• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4-Wheel Drive or Snow Tires?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 45199
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-9-suv/

With studded Hakkapelitta's I drive around in rear wheel drive in a truck with no traction control and no weight in the bed. They don't slip and I don't get stuck. I manually put it in four wheel drive maybe 10% of the time but don't really need to unless I'm in over a foot of snow.

I've tested starting on the exact same steep incline in our neighborhood against our AWD with good all season tires. My truck in RWD with those studs can climb the hill that the AWD with very good all season tires can't.

It's the tires.

In 4x4 with the studs, I've cut first a path in well over three feet of snow when no other vehicle in the neighborhood could get out, including a number of raised 4x4 trucks with AT tires that got stuck. I pulled them out.

Then there is this:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/no-f...es-isnt-good-enough-for-colorado-skiing.1137/

I doubt any vehicle without really good studded tires could have pulled that car up Loveland Pass in those conditions, regardless of drivetrain.

QFT.

It doesn't matter what technology you have on board. If your tires can't transfer that technology to the road, you can't move.

Edit: Or worse, you can't stop.

Last edited:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The worst part of that storm is you couldn't get up skiing. Every road was closed for days!

A good summary from the Washington Post:

When the sun finally came out Thursday, the National Weather Service reported 31.8 inches of snow in Denver, the most since a five-day storm in 1913 dropped 47.5 inches. Boulder got 22.5 inches of snow, Fort Collins 28 inches, Golden 50 inches, and Evergreen, the upscale suburb in the foothills west of downtown Denver, recorded 73 inches.

But the overall record for inhabited areas was claimed by the mountain hamlet of Rollinsville, about 30 miles west of Denver. The village's elevation rose (temporarily) from 8,700 feet to 8,707.3 after 87.5 inches of snow fell from Monday through Wednesday. Since nearly all the 160 residents own cross-country skis and snowshoes, Rollinsville took the daunting dump in stride.

The Colorado ski resorts, which run big advertisements when they get just six inches of new powder, were wallowing in white stuff.

Winter Park resort reported 120 inches of new snow at the summit; Vail had 68 inches, Breckenridge 74 inches, Copper Mountain 76 inches. Aspen, to the south and west of the main tranche of the storm, reported 16 inches, a total that would be formidable most of the time but barely registered last week.

The problem for skiers and ski areas was that Interstate 70, the highway linking Denver and its airport to the ski resorts, was closed much of the week, either by stranded cars and trucks or by avalanches. Hundreds of would-be skiers spent their spring vacation at motels and gas stations, gazing in frustration at the snowy slopes they couldn't reach.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...6ba-846f-ab4705c32165/?utm_term=.4dac2c16105a
That storm put about 3+ feet in our yard southeast of Morrison. Before the storm peaked, our three youngest kids went to visit their older sister in her apartment in Englewood and got stranded there for the week. Nobody got out of our neighborhood without 4WD and at least a foot and a half of ground clearance. I missed four days of work before the plows came by.

Since we didn't have the kids around to help, my wife and I were out shoveling 6 inches of snow about every 4 hours because that was way easier than trying to move the whole 3+ foot deep pile all at once.

We had a FWD Malibu with all season tires. It was in the garage until the plows came.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I live in Evergreen, and was there for that storm. Measured 84 inches at my house. 10-12 foot high ponderosa pines were completely buried. In my neighborhood, the snow overwhelmed the Jeffco plows, and we had to wait for frontloaders to remove enough snow, leaving sidewalls of snow 10 feet high, to get out of our cul-de-sac. Brand of snow tires pretty much didn't matter. And, my dogs were presented with a substantial challenge in sorting out the potty game. "Upscale"? The appalachia of Colorado?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in Evergreen, and was there for that storm. Measured 84 inches at my house. 10-12 foot high ponderosa pines were completely buried. In my neighborhood, the snow overwhelmed the Jeffco plows, and we had to wait for frontloaders to remove enough snow, leaving sidewalls of snow 10 feet high, to get out of our cul-de-sac. Brand of snow tires pretty much didn't matter. And, my dogs were presented with a substantial challenge in sorting out the potty game. "Upscale"? The appalachia of Colorado?

