• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Type 2 & 3 keep you thinking and improving. i love seeing trails for first time, the mental aspect is huge. But they are even more fun the 2nd & 3rd time since you can have a bit of a plan.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
basically IMO 3 is a trail you know really well, you can be reasonable fast on it, and you still do not really find it fun.......maybe I am just a trail snob.....

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
basically IMO 3 is a trail you know really well, you can be reasonable fast on it, and you still do not really find it fun.......maybe I am just a trail snob.....

That’s the right description for me.

I most love trails that follow what the terrain contours provide. I’m happy to be forced into an short technical climb mid flow if there is sweet stuff on the other side. Steep switchback stuff isn’t interesting - the aesthetic is the trail, not where you are.

I took this pic the other day. It’s literal flow as sandstone erosion presents and fun every time.

CC0CCC31-C203-43B8-B92D-F7B26714321E.jpeg

And an undulating ridge line “slow flow” that is a lot of fun, but never continuously fast.

19C98089-EFFE-4CE1-8039-58C89A02EDD4.jpeg

My heart also lies in the desert. Riding through terrain features that are ‘linked’ by the trail is the best stuff for me.

Tech to flow...to tech to...

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I kind of miss desert riding. I have spent literal months at a time riding in Moab, Price, Panquitch, and Gooseberry Mesa area. We have one trail at my local trails called "Too bumpy" that while the scenery and terrain is vastly different than what you pictured it has very similar flow to the high desert western riding. The problem with the east is hard to get all encompassing pictures of the trails since its Maple Rain forest. I have to say Nay you picture really make want to come out there in november when our trails can be crap and I am certain the high desert is fine to ride.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It’s funny, I’ve never thought about moving to the western slope for skiing, but the high desert mtb is starting to change my entire mindset. I hardly ride my closest trails anymore (mostly your type 3) and keep heading to Ute Valley.

This is in a freaking neighborhood right off I-25.

27ADC119-E5E4-4ECA-BB38-B145FAE41439.jpeg
3E62AD59-25D9-47CC-AD90-36D40238C7C1.jpeg

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I'd d say my favorite trails are type 3(b), first ride, not so much, but eventually? A trail that I won't 'make' every crux every time? Those are really, really great when the stars align!

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah trail that have legit cruxes....there are more of these at Cady Falls these days than anywhere else. IMO are not really type 3. Cruxes can flow really well.

IMO type 3 are trails that just do not flow well no matter how much you ride them.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Type 3’s do tend to be ‘good for you snow’, though. Even great trails usually have some ugly.

Master the ugly and the fast technical flow is a lot more fun.

As with skiing, the most overrated aspect is pitch. The best trails are smoking fast without the damage that comes from people braking on pitch.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I am pretty good at what I consider ugly, again reference first post.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid