• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Trek Emonda details.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the reach is 5mm longer. I am sure the Geo will work for many however, personally, I dont think dropping my bars by 15mm (a seat to bar drop totaling 7cms) would work, when I went to RETUL, he said although I am very flexible, power-wise, a larger drop didnt work for me. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in that a large drop is always beneficial to riders. It may be more aero but if your body geo doesnt produce as much power or you cant ride in that position for a long time, its not a good setup.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Well, the front center is also longer.

And is finally long enough (and low enough) for me!

And the H1.5 fit works for me, too, but I do like a fairly low bar.

I'm holding off for now, since rumors of a new Checkpoint are also floating around. If they lighten that model up, I'd probably go that route, mostly for the added tire clearance.

The checkpoint needs a geo overhaul. for gravel, the HT angle is too steep, I think 71.5-72 is about perfect (depending on where and what you ride) , and they could use a BB drop increase to 7.5-8.0. It will be interesting to see if they go the route of adding a shock in the head (ala, future shock) or seat post. (the joy of Ti mitigates so much well). Not that will help with handling for a road bike but it will help to separate its purpose in the lineup.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the reach is 5mm longer. I am sure the Geo will work for many however, personally, I dont think dropping my bars by 15mm (a seat to bar drop totaling 7cms) would work, when I went to RETUL, he said although I am very flexible, power-wise, a larger drop didnt work for me. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in that a large drop is always beneficial to riders. It may be more aero but if your body geo doesnt produce as much power or you cant ride in that position for a long time, its not a good setup.

I don't really run an overly large drop, but I need a slightly larger (longer) frame because I'm all torso.

So I end up with not that high of a seat, relative to the top tube, hence my need for a lower stack height.

On H2, I can't get the bars down to where I want them, but H1.5 should be the Goldilocks position for me. Those that want a slightly higher bar can PM me, and I'll send you a spacer!

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The checkpoint needs a geo overhaul. for gravel, the HT angle is too steep, I think 71.5-72 is about perfect (depending on where and what you ride) , and they could use a BB drop increase to 7.5-8.0. It will be interesting to see if they go the route of adding a shock in the head (ala, future shock) or seat post. (the joy of Ti mitigates so much well). Not that will help with handling for a road bike but it will help to separate its purpose in the lineup.

Boy, I really LOVE the way my Checkpoint handles, though I use it mostly as a road and "moderate" gravel bike. The Procaliber with rugged 38c tires comes out for the tougher gravel stuff. SO much more fun on the downhills! And a lot more friendly to my goofy left hand.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
my moots is a 72* HA but that was calculated with 32's, I'm running 38's now so I am sure its a little slacker (certainly the rake is different) and its stable on the descents but I can see how some who ride rougher terrain might want a slacker head. Brad Bingham (he bought Ericksen) runs a 71* for his personal bike with a 8cm drop but, thats for rowdier faster stuff.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well......I pulled the trigger on an SL7 etap in 60c. Pretty low stock, and the next batch isn't due until late September.

Not sure about the wireless stuff, but it was the easiest way to get the gearing range I want around here. I'll swap the 10-33 cassette for a 10-26 immediately, which will give me a a 35 x 36 low gear, which will be adequate, though I do love the 34 x 40 setup on my Checkpoint.

FWIW, the shop has had "solid" luck with the etap stuff.

Stoked!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
been running etap for some time now with ZERO issues. AXS is superb and of course, its wireless and no silly hidden batteries :). Set it for sequential shifting and forget about having a front derailleur except those time where you need to go to a drastically different gear immediately.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
been running etap for some time now with ZERO issues. AXS is superb and of course, its wireless and no silly hidden batteries :). Set it for sequential shifting and forget about having a front derailleur except those time where you need to go to a drastically different gear immediately.

Great to hear on the etap. Thanks, Ron!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You people with your "e" shifters. ;) Taking all of the purity out of shifting.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I want to develop an app for my phone that will allow me to hijack the wireless shifters:ogbiggrin:

that was considered when developing Etap and Di2. both Sram and Shimano were concerned that someone could hack the system on pro riders.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: I got one of these and it has blown about a hundred miles an hour here every day since.

The worst road riding conditions imaginable.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Specialized is coming out with a new Tarmac. More aero. Integrated cockpit. Venge is being scuttled from the line.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ My last road bike was a Tarmac, probably about 10 years old (SL2? SL3?). I'm not really into road bikes that much, but I thought it was a great bike.

But 25s were a fairly tight fit, and 28s were what I call a "suicidal fit", so I decided it was time for a new toy that I can run 28s on -- and even 32s should the urge ever strike.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
^^^ My last road bike was a Tarmac, probably about 10 years old (SL2? SL3?). I'm not really into road bikes that much, but I thought it was a great bike.

But 25s were a fairly tight fit, and 28s were what I call a "suicidal fit", so I decided it was time for a new toy that I can run 28s on -- and even 32s should the urge ever strike.

You'll be able to fit wider rubber on the new Tarmac. I run 28' on my Venge and have plenty of space left.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll be able to fit wider rubber on the new Tarmac. I run 28' on my Venge and have plenty of space left.

Maybe you misread. I already have a new Emonda. It fits 32s comfortably.

Took it out on its first wind-free "baseline" loop today. Hit one climbing PR, and my PR for the overall loop.

Loving this bike!

But I hear you on the tire width topic. I think EVERYBODY is allowing for this on their new road bikes.

Sponsor