• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

21 Things Nobody Ever Says While Skiing

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
#23 I wish we had a few more of those pouring rain then -20 cycles.

Last weekend at Tremblant, had two cycles of 20 mm rain then -20, with people polishing the ice smooth in between, my freshly sharpened edges had no hold, couldn't even hockey stop at some spots, never seen ice this hard in my entire skiing life.

Hey!

Yesterday morning offered the firmest, most set up, slippery, Chor-Due Roi I have ever experienced.

Rain, an early evening grooming, followed by cold will do that.
It's all better now however!

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Hey!

Yesterday morning offered the firmest, most set up, slippery, Chor-Due Roi I have ever experienced.

Rain, an early evening grooming, followed by cold will do that.
It's all better now however!

that stuff after an early morning grooming is perfect to scoop up into a glass and mix a little rum and coke aka.. groomed granular.. aka skiing in the hotel ice machine

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
early evening vs early morning machine grooming is the difference between skiing and drinking.

I know which of the two gets my blood running in a good way!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ski reasort food is so reasonable.
I only have to take two shuttle buses to get to the base lodge?
These long lift lines give me a chance to rest my legs
I love skiing Christmas week, it allows me to meet many interesting people...when they crash into me
I love my old straight skis...I just can't get these new shaped ones (actually heard this past week from a guy skiing K2 712's)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
# (not sure)
I'm so glad I forgot to plug my boot bag in last night. Putting on cold boots makes me hard core.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
(Poached from Semi-Rad)

1. “Yeah, today I’m skiing, but snowblades are my real passion”
  2. “You know what would make this even better? Rain.”
  3. “Oh, do you need to get by? Here, just ski over the top of my skis.”
  4. “I wish I could have gone to work today instead of doing this.”
  5. “This place is way more fun when there’s about 36 inches less snow.”
  6. “You know what really made my skiing better in the past few years? The selfie stick.”
  7. “I never really liked face shots.”
  8. “Let me tell you about my top 5 mediocre ski days.”
  9. “If I know it’s going to be a powder day, I like to get up early, go to the gym and do 5-6 sets of squats and deadlifts, 4-5 reps each set, as heavy as I can, before I head up to the mountain to ski.”
  10. “In the summertime, I like to wear these boots when I take my dog for walks.”
  11. “… and I finally said to them, “Thanks, but 11 inches is way too much new snow for me. I think I’ll stay home this time.’”
  12. “If you know what you’re doing, one pole is more than enough.”
  13. “I hope my kids don’t ever want to experience something like this.”
  14. “… and then they said, ‘You can either keep dating me, or you keep skiing—not both.’ So today’s my last day of skiing, ever.”
  15. “It takes me an hour and a half to drive here, but I really only need to ski for about 30 minutes and I’m good for the day.”
  16. “I know, it’s a beautiful day and the snow is great, but I just can’t stop thinking about how I need to clean my garage.”
  17. “If we’re lucky, the wind will pick up to 35-40 mph after lunch.”
  18. “Ask anybody—The Phantom Menace is the best Star Wars movie of the whole franchise.”
  19. “I’m in charge of building the moguls here.”
  20. “I wish this chairlift ride took twice as long.”
  21. “My kid fell down at the top of Chair 9, but I was like, ‘Sorry, bud, it’s a powder day.’ He’s almost six—he’ll figure it out.”
https://semi-rad.com/2019/01/21-thi...Gh7zV0uH0MCLnb_bLKUpw-dUzJuCqyQDbTg9rwVcc3l-A
Pugski additions:
@scott43
#22 "Wow these ski boots are the most comfortable footwear I own! "

@jzmtl

@Philpug
#24 Ski reasort food is so reasonable.
#25 I only have to take two shuttle buses to get to the base lodge?
#26 These long lift lines give me a chance to rest my legs
#27 I love skiing Christmas week, it allows me to meet many interesting people...when they crash into me
#28 I love my old straight skis...I just can't get these new shaped ones (actually heard this past week from a guy skiing K2 712's)

@Tricia
#29 I'm so glad I forgot to plug my boot bag in last night. Putting on cold boots makes me hard core.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
#30 we should leave these constant snow storms and head to a hill where it's likely to be sunny.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
# (not sure)
I'm so glad I forgot to plug my boot bag in last night. Putting on cold boots makes me hard core.

Funny-reminds me of my 1st trip ever with my own boots and skis. Super excited to get going, threw new skis and boots in the bed of my truck and drove about 3 hours in about 10-15 degree temperatures to the mountain. Didnt even have a boot bag. I will never forget putting the boots on, it was like a trip to the dentist! Talk about a good, lasting lesson.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
  • “Yeah, today I’m skiing, but snowblades are my real passion”

False.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier

Last weekend at Tremblant, had two cycles of 20 mm rain then -20, with people polishing the ice smooth in between, my freshly sharpened edges had no hold, couldn't even hockey stop at some spots, never seen ice this hard in my entire skiing life.
Oh you haven't skied Tremblant very long? Blue mountain boiler plate in Ontario? Out door ice rinks running down hill are so much fun!

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have to say though, #19, with Rob Butler at Snow Valley, Barrie, ON, in 1992 that was how it went. Boring slow day, Rob was know to say, "everyone get a shovel, he would take the cat push the snow into rollers on the hill and we would dig out equally spaced holes in the series of rollers to make perfect moguls on our less than 300 foot hill and have a nice bump run for weeks.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Oh you haven't skied Tremblant very long? Blue mountain boiler plate in Ontario? Out door ice rinks running down hill are so much fun!

dunno what # we're at.. but "Lets head to the blue for a game of downhill pickup, bring your skates."

I'm surprised there isn't more racers from ontario in the big leagues.. was talking to guys that were running with a .5/7.. might as well run a hollow carve on the edge.. carve anything

I grew up skiing brimacome (then oshawa ski club) and the freeze thaw cycles were insane as it's just north of lake ontario.. one day it'd be 40 degrees and raining, the next -30F makes skiing blue seem like a breeze as there is normally some dust over the crust to dampen a bit.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
dunno what # we're at.. but "Lets head to the blue for a game of downhill pickup, bring your skates."

I'm surprised there isn't more racers from ontario in the big leagues.. was talking to guys that were running with a .5/7.. might as well run a hollow carve on the edge.. carve anything

I grew up skiing brimacome (then oshawa ski club) and the freeze thaw cycles were insane as it's just north of lake ontario.. one day it'd be 40 degrees and raining, the next -30F makes skiing blue seem like a breeze as there is normally some dust over the crust to dampen a bit.

The racers I know and remember because they won so much were mostly that good from learning on the ice in the east. Even Ken Read, though born in Vancouver, trained in Ottawa, Camp Fortune. Only Dave Murray practiced and grew up in the west. We've had a few since these guys from the east also. Blue Mountain Boiler plate in the 80's didn't have a dust coating, anything on that hill was blown straight up and off it by the winds off Georgian Bay. Quote from The Canadian Encyclopedia

"Dave Murray, the spiritual loner who loved to strum his guitar, grew up skiing on Whistler Mountain in British Columbia.

Dave Irwin, with a super-competitive streak and known as “Thunder Thighs”, learned to ski on Loch Lomond, the ski area his father Bill developed in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Steve Podborski, the youngest on the team, had sheer guts. He grew up skiing at the Craigleith Ski Club near Collingwood, Ontario.

Ken Read, intensely focused with a steely-eyed determination, first started skiing on the mountains near Vancouver before his family moved east and he joined the Ottawa Ski Club at Camp Fortune.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
#32 No one has better parking than Northstar!

#33 I love having to walk through the village before taking two or three lifts to get to the top.

#34 I really think having enough snow to open in October is a little early.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
#32 No one has better parking than Northstar!

#33 I love having to walk through the village before taking two or three lifts to get to the top.

#34 I really think having enough snow to open in October is a little early.
On that note -
#35 - Only $30 for parking. Whoo hoo
#36 - I love the WROD. The only problem is, we need more skiers to join us.

Sponsor

Staff online