• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Stöckli Laser AX

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ron: The Laser AX represents the new class of narrow all-mountain skis. It has a very unique build with softish, slightly rockered tips but is quite stiff torsionally. Moving down the ski, it is fairly stiff underfoot with thick sidewalls and ample camber. It features a more traditional tail (slightly rounded but flat-ended) that is slightly turned up with no rocker. It does what no other ski in this class can do. The tip becomes very stable when tipped on edge and pulls you into a turn like a true carving ski. The AX is eerily stable and quiet at speed, too. Taking it into softer snow like bumps and piled-up groomers, its softer tips absorb and rise up just enough. It just slices through push piles like the proverbial hot knife through butter. It can stand up to skis much wider with more rocker. I did find that the bindings may need to be moved forward just a touch. Overall this ski is fantastic! (I own it now.)

Insider tip: You would be surprised just how versatile this ski is! Those with aversions to four-digit prices just need to wait for a used pair -- but it will be worth the wait.​

UGASkiDawg: A Stöckli rocketship! The Laser AX is one of the finest skis I have ever put on my feet. I rode it at the SIA test two years ago and loved it then; I love it even more now. This is mostly because my tastes have evolved: I was previously looking for a strong one-ski quiver candidate, and the Kästle FX95 HP narrowly edged out the Stormrider 95. Now I’m looking to fill out a two-ski quiver, and this ski will be my narrower everyday ski along with a One Oh Something for the deeper days.

Insider tip: Raid the kids' college fund and/or your retirement accounts! Disclaimer: I make suggestions, you make decisions.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
People who like to have fun and spend money. Advanced intermediates and up who like the feel of a narrower ski for all-mountain conditions including boilerplate carving up to a few inches of fresh.
Who is it not for?
Beginner-level skiers and people who don’t like to pay top dollar.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men