• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kriss

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
anyone experience or familiar with the powder clinic at targhee?

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier

I have done it. I did it towards the end of the season a few years back and the snow wasn't very good (though I did get one powder day), so I ended up being the only one in the camp. Because of that, I am not sure how relevant my experience would be to others who would likely end up in a group. That said, I thought it was great. The instructor was excellent, and I learned a ton and got much better at skiing really bad snow. You spend most of the first day refining your technique on groomers and then spend the rest of the time off-trail. The instructor shot a lot of video and was really good at doing MA and pointing out my flaws and where I was making improvements. Between the early tracks (especially if you get a powder day) and the included meals (breakfasts, I think), it is a bargain compared to some of the other camps I have been to. I have had nothing but good experiences with lessons at Targhee, so I don't think you can go wrong.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Dunno but quality powder in a resort is pretty scarce even on a powder day.

I suggest you go on a cat tour:
You will get at least 10 top to bottom untracked powder runs in a day on average. That is basically impossible in a lift served resort even on the greatest of powder days.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier

You will get at least 10 top to bottom untracked powder runs in a day on average. That is basically impossible in a lift served resort even on the greatest of powder days.

The camp has the option of substituting a snowcat day for your last day of lessons for an additional cost. Seems like a good way for people to learn how to ski powder and then get a chance to spend a day skiing outside the resort in untracked snow.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

I suggest you go on a cat tour:

Have you skied Targhee? No one goes there. Every day I have skied I have every run was untracked powder skiing at least at some point, and I dont even know it that well.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Skied waist deep at targhee untracked till noon.
Tg.png

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Have you skied Targhee? No one goes there. Every day I have skied I have every run was untracked powder skiing at least at some point, and I dont even know it that well.

I have to go there then! But still nothing beats backcountry skiing for consistency in finding powder even days after a storm. Of course you can get lucky in a resort from time to time but I wouldnt bet on it.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
As one of the "no ones" to whom the Ghee is the home hill, Josh is almost 100% on this. Weekdays before Christmas the slopes will be mostly empty, and the period between new years and presidents day mostly the same. A lot of powder mornings a lot of the locals will make a few runs and head home. Late in the season, after Blackfoot closes, that whole side of the mountain will be vacant save a few souls who are willing to take the cat track out of the bottom to the Shoshone lift. Take a look at the web cam at Dreamcatcher this morning hen the lift opens, or better at mid day. Bet it is not a mob scene, and this is after 11" of snow the last two days. ( Should delete this- kinda like it to stay that way). Picture was taken mid day in early April after the Blackfoot lift closed for the season- four inches of fresh. Apparently too much work to get back there. Made laps most of the day.

IMG_0127.jpg

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
As one of the "no ones" to whom the Ghee is the home hill, Josh is almost 100% on this. Weekdays before Christmas the slopes will be mostly empty, and the period between new years and presidents day mostly the same. A lot of powder mornings a lot of the locals will make a few runs and head home. Late in the season, after Blackfoot closes, that whole side of the mountain will be vacant save a few souls who are willing to take the cat track out of the bottom to the Shoshone lift. Take a look at the web cam at Dreamcatcher this morning hen the lift opens, or better at mid day. Bet it is not a mob scene, and this is after 11" of snow the last two days. ( Should delete this- kinda like it to stay that way). Picture was taken mid day in early April after the Blackfoot lift closed for the season- four inches of fresh. Apparently too much work to get back there. Made laps most of the day.
View attachment 59357

I skied up there yesterday after 9 inches overnight, and I am pretty sure that I could have avoided skiing in any one else's tracks all day if I could have seen where I was going through the fog.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

View attachment 59357

Fake News, doesnt happen. carry On :D

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've skied Targhee all of one day.

7" the day before. 14" the day of. Locals came out and skied from about 9-10:30 or maybe 11. And complained about the lift lines of 3-4min on Dreamcatcher.

It wasn't untracked all day, but it sure was skiing powder all day. Exactly the kind of conditions that would make you a good powder skier. It is nothing like skiing in Colorado or Jackson as far as crowds:powder ratio is concerned.

James

Out There
Instructor
At the Jackson Gathering pretty much everyone fell in love with Targhee. Even blowing off another day at Jackson to go to Targhee.

Just never, ever duck a rope there. On the ridge, don't even go near it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Been there; it's terrible. Hugely crowded, mix of crust & slush, bad layout.
Strongly suggest none of you good people join me there; you won't have fun.
:facepalm:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
At the Jackson Gathering pretty much everyone fell in love with Targhee. Even blowing off another day at Jackson to go to Targhee.

Just never, ever duck a rope there. On the ridge, don't even go near it.
Talk to SP or a liftie and they may tell you about the Aussie drop-- and another guy who wasn't so lucky.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It might be a good idea, the afore mentioned powder clinic, if there is powder when you are there. If you have to reserve in advance.. Well Targhee is good but nowhere is powder guaranteed.

James

Out There
Instructor
Talk to SP or a liftie and they may tell you about the Aussie drop-- and another guy who wasn't so lucky.
That happened a few weeks before we were there! Apparently, not known till later, he didn't go under the rope.
Then there's the guy who did go under the rope right at the top to get a photo. Gone.