• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3 sets of skis in travel bag?

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Heading back to CO next weekend, and am trying to figure out logistics. Has anyone stuffed 3 sets of skis and poles into a travel bag and had that work ok for the airline? My youngest daughter’s skis are quite small and light, and I can fit the 3 sets but I’m wondering if we are just better off using both travel bags. Just sort of a PITA to roll the bags through the airport, and I was thinking 1 is better than 2.

Thanks for any input.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes ,used a Dakine double roller ski bag.3 pair skis with 2 sets of poles,44 lbs flew to SLC on southwest and no problems

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Heading back to CO next weekend, and am trying to figure out logistics. Has anyone stuffed 3 sets of skis and poles into a travel bag and had that work ok for the airline? My youngest daughter’s skis are quite small and light, and I can fit the 3 sets but I’m wondering if we are just better off using both travel bags. Just sort of a PITA to roll the bags through the airport, and I was thinking 1 is better than 2.

Thanks for any input.

Sure, works fine, so long as you stay under 50lbs total.

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes ,used a Dakine double roller ski bag.3 pair skis with 2 sets of poles,44 lbs flew to SLC on southwest and no problems

Glad to hear that worked, as one of our two bags is that exact one ...

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stacked pair of skis on top of eachother,binding to binding with bases on top and bottom,used blocks of foam on ends and taped together

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Check your airlines baggage rules. Some say only one set of skis, boots, and poles count as one bag. If you get a baggage agent that knows the rules, you could be charged extra fees. Chances are it won't be an issue,, but you should have a fallback plan if you get challenged.

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Check your airlines baggage rules. Some say only one set of skis, boots, and poles count as one bag. If you get a baggage agent that knows the rules, you could be charged extra fees. Chances are it won't be an issue,, but you should have a fallback plan if you get challenged.

Hopefully a friendly conversation and generous gratuity at curbside check in will help

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
upgrade to business or first class and you get a lot more leeway on stuff. 50lb turns to 70lbs for example.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Consider your bindings as well. Sometimes you can slide a binding off the tracks and stack a couple sets together. Put your bindings in your regular baggage and you're all set.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just another data point to say "no problem." Again, as long as you stay under the 50lb. total. We'll be doing it again on Sunday when we head to Copper.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just some data points. Delta makes no mention of number of pairs of skis, only that ski bag plus boot bag must be under 50 lbs. United says two pairs of skis maximum. American says only one pair of skis. Also some clearly state that if you put other stuff in the bags you can be charged excess bag fees. I routinely see posts about stuffing clothes in the ski and boot bags to avoid a second bag fee. There was a long thread last year on Epicski about a guy that got a sharp agent and he was not happy about the extra fees. Again, know your airlines baggage rules and have a backup plan if you get challenged. .

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ all good replies

The real question as we pack for the upcoming trip...... can we stuff 4pairs in one bag :D

Dakine double concourse bag and attack demos, 3 pairs have never been a problem.
Rolling two, I stack them up or do duffles on top of each.
Delta, United, American and air Canada have never had a problem as long as your under 50lbs. Have a great trip

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
upgrade to business or first class and you get a lot more leeway on stuff. 50lb turns to 70lbs for example.
For the price of the upgrade you could buy many extra checked bags... as well as entire extra economy tickets..

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the kids skis are small, I have packed them in the regular bag/suitcase

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
If the kids skis are small, I have packed them in the regular bag/suitcase

I think it will work to get all 3 in one bag. Mine are 185, then one of my daughter’s are mid 160s and the youngest is around 140 or so.

Thanks.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
^^^^ all good replies

The real question as we pack for the upcoming trip...... can we stuff 4pairs in one bag :D

Dakine double concourse bag and attack demos, 3 pairs have never been a problem.
Rolling two, I stack them up or do duffles on top of each.
Delta, United, American and air Canada have never had a problem as long as your under 50lbs. Have a great trip

Weight issue to put four pair in a single bag. We had three pair, poles and a set of light snowshoes in a bag. Had tp remove the snowshoes to get under 50#, but the bag is a bit heavy so that may have put us over.

Sponsor

Staff online