• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3D Joint Movements

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tomgellie, thank you for reopening this thread. I had a private discussion with another forum member back in January, and actually felt that I needed to correct some of what I said, but you've taken the discussion to a much higher level. What is your background, please?

The video you posted is very illustrative. You identify the movement as "rotation between the femoral condyles and the tibial plateau." If I understand correctly, the meniscus lies between? Does motion occur at the top surface of the meniscus, at the bottom, or as some mix of the two? All this has implications for those who have incurred knee injuries.

If there were any rotation of the tibia and fibula around each other involved, there would need to be some motion at the ankle joint. Does any such motion whatsoever take place?

Allow me the following observations. In identifying the gross motor movements that take place in skiing, the first thing we are interested in is the rotation that we can achieve of the foot relative to the knee (or specifically relative to the upper leg, the tibia). As well as resulting from what you have called knee rotation (I'll stick with that terminology absent a better term), this results from movement in the subtalar joint. As others have noted, the contribution of subtalar joint motion seems to be much the larger of the two. One can separate the contributions of the two by observing the degree of rotation of the ankle bone protrusions (on the axis of the shin). Try the following after taking off your socks and stripping to shorts (or less, that's up to you). First stand tall, and pick up one foot only slightly from the floor, so that the knee is bent very slightly. Turn the foot left and right, without rotating the upper leg. I think that you will find that you are able to achieve very little knee rotation. Muscular engagement is not sufficient to overcome the resistance of the tissues. Now place the foot on the floor, with the knee still very slightly bent. Keep your balance on a chair back or something with your hands. Now use body rotation to twist the knee. You should be able to achieve some slight rotation. This tells me that with the leg in this position, the function of the knee rotation is probably primarily shock absorbtion, as opposed to active movement. Now, finally, sit in a chair, and raise one foot, with the knee bent at about a 90 degree angle. In this position, I think that you will be able to achieve a SUBSTANTIAL amount of knee rotation.

I think that in part this is what you meant when you said, "ANd dont forget to test rotation in closed chain motion (foot on the ground) as opposed to open chain (foot in the air) which is what everyone on the forum has suggested to do by sitting down with a flexed hip and knee to test. Its very different and you will find that there is more internal rotation possible when the leg is in closed chain."

To me, this is an illustration of what our trainers have been harping on--that generally speaking, we have greater ranges of motion available to us when all joints are somewhat bent, when muscles are neither fully stretched nor fully flexed.

There are undoubtedly differences in the results from achieving foot rotation mostly from knee rotation as opposed to mostly from motion in the subtalar joint. I see differences in the effects on inversion versus eversion, which will be very important to ski performance. An interesting question to me is, to what degree can we independently control knee rotation and subtalar joint motion? Or does our nervous system input largely treat the two as a single movement?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Tomgellie, thank you for reopening this thread. I had a private discussion with another forum member back in January, and actually felt that I needed to correct some of what I said, but you've taken the discussion to a much higher level. What is your background, please?

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
getting the skis to grip early if needed at the top of the turn

Thank you so much for contributing your knowledge and experience, and for the media.

As for early grip at top of turn, from my own kinesthetic awareness, there is certainly an effort to "reach" for the snow with the tip. Is this a knee rotation? How would one actually see it happening, perhaps with a dry-land simulated body position and motion?

Edit: I don't mean by sitting down. I mean by assuming a skiing position. I tried lying on my side and propping my leg on a chair. Very contorted and didn't feel like I was in an angulated high turn initiation.

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
@Chris V. wrote, "sit in a chair, and raise one foot, with the knee bent at about a 90 degree angle. In this position, I think that you will be able to achieve a SUBSTANTIAL amount of knee rotation."

Do you also mean rotate with the heel as the center of rotation?

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Thank you so much for contributing your knowledge and experience, and for the media.

As for early grip at top of turn, from my own kinesthetic awareness, there is certainly an effort to "reach" for the snow with the tip. Is this a knee rotation? How would one actually see it happening, perhaps with a dry-land simulated body position and motion?

My guess is that medial knee rotation aids in re-supination of the outside foot and so begins the untipping process early... but it seems driven primarily via foot rotation. We’ll see what Tom has to say...

zenny

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor

The video you posted is very illustrative. You identify the movement as "rotation between the femoral condyles and the tibial plateau." If I understand correctly, the meniscus lies between? Does motion occur at the top surface of the meniscus, at the bottom, or as some mix of the two? All this has implications for those who have incurred knee injuries.

If there were any rotation of the tibia and fibula around each other involved, there would need to be some motion at the ankle joint. Does any such motion whatsoever take place?

Allow me the following observations. In identifying the gross motor movements that take place in skiing, the first thing we are interested in is the rotation that we can achieve of the foot relative to the knee (or specifically relative to the upper leg, the tibia). As well as resulting from what you have called knee rotation (I'll stick with that terminology absent a better term), this results from movement in the subtalar joint. As others have noted, the contribution of subtalar joint motion seems to be much the larger of the two. One can separate the contributions of the two by observing the degree of rotation of the ankle bone protrusions (on the axis of the shin). Try the following after taking off your socks and stripping to shorts (or less, that's up to you). First stand tall, and pick up one foot only slightly from the floor, so that the knee is bent very slightly. Turn the foot left and right, without rotating the upper leg. I think that you will find that you are able to achieve very little knee rotation. Muscular engagement is not sufficient to overcome the resistance of the tissues. Now place the foot on the floor, with the knee still very slightly bent. Keep your balance on a chair back or something with your hands. Now use body rotation to twist the knee. You should be able to achieve some slight rotation. This tells me that with the leg in this position, the function of the knee rotation is probably primarily shock absorbtion, as opposed to active movement. Now, finally, sit in a chair, and raise one foot, with the knee bent at about a 90 degree angle. In this position, I think that you will be able to achieve a SUBSTANTIAL amount of knee rotation.

