder
  • I have a Liberty Origin 96 that could be used for the purpose, but a little narrow, and a tad heavy
  • I will need a 185 length, and will probably not go to 190 cm length, except for the Citadel

Does this makes sense. I will AT or side country about 10-20% of my ski days, but will use the skis inbounds in soft snow when not enough new snow to break out the powder skis. Especially a day or two after a good snow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have a 6 ski down hill quiver and enjoy them all. I have an opening in the quiver in the 105-120 mm width range. I have a 140 powder ski and 100 and under rest of the quiver. I would like to make the final quiver spot an AT 50/50 set up. I am a clyde, in good shape, and an expert skier. I have been looking at carbon skis, and demo'd a DPS Wailer Alchemist 112 Wailer. It skied like a wide powder ski and was not the "wide" all mtn ski I was looking for. I also demo'd the 106 Alchemist Wailer and I like the ski a lot. Very good wide carving ski and fairly light weight. I also demo'd a proto Renoun Citadel and like it as well. I am also looking at the Blizzard Zero G 108 ski, but have not demo'd it. I have a well trusted recommendation for the Zero G. Huge price difference between the skis. Not the 1st priority, though. I will put the new in Sept, 18 Salomon shift binding on the ski and plan to get a pair of Salomon Mtn Lab touring boots (or something similar). I ski on the East Coast, so more hard snow than powder. Will typically only be out in good conditions, but there is always ice in the East.

short list:

DPS Alchemist Wailer 106, 185 cm, ~1850 g
Renoun Citadel 106, 190 cm, ~1800 g
Blizzard Zero G 108, 185 cm, ~1750 g

Random thoughts:
  • I don't want to go too light on the skis, meaning under 1700g's
  • don't want to go heavier than 1950 g's
  • want good touring and less priority on inbounds, but don't want touring bindings
  • priority on downhill performance rather than uphill
  • priority on variable snow, rather than powder, but want some float for powder
  • I have a Liberty Origin 96 that could be used for the purpose, but a little narrow, and a tad heavy
  • I will need a 185 length, and will probably not go to 190 cm length, except for the Citadel

Does this makes sense. I will AT or side country about 10-20% of my ski days, but will use the skis inbounds in soft snow when not enough new snow to break out the powder skis. Especially a day or two after a good snow.

I demoed the 185cm Alchemist Wailer 106 and loved it. It was at Loveland ski area and there was about 10" of fresh that turned to chow and soft bumps quick. Handled that and the groomers beautifully.

The other ski that I demoed and really liked was the upcoming 2019 model of the Salomon QST 106 in 188cm with the Salomon Shift bindings. = It was really a perfect combo. Again I demoed it at Loveland later in the season but also with about 12" fresh and chopped up conditions. I was surprised I really liked them since I didnt love the 2017-2018 QST 106's because they were a tad too flimsy for me.

That said my touring setup is a pair of Black Crows Navis in 185cm with Dynafit bindings which I love but are too light for firmer or chopped up conditions at the resorts. They hold a great edge but are not damp.

I would definitely choose the 188cm QST 106's with the Shift bindings as a 50/50 ski or even for occasional touring use. It was that good.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
You are in Boston?

Where will you use these wide skis on the uphill?

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My planned use will be at Bolton Valley in Vt, which has back country terrain and a trail network. I haven't skied it yet but plan to next season. I will also use them at Mt. Washington, Tuck's and would like to try the Gulf of Slides. Will also do side country at resorts like Jay, Cannon, Wildcat, Sugarloaf. Really looking forward to hiking through Brackett Basin at Sugarloaf over to the Burnt Mt peak and skiing down through the glades. They run cat trips there now, can always opt for a ride back up when I get tired. I have been pretty deep into Brackett Basin, but we stopped and went downhill when it was time to take off the skis and start hiking the uphill over to Burnt Mtn. There are also some area's North of Boston that have skiable meadows. Someone on this site used their AT setup inbounds at Sunday River when they shut down 1/2 the peaks at the end of the season.

Ken_R,

I will take a closer look at the QST 106. I think it gained a little weight for 2019 but it sounds like it made a decent improvement. It is just outside of my weight criteria, but that's a pretty flexible thing.

Ski: 2018-2019 Salomon QST 106, 188 cm

Available Lengths: 167, 174, 181, 188 cm

Blister’s Measured Tip-to-Tail Length: 186.7 cm

Blister’s Measured Weight per Ski: 2036 & 2064 grams

Stated Dimensions: 142-106-127 mm

Blister’s Measured Dimensions: 141.5-105.7-126.3

Stated Sidecut Radius: 20.0 meters

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm planning to do a touring setup next year for Stowe area, with Shift Bindings. I plan to use the Fischer Hannibal though I have a small chance I might use a Fischer Ranger 108. If I were you I might look at Kastle too the FX104 would have been great for what you want, I assume it has a newer/better sibling.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nobody likes Kores for this?

Oh, forgot about them!

Definitely should be highly considered.