My mother is under contract to buy a place in Genesee and having driven up there yesterday I fear they won't get out for several days if we get a deep storm.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
IIRC, it was a multi-day storm. By the end of it, 36 was an unpassable parking lot of stuck vehicles. The National Gaurd had to pick everyone up in Humvees and take them to shelters the next morning. I remember seeing an interview of some commuters who spent the night on an RTD bus :eek:

Throughout the storm, I was driving around pulling vehicles out with my new Toy. By the end, it was clear most were never making it home. I ended up pulling the vehicle to a safe spot then giving them a ride home. That was the first time a car seat was in my truck when I gave a mom and her infant a ride home!

Ahh. I don't remember much other than the annoyance of driving through extreme sketch to then find out the offices were officially closed. But since I was there, I was free to go ahead and work. I gave them an incredulous look, turned around, and headed home. It's possible the office was closed multiple days, and I don't remember. This was at Ball Aerospace in Broomfield.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I remember the storm of '03 quite well. I was recuperating from ACL reconstruction. My only outdoor activity was to operate the snow thrower.:(

Alas, I missed today's storm as well for having to (pardon the swearing) work.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nokian Hakkapeliitta if you want the best. Non studded is probably the way to go from Fort Collins given how much dry pavement you'll see.

Love my Hakkapeliitttas SUV, grips like bear claw, really solid feel on the road, dry or snow/ice. Quite and no perceptible loss of MPG over my summer tires.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know how many times I hear "you only need studs when it is solid ice" Exactly. That is the only time I come close to wrecking.

We had a section of polished white ice which looked for all the world like packed snow this year. I came around a bend on a downhill section and there were cars everywhere, about 15 of them, sideways, in the ditch, everywhere.. The cars in front of me almost stopped, but still hit the sideways cars gently. It was so slick the cars that were hit slid on downhill like curling stones. They hit a snowmobile trailer and knocked them off it. I thought I could stop, but in the rear view mirror I saw more cars coming, and I figured if they had "all season" tires I was doomed, so I kept going, slipping around but in control, weaved around the carnage of cars and snowmobiles and emerged out of the mess with our brand new VW Atlas unscratched. A bit of a miracle, which never would have happened without top of the line studded tires.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yes, I'm a control freak and have always bought the best tires for the conditions, but I've also been financially challenged, and have on occasion waited to replace my tires until the tire shop wouldn't honour the life-time flat warranty or until the cords were showing through the sidewall :D :nono:. But by that point, I knew that I needed to drive very slowly in slush, and very carefully manage momentum in snow; ice traction on the x-ice with almost no tread was still good. On summer tires, low tread caused them to get too hot, and they felt greasy.

Now I can afford to replace the tires when they reach the wear bars, but I'm still slowing down and keeping the snows on until the legal bars are reached. Some snow tires have winter wear bars and a second set of wear bars at the legal tread depth. If I saw a lot of snow instead of a couple of noteworthy storms per year, I would replace at the winter wear bars.

I usually feel great joy putting the Michelin Pilots back on in the spring. In the fall I need to keep reminding myself to slow down for curves.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some snow tires have winter wear bars and a second set of wear bars at the legal tread depth.
I love this on the Nokian's:

DSI-WSI-HKPL-8-720px.png

"The numbers on the center surface of the tire indicate how much of the main groove depth remains on the tread. The snowflake symbol Winter Safety Indicator (WSI) remains visible to a groove depth of four millimetres. Once the snowflake has worn out, the driver should purchase new winter tires to ensure sufficient safety."
https://www.nokiantires.com/innovation/innovations/dsi-and-wsi-indicators-hkpl-8/

Tread depth is critical in the snow, even more so with all-season tires. I've noticed the winter performance of brand new top-shelf Michelin all-season tires is really good the first year. Good enough that I've run them through the winter in Denver on a vehicle I can let sit on the few very bad days.

Don't be fooled, though. The winter performance of all-season tires is short lived and drops off dramatically in subsequent years as they wear. Dedicated snow tires are much better in maintaining their winter performance over time in my experience.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Everybody's got an opinion, and some won't be changed by the facts. Here's mine.

The new snow rated all-weather all terrain tires may be the best compromise between traction and convenience, but the tire with the most traction in snow and ice is the tire designed to be so by the tire company who invented snow tires. In an emergency stop or avoidance maneuver, you will stop faster and avoid better with the studded Hakkapallita SUV 9 on your SUV instead of those new all terrain tires - regardless of drive train.

Is it worth the the traction you give up on dry warmer pavement? Well, why are you buying a winter tire in the first place?

BTW, studies have shown the fastest way to stop in loose gravel or deep wet snow or deep sand is to lock up all four wheels and dig some trenches.

