• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

250ft. vertical in your backyard? Literally. And it can be yours!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
this ‘cottage’ in canada comes with five ski slopes and lifts on the property. think of it as your own private ski hill.

You could buy a lakeside cottage in Canada for CA$25 million OR you could buy this house complete with five ski slopes, a t-bar lift system, backcountry trails and even night skiing for CA$1.5million.

BN-MO525_fiddle_J_20160211145958.jpg

According to the Wall Street Journal this home for sale in Ontario has 123 acres and a 250 foot vertical drop ski hill.

Rob Birch and Francine Goulet were dating when Mr. Birch took Ms. Goulet to see the place—about two hours from Toronto, Canada—where he’d learned to ski as a child. The overgrown 123-acre property in Huntsville, Ont. was no longer an operating ski mountain. ‘We walked to the top of the hill and the views were outstanding. … We were starting our life together and we thought, ”Wouldn’t this be neat to have a chalet here,’’ says Ms. Goulet. They walked back to their car, which was parked on the old dirt road, and as they pulled away they saw the ‘for sale’ sign.

‘We purchased it and thought, ”Oh my god, we now own a ski hill,”’ says Mr. Birch, who, with Ms. Goulet, owns and runs a logistics company. The couple says they paid approximately $90,000 Canadian dollars for the property in 1997 (US$65,534 in today’s dollars) and then set about restoring the ski facilities. They recut the five runs and the two back-country trails and restored the T-bar lift. One run, named Nancy Greene after the Canadian Olympic skier, has lights for night skiing. They also built two large shops to store equipment.

BN-MO533_fiddle_J_20160211150022.jpg

The home is for sale through Christies and Chestnut Park Real Estateand is listed as:

Screenshot-2016-02-18-20.09.27.png

So, who’s in? The Canadian dollar is at parity with the Australian so think of this is as a bargain.

LINK: http://www.snowsbest.com/house-with-5-private-ski-slopes-for-sale-in-canada/

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That's like real Iowa skiing!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wow. Im game. If had the money...

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That is beautiful! I originally saw it on my iphone when I first read the post - now looking at it on my big monitor.

BN-MO525_fiddle_J_20160211145958.jpg

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't see a hot tub. I need my hot tub. :nono:

When I was single and living in an apartment, I spent nearly every evening hanging out at the hot tub (jacuzzi type).

Now I am married and the house we have lived in for 16 years has one, and I have probably used it twice.

Hot Tubs are bad for your little swimmers if you know what I mean! :(

Last edited:

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
When I was single and living in an apartment, I spent nearly every evening hanging out at the hot tub (jacuzzi type).

Now I am married and the house we have lived in for 16 years has one, and I have probably used it twice.

Hot Tubs are bad for your little swimmers if you know what I mean! :(

:eek:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This place is actually about 45 mins south of my cottage. It's right on the east side of Hwy 11 just south of Huntsville, if you happen to drive up in to northern Ontario at all. Funny thing is, the closest "real" ski hill is about 30 mins away and it's only 350' vertical. Might as well own your own at that point!

It actually used to be called Gryffin Lodge. I considered buying it but it's not on water.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I've got 250' of vert 35 miles from my back door. That's more than close enough.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I have about 100 vert on mine. Only 1.5 acres, but I bet I get a lot more snow.

I was thinking that the cost of snowmaking probably means it spends very little time looking like the photo.

scott43

Skier
I have about 100 vert on mine. Only 1.5 acres, but I bet I get a lot more snow.

I was thinking that the cost of snowmaking probably means it spends very little time looking like the photo.

Actually..it depends. It's kinda in a lake-effect region..so depending on how things go, you can get pretty significant dumps. They can get 2' in a day sometimes. And it's far enough north that they generally keep what they get. But yeah, it's not Snowbird for sure.

scott43

Skier
But there is a pond! Where was Tally Ho? Hidden Valley is still going...my dentist has a place there and then there is Daria Howell.

I thought Tally Ho was on the east side of Huntsville, near Hidden Valley. I never skied there. I've skied Hidden Valley numerous times over the years. Dara has a sign now! She rocks! :golfclap:

z-000-TownDaraX-AB-Feb20___Content.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@SBrown, how much vert do you have? Plus yours has a bit more pitch. :daffy:

Sponsor