• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Salomon S/Force Bold

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Even though the S/Force shares much of its DNA with the narrower S/Max, Salomon made the S/Force much more compliant at its extremities. The S/Force does come easy into a turn and even with its flared square tail, it can easily be worked out of a carve without any resistance. Where there is a similarity to the S/Max is at speed; other than sacrificing a bit of edge-to-edge quickness, the S/Force is just as confidence-inspiring and stable at speed. See Long-Term Review HERE.

Insider tip: No more X12 binding option.​

FairToMiddlin: Salomon jumps into the fray of the 2020 wider carver bonanza with the S/Force Bold, at 84 mm underfoot.

And wow.

I clicked into the S/Force shortly after the Stöckli Laser AR and was amazed by how well it held up against the very best the Swiss can concoct. It is powerful and stable on piste, with an intuitive tip for initiation and good snow feel throughout. As burly as it is for holding a firm grip at high edge angles, it then seemingly transforms into a willing dance partner off piste, deftly maneuvering through bumps and crud with its above average strength waiting in the background. It never feels like a heavy tank, just loads of "we got this" confidence.

Salomon also wins the award for being in the Top 3 of the test for ski manufacturers that understand the importance of a good tune -- or, to put it another way, it actually cared. It was superb on the S/Force, and it enabled a clear vision of the Force’s abilities, unlike the murky view offered by the tune on the Laser AR.

Ron: What a nice ski! The Bold tracks well and remains stable at speed. It is quite happy to make any turn shape; the tip engages very well and smoothly, and the traditional tail holds when needed but releases upon demand. This ski is best for the front side, and although I didn't take it into the bumps, I think it would be competent.

Insider tip: Don't overlook this ski.​

Drahtguy Kevin: Wide-body carvers are the hot segment, it seems, and Salomon’s entry gives the other makers a ski to chase. A supremely damp ski with an excellent tip that pulls the ski though the fall line with predictability is a pleasure to pilot. This is that ski. Mass is this ski’s friend. It has a heavier feel in hand, but once on snow the heft disappears and a quick, smooth, stable ride shows up. Roughed-up snow was leveled yet the ski kept a lively feel. Snaking through moguls on the Bold was a snap, something I didn’t expect. This ski competes with the premium brands in snow feel and performance.

Insider tip: This is the wide carver the others want to be.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
The strong; even though the S/Force has a mild side, it is a burly ski and needs some mass to bend it. Those seeking a wider carver who like to dabble all over the mountain.
Who is it not for?
Slalom turns aren’t this ski’s forté. If you absolutely, positively must have a light ski, this is not that.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
170, 177, 184
Dimensions
132-84-116
Radius
16m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. System

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I liked this ski quite a bit. A true wide carver. It requires to finish turns every single time but can be used off piste and even in some bumps. For how heavy and stiff it is it is not too hard to ski at all. Very damp and just smoothes out the hill. Fantastic resort ski. Still, needs a capable pilot. Intermediates will get spanked.

James

Out There
Instructor
Really wanted to try this last year. Then the pandemic came. The tail seems even squarer seen in the shop, like Kastle MX+. That would be fun.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied what is essentially the women's version (the S Force Fever) because @utskier has this ski and absolutely loves it, so of course he wanted me to get on a pair. I was pleasantly surprised that they were as compliant as they were, and didn't kick my butt six ways to Sunday. I loved them. Salomon has done a really good job with this line of skis.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I went hunting for a pair of powder skis, and ended up walking out with a pair of S Force Fever. I couldn't resist the price and have been jonesing for a pair since I tested them last year. I went up in size from what I tested as the 156 felt really short. Ultimately, I'd probably like this ski in a 161 or so, so I went with the 163. Will report back after I ski them.

Sponsor