• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

29+ 12x197 Wheelset needed

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I am going to pickup a 29+ wheelset and I'm looking for recommendations. Looks like the only way to pair a set is to have them built. I didnt want to spend more than about 1K. I have looked at Light Cycle with 350 hubs for $1100 or Derby's with a Hope for 1500.00 but not a huge Hope fan and that seems high for this kind of wheelset. If anyone hs a line on a set or can make suggestions, its appreciated.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Ron - Shoot an email to Mike at Lacemine29. He has more wheel experience than anyone I know. He is over by Fruita has ridden a ton of 29+ combos.

The last set of 29+ wheels I rode where 50mm Carbon from Light Bicycle with DT350 hubs. it was a lot of wheel/tire being a 29x3.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'm down to 3 bikes now, Why Cycles Big Iron.

C4504067-612D-426E-AF60-AF2877ABF3FD_1_201_a.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ron - Shoot an email to Mike at Lacemine29. He has more wheel experience than anyone I know. He is over by Fruita has ridden a ton of 29+ combos.

The last set of 29+ wheels I rode where 50mm Carbon from Light Bicycle with DT350 hubs. it was a lot of wheel/tire being a 29x3.

Another vote for Lacemine29.

Mike Curiak epitomizes the no BS approach. Now relocated about an hour north of Boise, but that doesn't matter.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So I just ordered a set of Derby 29" 40i AM wheels with Dt Swiss 350 hubs (upgraded to 54t) from Mike. THANKS TO ALL. it was a good deal, and it included Bontrager XR 2's (F/R).

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I received my Derby wheelset from Mike Curiak from lacemeine29 as expected, he did a fantastic job. The entire process was excellent. He asks a lot of questions to glean information to build you the best wheelset. He doesn’t just suggest the most expensive options but rather works with your budget but gives you the plus/minus’s wheels came with tires installed and set up for tubeless I just added Orange sealant and inflated them with my compressor, they seated right up and have held 15psi for several hours now. I can’t wait to get these rolling and dirty. I have to wait until July 2nd to get the bike setup though. The shop is swamped. While the rear Bonti XR2
looks large for sure, the front XR4 looks more like a motorcycle wheel.

k
EF3684B5-6FF6-4E19-B6FC-7A7AB59C99F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious how you like the XR2. I did two rides on mine and took it off. Hit some ‘greasy’ patches and it just skated. I don’t mind a bit of drifting in the rear, but that was to much for me.
that was on 27.5x2.8, btw.

Guys at NSMB.com seem to like ‘em, so who know, might just be me. Or maybe the 29er is a bit different effect.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I haven't been able to ride it. I am dealing with an angry Iliopsoas I just got the bike back (had to have the fork installed and cut) on Friday. I have pedaled it around on flat ground. for hardpacked dirt, very little loose I think the xr2 will be fine. I am actually swapping the xr4 (currently on the front) out for a XR2. even on flat ground it's heavy and just seems to be overkill. I wish they made the XR3 in a 3.0. Overall, I like the 3.0 a lot. I set it up at 14 rear, 13 front, I will go from there. my ride starts with a 1/2 mile 10% climb (8-12% actually) so I need for my leg to be working right :)

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the XR3 in 2,6 would make a great tire. Something a little more aggressive than a Rekon.

BTW- I just rode up about 1/4 mile onto some rocky rutted and hard dirt, I had the rear at 12 and front around that. FUN. The bikes climbs really well and on the down, the 130 absorbed very well. Most surprising was that when Im riding rutted rocky stuff (I always hover butt anyway) the low PSI and the 3.0 rear tire absorbed much better than I thought it would. I need to give the bike a proper test to truly evaluate but first taste was really good. Remember, Im not trying to ride this like and enduro bike. For recreational XC, Trail riding, I like fat tires and this has a really nice feel, it wasn't ponderous or vague. the wider tires soak up chatter and of course, the roll over of a ~31" wheel is cool.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
OK So all set up and ready to roll! Tires on the i40 rims measure exactly 3.0". there's about 1cm of room from the tire to the crown. my apologies for not lining up the tires, its hot today. :).

8ED5C4C5-2334-4558-A605-4B97F850C03F_1_201_a.jpeg
258187A2-50E9-4135-B0BC-F5418C15353F_1_201_a.jpeg
247B5EF3-4777-40AC-8AA1-2BFFFAECC796_1_201_a.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful!

The green stem, though.......not so sure.

Might need a poll!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
no way, the green is cool, look at the winter wheelset above. green i9's and green/silver spokes.

Sponsor

Staff online