• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2nd Ski Recommendations?

MarcP

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all,

Me: 45yo, 6'-3", 230 lbs, advanced skier (not expert)
Where: Upstate NY
What: Pretty much everything; groomers, bumps, trees, etc. No park.
Current Ski: Fischer Progressor 9+, 180cm, 70mm waist, 14m/19m dual radius sidecut. Bought brand new in 2008!

The Progressors are great for early season, afternoon scrapped off machine groomed hardpack, and the typical warm/wet-cold/dry cycle we get here. When I bought them I knew I wanted something that wouldn't fold up under me on the hard snow. They are absolutely perfect for that and I'll never give them up.

However, carving railroad tracks is fine but at my usual 700 vert hill it gets boring. I find myself being drawn the ungroomed stuff when at all possible, and as you all know we do get dumped on here from time to time. So there's the issue. I've been skiing whatever powder we have, trees, the resulting cut-up chowder, and the eventual moguls on one of the better cheater GS skis from the past decade. It's forced me to be a better skier but I'm finally at a point that I can afford to get a second ski more suited for that stuff.

I think I want a lighter, more soft snow oriented ski that I can use for mid/late season or when we get dumped on. I want it to be decent in bumps, better in ungroomed powder/chowder, able to stand up to my weight and height without being floppy or noodlely, but don't want a 100MM+ powder board. Basically a low-mid 90's all mountain ski with some tip and tail rocker.

Options so far:
Stormrider 95 193cm (I would just buy this one if money was no object)
Enforcer 94 191cm
Ranger 92TI 185cm
Rustler 9 188cm

Any advise on others I should consider?

Thanks!
Marc

Reactions: BMC

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
A Dynastar M Pro 99 or the new upcoming M Free 99 (more tail rocker than the M Pro) in a 186 sounds good. I ordered the first after some recommendations from the collective here and good reviews on TGR.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Liberty Evolv 90 and Dynastar M-Pro 90 might be perfect. The Armada Declivity 92 Ti and Enforcer 94 are other ones I'd look at.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am not a light weight, at 211 lbs but I am loving the super lightweight Head Kore 93.

A few seasons ago I demoed and was all set to buy a Nordica Enforcer 93 but then I got to demo a Kore 93. It was an immediate Stop the Presses.

The Kore 93 is a lot lighter than the Enforcer 93 yet it is stiffer. A lot of skiers who normally don't ski on stiff skis still end up liking the Kore because its lightness makes them so easy to throw around and I find that unlike most light skis the Kore 93 does not throw me around in cut up snow.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Enforcer 94. Because of what you’ve nominated they all have similar use cases, and I like the Enforcer feel.

As I was reading your Q (but before reading the skis you were considering) I was thinking a circa 100mm ski such as the Enforcer 100, to offer even more range in the quiver. But there’s not much difference between 94 and 100 underfoot.

TS
M

MarcP

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So I’ve gotten some responses on another forum to look at the Kore 93’s, as well as the Jskis MB. I’ve also been advised to keep the length below 190.

The finance director has ruled out the SR’s.

My updated list is:

Jski MB 187(?)
Enforcer 94 186
Kore 94 185
Ranger 92TI 185
Rustler 9 188(?)

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
those are all some pretty long lengths for 700ft NY hill (I get that you are a big dude, but still...). Master Blaster is Great, but I'd stick with the 181. I ski with several bigger guys who use this 90% of the time on a smallish hill in New England). The Kore and The Rustler are pretty, pleasant and mellow skis (I've owned the Rustler 9 and skied the Kore 93). Looks like a good list-if you get a chance to try some of these in multiple lengths, give the '180cm'range a fair shot (more likely to find demos in that length, too).

Sponsor

Staff online