• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

30 years ago today

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
I was in awe of Lemond back then. So inspired I ended up getting some Scott Drop In bars....with the extra extension from the bottom of the drops. Which I now read are in the top 10 dumbest bits of bike tech lol. Seriously cool back then though :) Along with bullbars on fixies

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Besides the doping aspects was it not also the end of old school bike racing (and the genesis of the Lance/..../Team Sky dominance by science). Always seemed to me that it was not so much Lemond won but Fignon lost it in that ITT by riding it like an old skooler, hair flapping , no aero bars/position (though I note he was using disc wheels)

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It wasn't just the last TT that made that race so amazing, they traded the yellow jersey 5 or 6 times throughout the race. It was a battle from the beginning! As amazing as that race was, I think '86 was even more dramatic with LeMond having to battle Hinault and his own team. His only help coming from a few sympathetic riders in the peloton - all after helping the Badger in '85 and being promised that '86 was his turn.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I remember people seemed to stop talking about LeMonde after Lance won his 3rd. Perhaps we should be talking about him again since he wasn't caught cheating.

James

Out There
Instructor
I remember people seemed to stop talking about LeMonde after Lance won his 3rd. Perhaps we should be talking about him again since he wasn't caught cheating.
Now the only American to win the Tour de France. What if he hadn’t been shot by a shotgun? And EPO didn’t come in the early 90’s?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Is he getting that for his cycling career or for saving the Yellowstone Club?

dm

Sponsor