• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Trek Emonda details.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess they had some leftover paint from the Klein days.

Trek-Emonda-Disc-Project-One-Road-Bike-2021.jpg

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW- there are several errors on the Geo chart. Other than stack, there really were no significant changes.

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
RIP H2 Emonda from all of us T-rex shaped people out there :(

Finally bringing some aero shapes over. That's a nice update, along with the better tire clearance. Interesting to see them still stick to the loooooong reach VR-C bar shape in the day of super long hydro brake hoods, though.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I won't be able to make a H 1.5 work. I am already using the extended seat mast cap with a 5.5cm Saddle to HBAR drop so no way I can drop my bars that much, the current Stack is 596, the new is 581. 15mm is a deal breaker for me. The 60 frame is too long for me. There are very little actual Aero gains. If you read carefully, they are including the Aero bar, Stem as well as the wheels into the savings. I already run Enve Aero bar/Stem and Enve 4.5Ar wheels. the time savings are really insignificant especially given the majority of gains are not associated with the frame

What exactly does "18 seconds faster on an 8.1% incline over the course of an hour..." mean?? Like riding an hour of 8.1% grade??? And why 8.1%? :)

Good news is that it doesn't appear you have to use the Bontrager integrated bar/stem. And, I hope they changed the outgoing version that came on my bike. It was not a compact bar and was unusable, Trek was good about that and gave me a credit towards other gear. as mentioned by @zircon above.

Quote on Aero gains

The deeper fork, elongated seat stays, and Kammtail seat tube and downtube make the Emonda 60 seconds quicker on a flat road and 18 seconds faster on an 8.1% incline over the course of an hour than the outgoing model. These gains aren’t just down to the frame however, as Bontrager's integrated Aeolus RSL bar/stem and Aeolus RSL 37 wheels also play their part in keeping both drag and weight down.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never liked the weird seatpost. Awesome frame. Agree looks like change for the sake of change.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Agree looks like change for the sake of change.

I give them credit for cleaning up the cables and making it a bit more up to date but as a current owner, there's nothing new for me as a buyer. The seat-post thing.... uggghhhh dont even get me started. :). I think the reality is that until there is a major innovation in materials or components, the gains achieved are going to be incremental. The biggest changes recently have been the latest generation of carbon wheels (23-25C rims) and AXS/Di2 (although Di2 is still wired)

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I won't be able to make a H 1.5 work. I am already using the extended seat mast cap with a 5.5cm Saddle to HBAR drop so no way I can drop my bars that much, the current Stack is 596, the new is 581. 15mm is a deal breaker for me. The 60 frame is too long for me. There are very little actual Aero gains. If you read carefully, they are including the Aero bar, Stem as well as the wheels into the savings. I already run Enve Aero bar/Stem and Enve 4.5Ar wheels. the time savings are really insignificant especially given the majority of gains are not associated with the frame

What exactly does "18 seconds faster on an 8.1% incline over the course of an hour..." mean?? Like riding an hour of 8.1% grade??? And why 8.1%? :)

The deeper fork, elongated seat stays, and Kammtail seat tube and downtube make the Emonda 60 seconds quicker on a flat road and 18 seconds faster on an 8.1% incline over the course of an hour than the outgoing model. These gains aren’t just down to the frame however, as Bontrager's integrated Aeolus RSL bar/stem and Aeolus RSL 37 wheels also play their part in keeping both drag and weight down.

Ah, yes. The bike version of marketing rocker is alive and well. I read way too fast to notice those details.

My 2017 SL6 is going to be my (first and) last Emonda with the stack height change. The H2 50cm I own is about as long and low as I can go with long tibia/short torso problems without getting kneed in the chest in the drops. Alas for being able to ride a sexy snappy handling climbing bike.

Reactions: Ron

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
What exactly does "18 seconds faster on an 8.1% incline over the course of an hour..." mean?? Like riding an hour of 8.1% grade??? And why 8.1%?

From bikeradar: https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2021-trek-emonda/

"Trek quantifies these improvements in a fairly unconventional way, claiming that, for a 70kg rider, the new bike will save you 18 seconds per hour when climbing an 8% grade at a fairly spicy 350W, when compared to the old Emonda. "

Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of both the weight and power numbers. A 5 W/kg power to weight ratio seems like a dream (more like a fantasy) to me.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

"Trek quantifies these improvements in a fairly unconventional way, claiming that, for a 70kg rider, the new bike will save you 18 seconds per hour when climbing an 8% grade at a fairly spicy 350W, when compared to the old Emonda. "

Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of both the weight and power numbers.

LOL, yeah, 350 watts continuous for an hour. I am OK in admitting I cant do that. :). And, I don't weigh 150 pounds either. Now I want to know what happens if its 8.2%. LOL. I'm sure there are plenty of pro and high-level riders who can do that and they will be riding this frame in tours but for the rest of us......

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
My 2017 SL6 is going to be my (first and) last Emonda with the stack height change. T

the good news your 2017 is just fine as it is. If you wanted to, you could buy a closeout of the 2019/2020 frame. it's a little lighter and one or two other tweaks I believe.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier

Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of both the weight and power numbers. A 5 W/kg power to weight ratio seems like a dream (more like a fantasy) to me.

L O L. Sounds like they've completely turned around their design philosophy to trickling down the pro models. They were pretty unusual for a while among the big manufacturers for building a race-y bike mortals could feel good about and also enjoy riding.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
H1.5 just sounds like, hey,"lets get rid of one of the geo's....." to your point ( @zircon ) I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the Emonda's sold were H2's. .

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
The only benefit I see on the 2021 is the T-47 threaded bottom bracket. My experience with pressfit bottom brackets has been awful (as mentioned in the pet peeves thread) and unless there's no choice, I will not buy another frame with a pressfit BB.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
H1.5 just sounds like, hey,"lets get rid of one of the geo's....." to your point ( @zircon ) I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the Emonda's sold were H2's. .

Yeah I noticed that the headtube is much shorter for any given size compared to the H2 Emondas. Not happy about that.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
There's nothing that a 40 degree stem (pointing up) can't fix, but it may leave a crushed pride.

Well looking good is part of it at least to me since i am not very fast :roflmao:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW- there are several errors on the Geo chart. Other than stack, there really were no significant changes.

Well, the front center is also longer.

The 60 frame is too long for me.

And is finally long enough (and low enough) for me!

And the H1.5 fit works for me, too, but I do like a fairly low bar.

I'm holding off for now, since rumors of a new Checkpoint are also floating around. If they lighten that model up, I'd probably go that route, mostly for the added tire clearance.

Sponsor

Staff online