• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Völkl M5 Mantra

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: First, the good: Völkl did everything right with the new M5 Mantra. It went back to its roots and narrowed the ski, to 96 mm underfoot. It made the flex more balanced, tightened the turn radius, and, most important, brought back camber. These are all positives, the ingredients for a great all-mountain ski. So the M5 should be a winner, right? I know I was excited to get on it ....

Not so fast. The jury is still out for me. I don't like saying it, but occasionally there are skis that I just cannot figure out, and the M5 is one of them. I really wanted to like this new Völkl, but for some reason we did not get along. Trust me, it was not for lack of trying. I skied it at Copper, Snowbasin, Mammoth, and Mt Rose. I skied it in the 177 and 184. I skied it with the bindings fore and aft. So, four mountains, four types of snow, two sizes, and three mount points. Nothing.

I have never been more frustrated with a ski that I know is supposed to be good. So, until the light bulb goes off for me, you will need to rely on other reviewers' opinions about the M5.

Insider tip: Sell your Mantras that are 98 mm and above and put your order in now. Daddy’s home.​

Drahtguy Kevin: A totally new Mantra welcomes camber back to the build. Groomers were sensational atop the M5 with great initiation and an energetic exit. Multiple turn shapes were a snap. The softened tip caused some dismay off piste as it deflected easily in heavier crud. The M5 embraces the “build 'em light” mantra, making this ski feel much narrower than the 96 mm it is.

Insider tip: The inclusion of camber puts this ski back on the path to greatness.​
Review updated from 2020

Who is it for?
Those who long for the first-generation Mantra, a truly trend-setting ski. Skiers who spend most of their time on groomers but like to try the trees and bumps on occasion.
Who is it not for?
While the new M5 is more accessible, it is still not a ski for the meek. Chargers who live off piste. The ski may not have the spine you desire.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes