• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

5 critical mistakes skiers make

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
High Fives Foundation has produced a series of videos about critical mistakes skiers make that put them in harms way.
This episode, BASICS 6, shares the stories of 5 High Fives athletes who share the importance of safety in the mountains.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good video, well produced.
Rather than 5 critical mistakes, I'd say it's all down to the one singular error of not properly preparing.
Accidents happen, but all the stories have the same lack of preparation theme to them. There is a reason one does speed checks and a straight air before the showtime tricks in the park, there is a reason racers do course inspection, there is a reason we check it th landing zone under a cliff before hucking it, there is a reason we don't rip Mach 3 on our warmup lap, etc.

Can't prevent everything, but we sure can minimize the probability of critical accident..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In our workplace safety program, we learn that there is no such thing as an accident. Only incidents. Everything happens for a reason, ie cause and effect, and that everything is preventable. Its why we conduct Job Hazard Analyses. We have to stop, think , plan.
I know, it sure takes the fun out it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Got the bullet points cliff notes version? I can't play long videos on this old slow machine..

Whatever it is I would hope boots too big is on the top 5 common mistakes average skiers make.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
High Fives Foundation has produced a series of videos about critical mistakes skiers make that put them in harms way.
This episode, BASICS 6, shares the stories of 5 High Fives athletes who share the importance of safety in the mountains.
Ummm, is that Sugar Bowl?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TLDW: Don't ski too fast and overshoot the landings on big jumps or you will end up paralyzed. Good vid, good messages.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I believe so.
Isn't funny how a landscape that is mostly monochrome can somehow be familiar? I only watched a brief patch of it, but I instantly recognized . . . can't think of the name but its the part of Mt Lincoln where a bunch of different runs come together for the runout back to the lift. Of course, I also saw Daron Rahlves, so that kind of confirmed it. Still, its weird to think "oh, I recognize that patch of snow . . ."

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January