• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4th of Ju-lie on a lounger

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So are all of you guys taking the whole of next week off given where your minor holiday to commemorate a declaration during a war against someone else ;) falls? Getting a lot of email bounces from my US colleagues suggesting that not many are planning on being around all week?

Last edited:
TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well our holiday falls on Sunday. So I'm taking Monday off. But I'm moving this weekend. So it's not a holiday, except that I won't be at work!!

Funny was just reading an article this morning about Montreal Moving Day - claimed it was one in the eye for anglophone Canada and showed lots of photos of the weird and wonderful bicycle rigs people use (given it's impossible to rent a trauck ona day everyone is moving)

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...happens-when-a-whole-city-moves-house-at-once

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m taking the day off, since all of my clients will be taking the day off. I have been known to go to Canada on the 4th of July to escape the insanity, However this year I have a lot of yard work to do, so I will be busy with my chainsaw and wood chipper.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Don't usually do much for this holiday. But, with it being on a Wednesday and mandatory day off, many coworkers (and myself included) are taking either 2 days off in front or after the day off to make a looonnggg weekend.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be off Wednesday but that's it. I know a lot of people taking either the whole week or M/T or TH/F to make extra long weekends. I've taken vacation twice this summer already so I can't really do it again but I expect it to be pretty quiet which is good because I need to get my boss to sit down and focus on some stuff for the following week. He's been buried and traveling and hasn't had time.

The actual 4th is a favorite day for me just because of traditions with local friends. Many run races that day and we have a series that combines a downhill mile and a 4k across town which is sponsored by Avery Brewing. The lowest combined times win prizes (beer) along with individual prizes (beer) for only the 4k. We often have a number of winners/placers from our club and they are required to bring the beer to the party later in the day. For awhile it was at people's homes but now we do it at a local park. Usually I then go watch fireworks with friends with kiddos because fireworks with kids is so delightful. So far they haven't cancelled the local town shows but I won't be surprised if that happens.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I've heard of that too. Maybe @jzmtl can elaborate on that.

Pretty much what's said in the article, it's now sort of tradition that all lease starts and ends on July 1st. I've heard that it's intentionally set on Canada day as a snub to Anglos, but didn't know it was actually done by Quebec Government, can't say I'm surprised though.

The article is a bit sensationalized though, I've never seen anybody with bicycle cart, or heard anyone love the idea of having everybody move on the same day. Although I've heard that people have rented a truck on that day and move for other people the whole day, and made a few grand easily. The part about hard to rent a truck on that day is true though.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sure, I'm taking off Wed, Thur, Fri. Our family always goes to the beach house to celebrate Independence Day. We celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing up a small part of it :)

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Having the 4th on a Wednesday is a lovely excuse to take the whole week off, yes. :) We're roadtripping down to Flagstaff to visit some friends and I'll FINALLY get to Telluride, Durango, and / or Ouray, which I haven't done since moving out here 7 years ago. I just had a pretty brutal work week and I am really, really looking forward to this vacation.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I just have Wednesday off, but a day off in the middle of the week, where I can go on a mountain bike ride and then to a BBQ is a good day. But I know a lot of folks taking the week and work will be dead, so I might just take Friday too. Maybe hit the driving range or 9-hole that day. :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When you work in the tourism industry, you don't expect holidays off. I happen to have Wednesday the 4th off, but for no other reason that I usually don't work Wednesdays
However, because of the amount of tourism going on, I doubt we'll go out to do anything unnecessary

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Stay-cation on this. "Work" from home before people get up.

upload_2018-7-2_14-31-0.png

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So are all of you guys taking the whole of next week off given where your minor holiday to commemorate a declaration during a war against someone else ;) falls? Getting a lot of email bounces from my US colleagues suggesting that not many are planning on being around all week?

As you may know, the USA has ten national holidays. About half of them are always scheduled to fall on Mondays. Others, such as July 4th, fall on specific dates regardless of day of week. This July 4th falls on Wednesday. I would prefer it to come on any other day of the week to more easily build a long weekend around, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth:)

Tomorrow I am taking family members on a day-long road trip up to Skyline Drive in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park. Skyline drive is a scenic road that runs 105 miles north and south along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains with very nice scenery. The Eastern USA is having a heat wave right now and Wash DC is about half way through a ten-day stretch of temperatures over 90f/32c and very humid. It should be about 10-15 degs cooler up on Skyline Drive and good picnicking conditions! Wash DC is not much above sea level. Skyline Drive has elevations up to 3000-4000'.

This is a random photo off internet of Skyline Drive. If I take a few good ones myself tomorrow I will post them here later.
skyline-dr-horsehead-mt.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online