I think that in part this is what you meant when you said, "ANd dont forget to test rotation in closed chain motion (foot on the ground) as opposed to open chain (foot in the air) which is what everyone on the forum has suggested to do by sitting down with a flexed hip and knee to test. Its very different and you will find that there is more internal rotation possible when the leg is in closed chain."

To me, this is an illustration of what our trainers have been harping on--that generally speaking, we have greater ranges of motion available to us when all joints are somewhat bent, when muscles are neither fully stretched nor fully flexed.

There are undoubtedly differences in the results from achieving foot rotation mostly from knee rotation as opposed to mostly from motion in the subtalar joint. I see differences in the effects on inversion versus eversion, which will be very important to ski performance. An interesting question to me is, to what degree can we independently control knee rotation and subtalar joint motion? Or does our nervous system input largely treat the two as a single movement?

Ok so let’s clarify some things here. When YOU test your ability to rotate the knee joint actively with only a slight bend at the knee YOU don’t notice much if any movement. That’s an independent subjective test. There are people out there myself included that can isolate and move their knee joints safely and more than a few degrees. It’s a movement you can work on if you train it. But more to the point it is much more effective wen used in closed chain motion. This is because it becomes an eccentric muscle actions you don’t need to use much active motion but tap into the bodies ability to decelerate motion at a joint, this deceleration being much stronger and giving a secondary outcome of loading the tissues like a sling shot to fire into the next movement.

There is definelty more range when the knee is flexed at around 90degrees. This range of motion is something that good skiers exploit to allow their centre of mass to remain quiet while they change direction, or create more or less edge angle. Great athletes in any sport are able to isolate parts of their body and move them to create a certain outcome. If there is the ability to move at a joint I myself am trying to figure out how I can make use of this safely and efficiently. As with any joint if you do too much this is when an injury can occur. But this can be at any joint if you push it. I’d rather have my knees trained to be strong and resilient to motion at the joint so if I do get caught in a weird bump rut or grooming rut my body is able to tolerate and control the disturbance.

So having the ability to feel, isolate and control motion actively and passively at the knee joint for ME is important for performance outcomes and safety outcomes. Whether anyone else chooses to experiment and test for themselves is entirely up to them.

And as per the last sentence about how much can we independently control subtalar motion (and by the way the rotation in the whole foot is also a combination of the midfoot and metatarsal bones moving as well if you want the most range possibly) and knee rotation? Well in closed chain motion if I actively move my foot in the opposite direction to my femur then I’d say the movement will come out mostly at the knee if that’s what I allow to happen. The body is incredibly adaptable if you train it to be.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Chris V. wrote, "sit in a chair, and raise one foot, with the knee bent at about a 90 degree angle. In this position, I think that you will be able to achieve a SUBSTANTIAL amount of knee rotation."

Do you also mean rotate with the heel as the center of rotation?

The best I can say is that the axis of rotation is in the interior of the lower leg.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok so let’s clarify some things here. When YOU test your ability to rotate the knee joint actively with only a slight bend at the knee YOU don’t notice much if any movement. That’s an independent subjective test. There are people out there myself included that can isolate and move their knee joints safely and more than a few degrees. It’s a movement you can work on if you train it. But more to the point it is much more effective wen used in closed chain motion. This is because it becomes an eccentric muscle actions you don’t need to use much active motion but tap into the bodies ability to decelerate motion at a joint, this deceleration being much stronger and giving a secondary outcome of loading the tissues like a sling shot to fire into the next movement

Yes, this would be consistent with what I observed. Closed chain motion being motion with the foot held stationary, in contact with the ground. Just because I can't generate much movement in an open chain motion, just from muscular engagement, doesn't mean the range of motion isn't useful!

There is definelty more range when the knee is flexed at around 90degrees.

Very good!

Thank you again for your valuable contributions. Plenty to experiment with and practice here.

Splunge

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Tomgellie, thank you for reopening this thread... What is your background, please?

Checkout Tom's excellent Global Skiing podcast. It helped get me through last year's off season.

Chris

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Yes, this would be consistent with what I observed. Closed chain motion being motion with the foot held stationary, in contact with the ground. Just because I can't generate much movement in an open chain motion, just from muscular engagement, doesn't mean the range of motion isn't useful!

Very good!

Thank you again for your valuable contributions. Plenty to experiment with and practice here.

I think the fact that these movements are being thought about and challenged is great. Kudos to everyone that has stopped and considered what happens, if anything, from moving in the transverse plane at the knee joint. If you consider that there are more places than just the hip joint to create rotational separation from then you’ll be able to analyze your own skiing as well as others with greater detail and accuracy.