• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Völkl Deacon 84

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The Deacon goes back to its roots à la the old 724 Pro and AC50. This is a no-compromise ski, very powerful and precise. Of all the skis offered in this category, the Deacon 84 is one of the strongest for sure. Where some of the 16m skis in this class can ski shorter, the Deacon 84 skis its full radius and is happy to stretch that out even more, making it the most GS-like in on-snow feel.

Insider tip: Note the 5cm increments; err on the shorter of two sizes.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
Those who like to let ‘er rip.
Who is it not for?
Are you afraid of losing your pass? If so, look elsewhere.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Off Piste
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
162, 167, 172, 177, 182
Dimensions
132-84-115
Radius
15.8m@172cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. System

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So many good frontside carvers here and so many potential cage matches... I went back to your review of the K2 Disruption 82ti where you said, “The 82Ti is the reference power ski in the frontside all-mountain category.” Wonder how these two stack up?

smokeythedog

Booting up
Skier
What's the consensus on this as a resort ski? I've got a set of Enforcer 104 Frees on the way, and am looking for the small ski of my new quiver. The other options I'm considering are the Enforcer 88s. I want a frontside ripper that will bust conditions that don't warrant the 104s. How fragile is the Deacon 84 once it's off the corduroy?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
My Enforcer 88 is a nice complement to my Enforcer 104. However, for pure resort on trail skiing, both the Liberty Evolv 84 or Stockli AR are great options to consider.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What's the consensus on this as a resort ski? I've got a set of Enforcer 104 Frees on the way, and am looking for the small ski of my new quiver. The other options I'm considering are the Enforcer 88s. I want a frontside ripper that will bust conditions that don't warrant the 104s. How fragile is the Deacon 84 once it's off the corduroy?

Not fragile at all so long as the archer keeps the tail following the tip. It's a very good ski. The word I always thing of is 'connected' to describe the ski/snow feel.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Yup, Deacon's are definitely more ski than the Enforcer 88--more like a Spitfire 80 in the Nordica line. Nonetheless, the Enforcer 88 is nice for what it is--I tend to use it as the middle of a 3 ski quiver, complementing a wide (100+) soft snow ski and a narrow (approx 70mm) groomer ski.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sooo longterm update, about 40 days on them, still fun, lots of friends have bought after testing mine, this was not planned but the 2 buddies showing up today we looked like this.

Its the ski I grab the most, and... I have a LOT of skis. On frontside, even on fairly icey, its stable/fun, can open up radius if super icy, and it can go through bumps/crud, or use them as jumps if you prefer. It can even be taken into the woods/some bumps.

It does not replace a 60/70mm ski, and it does not replace a 100mm+ ski. but it does a very good job combing them.

The only "wrench" in the machine is the new v-werks edition which might just be even better, friends are still not quite agreeing on that though.

2021-02-11 20.18.54.jpg

sdmay59

Booting up
Skier
Demoed a pair this winter and was hooked. Smooth yet lively with great rebound. Tried Kendo too but was not as impressed as I was with the Deacon 84. Before the season was over, I got a pair at 30% off msrp.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a lot of skis, and they have been the ski I ski the most no doubt, I have over 100 days on them, before now. They are also the #1 ski friendss ask to borrow, and the #1 friends have bought after borrowing it.

30% off definetly helps! here they have done some discounts this year, vs 0 last year.

ondra

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A question for those of you who have put a lot of days on these skis: Do they lose anything over time? Would it be a mistake to buy them used?

(I found a pair for sale that were used for marketing/demonstrations or something like that - guaranteed not to have been used as rental skis. Not sure what to make of that. (Perhaps someone else does?) If it were a sports car, I would definitely steer clear of one that had been lent out to (and thrashed by) journalists.)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All skis loose something, but I can't say I noticed any degradation, we put 100 days on a pair before I sold them to a good buddy, still going strong! (bought new pair v-werks)

I still get to ski them, he has skied them as his main ski all of this season, 0 issues and happy camper.

Amongst friends, family and people I ski with, I think we have 15? ish pairs of theese now.

check bases, check edges, then dont worry!

It's still one of the best skis if you dont have a huge quiver, and even if you do, its still an awesome ski. It's one I always bring with me on a trip in winter.

2022-03-03 18.22.15.jpg

ondra

Skier
All skis loose something, but I can't say I noticed any degradation, we put 100 days on a pair before I sold them to a good buddy, still going strong! (bought new pair v-werks)

I still get to ski them, he has skied them as his main ski all of this season, 0 issues and happy camper.

Amongst friends, family and people I ski with, I think we have 15? ish pairs of theese now.

check bases, check edges, then dont worry!

It's still one of the best skis if you dont have a huge quiver, and even if you do, its still an awesome ski. It's one I always bring with me on a trip in winter.

View attachment 163259
OK, thanks for the insight!!!

ondra

Skier
Would you buy these skis? (Pictures below.)

Apparently they were sourced from a Volkl test center in Switzerland.

At least when I enlarge the images on my monitor, the top sheets definitely don't look new, with a lot of faint scratches and a few nicks in the sides. Alas, they sent no photos of the edges or bottoms, though they say that the bases have no defects to be seen. Not sure how quickly/badly these get marked up. If the marks look like a month or two of skiing, I imagine they're still in great shape. If more like 12 months, I'm out. If I can get skis at a big discount that ski like new and will stay that way with the little use (7-14 days/yr) I'll give them for 5 years, great. Otherwise I'd rather buy new.

(In the worst case, I have some time to return them. But it would be because of what I see after they're shipped to me - I don't think I'll be able to test them.)

Thanks for any advice about this!

Attachments

• used D84s -1--20220318_110024.jpg
    used D84s -1--20220318_110024.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 49
  • used D84s-2--20220318_110040.jpg
    used D84s-2--20220318_110040.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 46
  • used D84s-3--20220318_110032.jpg
    used D84s-3--20220318_110032.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 48

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They look surprsingly wellkept on topsheet pics

But look at bases and edges, that is where the damage will be

as for marks, my GF's still look like brand new, my coworkers looks 10 years old, identical year & topsheets. It show you store them and keep them but its only cosmetical, Look at how much side edge is left, and how bases are.

How many euros are you pay inc/exc?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Deacon 84 has come so far from the old AC skis let alone the zero camber RTMs. Unfortunately with the ski being on the market for so long, we forget to mention it in conversation which is really a shame for it is a worthy consideration for anyone looking for a groomer based mid 80mm ski.

Last edited:

ondra

Skier
How many euros are you pay inc/exc?
They're selling for about 440 with tax. New are available for about 760. So a real savings, but on the other hand, when I started searching for skis this season, I could easily imagine paying more for a top quality ski. However, last time both my girlfriend and I bought skis we demoed and didn't regret it. So now that I've found these used ones, I would feel a bit stupid buying new. Though then again, last time I actually demoed them, so I knew they skied well ... .

Anyway, I'll ask for photos of the edges. We'll see.

Sponsor