• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Stöckli Laser AR

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: This is the resurrection of a Stöckli letter combo that once was a mainstay in the Laser line. The current AX was previously referred to as the AR; now the AR moniker has returned with an all-new shape. Is the Stöckli Laser AR the love child of the AX and Stormrider 88, as some think it is? Kinda sorta but not really. If by love child you mean “quietly powerful and somewhat versatile?" I would say, Yes. The AR has neither the precision of the AX nor the playfulness of the SR 88. It is more its own ski with a solid, heavy connection to the snow, a bit more serious than the Stormrider.

Insider tip: It isn't the quiver killer you might expect, but it is a good wide charger. Available flat or with a system binding.​

Drahtguy Kevin: Stöckli couldn’t be left behind in the wide-carver race, so it built the AR. It has the typical Stöckli feel: damp, strong, quiet, and refined. The power and predicability of a Stöckli never disappoint, but this pair was a minor exception. The tune may have been a little off, or perhaps a prior tester hit something on the pair I tested. The AR lacked the immediacy I’m used to with Stöckli. It seemed sluggish compared to most others in this class and a far cry from the Stöckli skis I'm familiar with.

Insider tip: Pay for a performance tune and reap the rewards of a well-built ski.​
Andy Mink: Billed by Stöckli as an all-mountain racing ski, the AR certainly possesses the smooth, quiet, damp ride that is expected from the premium brand. The AR is easy to ski at any speed, though faster is better. The edge to edge is quick for an 83mm ski, with the wider-than-AX tip pulling you easily into the turn. While billed as a 16m radius, the AR is just as happy making longer turns as the speed picks up.

Insider tip: If you want something more on-piste oriented, check out the AX. Use the race heritage to your advantage on the groomers. Have fun!​
Tricia: When someone says Stöckli Laser, I think performance carving ski. But with an 83mm waist, the Laser AR is being billed as an all-mountain ski that can cover the whole mountain. Stöckli delivered exactly what it promised, which is a smooth, responsive ski that can handle a variety of terrain and conditions with confidence. Most of the ski test days delivered up a mix of conditions, including heavy chopped-up snow, and the Laser AR sliced through it with nary a flinch.

Insider tip: If you’re looking for hyper carving, look at the Laser SC.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Bigger chargers; the AR has more beef than the AX. Skiers who live 80% on groomers but demand a competent ski when stepping off to the side.
Who is it not for?
Those looking for a replacement for their Laser AX; this is a different animal. If you’re low on cash, a lot of skis will perform at 80 to 90% of the AR at a lower price. (You will miss that 10 to 20% of sweetness, though.)
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications