• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 East Coast Pugski/Renoun Gathering for the Eclipse. Dates: TBD

Where to go?

• Jay Peak

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Stowe

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Smugglers Notch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tuckermans

• Whiteface

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What ski area is near Cyrus and Renoun? If they are partners with PUGSKI on this gathering why not make it easy for them to bring Demos?
If @Cyrus Schenck and Renoun are sponsoring it, it woudn't be fair to him to ask other partners to bring demos.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well The Architect is the one who found it.
So now twin 7 yr old threads.

Am I nuts or wasn't there some ski mfr in VT planning to hold a party this day? I seem to remember a sign-up being posted. Renoun jumped into my head (unrelated to the photo above)

EDIT: I'm not nuts (at least on this point). I have an email when I signed up.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A bit off topic, but I had been thinking that April was the next total eclipse for the US... but it's not. There's one coming for the western/southern us on October 14th.

Not too far from Reno if you want to head north or east, @Tricia, @Philpug, @Andy Mink, @Pat AKA mustski ...

1693570188041.png

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Incoming eclipse fans to explain the difference between a total eclipse and an annular eclipse…

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Incoming eclipse fans to explain the difference between a total eclipse and an annular eclipse…
They're both total eclipses, but the annular one means the moon is slightly farther from the earth. So the ring of sun around the moon at totality is bigger.

Last edited:

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry @dbostedo but an annular eclipse is not a total eclipse. True, the moon is farther away from the Earth but it does not totally block the sun. There is still a ring of sunlight around the edge of the moon when the moon is directly in front of the sun. During a total eclipse the moon is closer to the Earth and totally blocks out the sun making the sun's corona visible. You will not be able to see the corona during an annular eclipse.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry @dbostedo but an annular eclipse is not a total eclipse. True, the moon is farther away from the Earth but it does not totally block the sun. There is still a ring of sunlight around the edge of the moon when the moon is directly in front of the sun. During a total eclipse the moon is closer to the Earth and totally blocks out the sun making the sun's corona visible. You will not be able to see the corona during an annular eclipse.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the definition of "total eclipse" was just one where there was central alignment. As opposed to a partial that was "off angle" so you always got a crescent no matter what.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A bit off topic, but I had been thinking that April was the next total eclipse for the US... but it's not. There's one coming for the western/southern us on October 14th.

Not too far from Reno if you want to head north or east, @Tricia, @Philpug, @Andy Mink, @Pat AKA mustski ...

View attachment 210298
If by, 'not too far' you mean not as far as Vermont...
The 10/14 eclipse is probably about 5 hrs drive from Reno, and that's if there is a road to get there. Lots of nothing out there.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the definition of "total eclipse" was just one where there was central alignment. As opposed to a partial that was "off angle" so you always got a crescent no matter what.
Interesting. I didn't know any of this.

annulus == ring-shaped object

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

for those near the path, say Oregon, New Mexico, etc ... it is tomorrow starting in AM

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January