The new breed of all weather tires is not the best blend of convenience and traction. They have the broadest traction spectrum.

It’s like skiing an all-mountain ski. Remember not long ago when all the luddites were claiming that these skis were dangerous just getting back to the lift?

I have gone sailing through intersections while driving carefully on Nokian Hakkas. My wife would refuse to drive the minivan and would take the Land Cruiser instead, because it had far better traction in every aspect. This tire is an unreal winter tire:

BB5B68B3-3C7D-4BE9-87E0-9CEFC74EBA22.png

I know - I ran it for about 12 years in every possible condition and it vastly outperformed the so called winter tires. I even took a vid with a camera pointed right at the tire to show how it holds and sheds snow as conditions change. Watch the end - that’s a stop from 25 mph on a 8-9% grade.

If you know what you are looking at, you’ll see a tire that is holding snow and shedding it exactly as you want as depth and conditions change, relying on a very narrow center section harder surface conditions, and with the most important feature of all: high and predictable lateral traction. Lateral slides are by far the most difficult to recover from, and most modern tires rely on the electronic traction control system to perform this function.

There is no reason to canonize any specific setup. Studs are a game changer on ice. You can put studs on the cheapest knockoff winter tire you can find and that tire is still an equal to the most expensive highest tech studless tire on the market.

And so here is the slippery slope ogsmile:

Why are studless winter tires good enough when they aren’t the best? Because if that argument holds, then a winter rated all weather tire isn’t good enough? Then what is the rating for?

Here’s a little additional rub. The Clear Creek sheriff’s office is smack in the prime I-70 ice corridor. They use Chevy Tahoe’s shod with Goodyear Duratracs. These are your first responders. I wonder why they choose that particular winter rated tire? They aren’t cheap.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To echo most of the thread. AWD and winter specific tires, don't cheap out on your safety, get the best snow tires you can. Blizzaks seem to be the tire of choice for most Alaskan drivers. Also there is a reason that there is a TON of Subarus in Alaska, AWD and we have awesome snow tires for them, both studded and studless. Best car for getting around up here in all seasons. I have a set of winter tires on rims and I switch them to a separate set of summer all weather tires on rims. In fact I'm doing the swap this weekend because winter has finally lost it's hold and the roads have dried out.

My personal recommendation for winter driving (aka, what I really need to get for my wife to drive instead of her Impreza) is a Subaru Crosstrek with Blizzak tires. It's big enough to carry lots of stuff and has enough ground clearance to be useful in all by crazy storm situations.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

:D

So to sum up this thread:

The only safe winter option is the studded Hakka 9. On any vehicle. Until the studded Hakka X.

The naysayers will say the Hakka X is not selling well and is going to be discontinued, but then the numbers will come out showing it outsold all other tires. Warren Buffet will buy 75 million shares of Nokian and the bull markets will snort a sigh of relief while still secretly believing that Nokian is ultimately doomed because all it does it make tires and other tire companies have a better ecosystem.

Last edited:
TS
TheHitman

TheHitman

Putting on skis
Skier
Great info for moving to CO in a couple months.

To make sure I'm understanding, for my front wheel drive Highlander, I'd be okay with either of these:

First pick: Hakkapallita SUV 9
or
Second pick: Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

With the Falken, I "could" use it year round? Or no?

But with the Hakkapallita, I'd have to take them off for the summer?

BTW, I'm fine with getting a 4x4 or AWD if needed...but I'd rather keep my front wheel drive Highlander if I can get up the mountain in snow storms.

As a side note, I've used cables quite often when really needed and they've worked well. But I've not ever used them in more than four or five inches of snow on the road.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Great info for moving to CO in a couple months.

To make sure I'm understanding, for my front wheel drive Highlander, I'd be okay with either of these:

First pick: Hakkapallita SUV 9
or
Second pick: Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

With the Falken, I "could" use it year round? Or no?

But with the Hakkapallita, I'd have to take them off for the summer?

BTW, I'm fine with getting a 4x4 or AWD if needed...but I'd rather keep my front wheel drive Highlander if I can get up the mountain in snow storms.

As a side note, I've used cables quite often when really needed and they've worked well. But I've not ever used them in more than four or five inches of snow on the road.

The Hakkas are awesome, but you will have to take them off in April.

The Falken AT3W is a great tire but way to aggressive off road style for your Highlander.

I would go for the Copper ATW's. Year round tire good for snow and on and off road. Nothing crazy but very capable.