• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4th of Ju-lie on a lounger

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So are all of you guys taking the whole of next week off given where your minor holiday to commemorate a declaration during a war against someone else ;) falls? Getting a lot of email bounces from my US colleagues suggesting that not many are planning on being around all week?
I never thought of the 4th of July as a "Minor Holiday" it is an important part of our American culture.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is not the lounger, but pretty darned close. 2 sons and 2 grandsons hanging out at the house. This is the 6 year old working on the chords.

Burn some burgers, drink a couple of beers and hang low.

20180701_085230_resized (2).jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I never thought of the 4th of July as a "Minor Holiday" it is an important part of our American culture.

"American culture" doesn't hold much for Non-Americans.
It is definitely "minor" and maybe best forgotten to those that lost the referenced war. :D

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
"American culture" doesn't hold much for Non-Americans.
It is definitely "minor" and maybe best forgotten to those that lost the referenced war. :D

I find it interesting that perhaps the greatest American war hero was Howe who let Washington off the hook after Willistown/Germantown and failed to press home any concluding action while Washington was mired at Valley Forge.

I get 4 July and I understand its importance along with the flag and the anthem in holding your diverse nation and states together. On such a day it would be churlish not to offer you all best wishes if you missed my sarcasm in my opening post.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
4th of July, 2018 on Skyline Drive, VA:
View of Stoney Man to left, elev 4,011'
DSCN1579.jpg

Mary's Rock Tunnel
DSCN1583.jpg

Massanutten Lodge at Skyland, ca 1910.
DSCN1578.jpg

View from porch of Big Meadows Visitor Center.
DSCN1576.jpg

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Congrats to @scott43. @Jim Kenney, did you beat the heat on Skyline? I suspect it might have been a few degrees cooler but still very humid. I thought about escaping to the Laurel Highlands or Canaan Valley but the temps were projected in the uppers 80s at both Seven Springs and Davis. We ended up downtown at the Heinz History Center were the inside temps were around 70. The museum of western PA history is named after the late Senator John Heinz who was also heir to the HJ Heinz family who made their name and fortune developing processed (canned) foods most notably, Ketchup. Senator Heinz died when his private plane collided with a helicopter in 1991. The Senator was 53 years old.

caption with photo collage (2).jpg Sen. J Heinz photo collage skiing.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The win for best 4th of July celebration:beercheer: goes to ... a Canadian. Congrats to Mr and Mrs Scott43.
Are you going to name the baby Uncle Sam or Samantha? Or The Donald or some other obnoxious American connection:duck:

For LHC, it was 77 with frequent light rain squalls up on Skyline Drive and 92 with hazy sun down in the valley.

Sponsor

Staff online