I did not love the 105 in 189cm but did the 93 in 180cm. Would like to try the 105 in 180cm. Even though I use skis in the 184-190cm range the Kore 105 189cm just felt too long and unbalanced. Kinda like the Kastle BMX 105 in 189cm.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I liked the Kore 105 in a 189cm, I thought it skies really nice. I would think that with a Shift would make a nice side country set up. The Zero G 108 sucks balls as a 'ski'. It does feel good in 'Norwegian Snowshoe' mode. I have friends who like them, they are wrong.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My desire for a carbon ski is not absolute, just figured they would be able to stay stiff and light. Any ski that is close to the weight range I mentioned is OK, and if it skis well in most conditions and is reasonably light to go uphill, I am good. I like the Moment Bibby Pro ski, after skiing the 184 cm it is too short for me, so the 190 cm is really getting heavy for the uphill, so I am ruling that one out.

The knock on the Head Kore 105 is the tip is heavily tapered and will not engage well on firm snow. Hence its carving feel is not as good as skis without tip taper. I was advise to avoid most of those type of skis. I do like to carve and drive the tip. Some skiers will like that, especially if you want to optimize deep snow performance. It was on my short list but I have not pursued it.

MIke, have you skied the Zero G 108? Tell me how you really feel about the ski?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DPS Alchemist Wailer 106. The Alchemist construction is amazing....light but goes through chop well. I demoed them and they were actually a little too much ski for me, but you’re an expert skier and I’m not. I bought the Alchemist Wailer 99.....which is not for you due to the large amount of tip rocker. (Like the Wailer 112).

But that Alchemist construction on any ski is SWEET.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The Zero G 108 sucks balls as a 'ski'. It does feel good in 'Norwegian Snowshoe' mode. I have friends who like them, they are wrong.

MIke, have you skied the Zero G 108? Tell me how you really feel about the ski?

It's really light, which makes it really easily deflected. I hate that. It does go uphill nice. Maybe I would have liked the 192 better? Personally, I would never, EVER own a ski like this if it wasn't being used 100% for touring. Most of my touring is here in the North East, heck, almost all of my touring is right around Mt Mansfield region. With 90% of my time spent cruising uphill and the down often not particularly steep, I really don't mind 'light and sketchy' on the descent, it keeps it interesting... but a ski that I want to ski? No thanks. I'll haul more weight up to push it on the down, I won't compromise on ski feel. Tech binding, sure. Sketchy ski? No.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied my new AT setup a several times now. I went with the Blizzard Zero G 108 in 185 cm. I put a Atomic Shift binding on it and bought Atomic Hawx XTD 130 touring boots. The whole setup is fantastic for what I wanted it to do. I am not a diehard back country skier, mostly just the opposite. I need more time touring to really get a feel for it, but so far its been great. The ski is light and width feels good in untracked snow. The bindings are excellent on the up and even better on the down.

Focusing on the ski, I wanted to use it as a 50/50 ski. I am most impressed with it as an inbounds ski. I have never skied a Cochise, but this ski is the same dimensions, just lighter, and skis very similar according to reviews. On groomers, it rips for a wide ski. It has very good edge hold, handles speed no problem, is fun to carve on groomers, no problem on hard pack. It is very light so its easy to throw it around. About the only negative I found is without the weight, high speeds in firm bumpy slopes is not good. The ski gets knocked around and skittery. That is fine with me, I just slowed down and all good again. I actually haven't had it in soft snow much, so not much to report. Its supposed to be in its element in soft snow, so I am looking forward to it. I have limited time on it in trees, and mostly firm snow trees, but it feels good there to. When we get some soft snow days in the East, I look forward to using the ski inbounds as one of my quiver skis.

For touring, its light, its stable, so far so good. Again not a lot of time touring on it, but the season is still young and I look forward to getting it in some true backcountry conditions like at Mt Washington.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Edit: missed the post the you decided.

Glad you found a pairing that works for you.

Enjoy your skiing!

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I skied my new AT setup a several times now. I went with the Blizzard Zero G 108 in 185 cm. I put a Atomic Shift binding on it and bought Atomic Hawx XTD 130 touring boots. The whole setup is fantastic for what I wanted it to do. I am not a diehard back country skier, mostly just the opposite. I need more time touring to really get a feel for it, but so far its been great. The ski is light and width feels good in untracked snow. The bindings are excellent on the up and even better on the down.

Focusing on the ski, I wanted to use it as a 50/50 ski. I am most impressed with it as an inbounds ski. I have never skied a Cochise, but this ski is the same dimensions, just lighter, and skis very similar according to reviews. On groomers, it rips for a wide ski. It has very good edge hold, handles speed no problem, is fun to carve on groomers, no problem on hard pack. It is very light so its easy to throw it around. About the only negative I found is without the weight, high speeds in firm bumpy slopes is not good. The ski gets knocked around and skittery. That is fine with me, I just slowed down and all good again. I actually haven't had it in soft snow much, so not much to report. Its supposed to be in its element in soft snow, so I am looking forward to it. I have limited time on it in trees, and mostly firm snow trees, but it feels good there to. When we get some soft snow days in the East, I look forward to using the ski inbounds as one of my quiver skis.

For touring, its light, its stable, so far so good. Again not a lot of time touring on it, but the season is still young and I look forward to getting it in some true backcountry conditions like at Mt Washington.

Awesome!

I loved the G 95 when I demoed it. Superb ski that did not feel like a backcountry ski at all. Held a great edge and felt pretty damp and stable while being light. I was impressed. Looks like the 108 is even more so.

Sponsor

Staff online