• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2021 K2 Mindbender 99Ti vs 2021 K2 Reckoner 102

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cage-Match-2021-K2-Mindbender-99Ti-vs-Reckoner-102.png
What is 3 mm among friends? Well, since a millimeter is a mile in bootfitting, three of them in a ski width can be enough to create two completely different skiing experiences. In all fairness, the difference between the Mindbender 99Ti and the Reckoner 102 is not the 99 or the 102 waists. In fact, that is the least of the differences in the way these two skis feel on snow. “All mountain” is one of the vaguest, and most misused, terms in the ski industry, so let's talk how about how different these two K2s are and which one is better suited for you.

The Mindbender 99Ti is more biased to hard snow, with less rise in the tip, a lower and more traditional tail, and a sidecut that lends itself to a multitude of turn shapes. If you are looking for a playful ski in the 98-100 range that still has power but you don’t ski switch, at least on purpose, I would suggest leaning this way.

The Reckoner collection is all new for 2021 with (my) expectation that the 102 will easily outsell the other two combined. The Reckoner 102 has a much more playful feel than the Mindbender. The longer rocker in the tip and turned-up tail, combined with a round turn shape, are the start of the differences between these two skis but it is the forward mount point that makes the Reckoner a ski that is very playful. If this ski were a girl, it would be Cindi Lauper because it just wants to have fun.
  • Why choose the Mindbender 99Ti? You still have a desire for a more traditional ski in this class but with a playful side.
  • Why choose the Reckoner 102? You might not ski switch all the time but you still want an all-mountain One-Oh-Something that is as fun going backward as forward.

PaganSkier

Booting up
Skier
As a PSA, I'll throw in my experience in this matchup. I have the 2023 MB 99 Ti in a 184, and the Reckoner 102 in a 177. And yes the size difference is not entirely fair. The 99 Ti was going to be my soft snow ski this year for maching around at Vail and more open terrain, but very first run on early season hardpack manmade I was loving how hard it could carve at high edge angles. Immediate trust. But as "All Mountain' terrain opened up, and the cancerous mogul fields emerged from the plethora of less skilled skiers and boarders, I became frustrated with the MB 99. I kept getting tossed into the backseat in tight spastic bumps on steeper terrain. I'm used to skiing this terrain on skis such as Enforcer 88's, and Bonfides with better outcomes. So I remounted at +2, and things improved without loss of carving grip, but still not quick enough to satisfy my daily ventures into the minefields. But in more traditional (good) bumps, and moderate pow, and groomers, the MB 99Ti is very good.

I had about 50 days on some K2 Kung Fujas as a soft snow ski which are now semi-retired to rock skis for terrain such as Seniors at Telluride or North Pole at Abasin. I bought the K2 Reckoner 102 as a replacement for the KFs based upon reviews at Blister and SE. But when I pulled them out of the box they flexed so soft I just set them in the corner of my shop - and there they sat for 2 years. Even tried to sell them last year. But two months ago looking at 4 pair of unmounted skis, I thought I should do something about that, and swapped the bindings from the KFs to the Reckoners (mounted at -6 from center which is about where I skied the KF's), and headed to Copper. The Reckoners felt so unsubstantial the first few turns that I had zero trust. I took it super easy, and put very little energy into my turns on a couple groomers, but then I realized that even on the super compressed snow of Rosi's (World Cup fall speed training center) the Reckoners were holding tight. I started to really drive the ski, and was rewarded with a nice energy out of the turns. Medium size turns were good, narrowed the stance and started to pop off some short turns better than Enforcer 88's or even my Line Blades. Quick. Headed to Tucker and had a blast in deep spindrift on Taco and powder on Boulderado. Back on the groomers confidence grew and I really started to drive the front of the boot (Cochise 120 with Intuition Powerwrap). Have since skied Abasin, Vail, Loveland, Breck, and more days at Copper. Yesterday at Loveland blasting through some zipper crust, then corn, then bumps on Chet's. It's like the rebirth of fun. Buying another pair for backup. Thinning the everyday quiver to Serpo's and Reckoners. MB 108's for deeper days. FYI - I'm 5'10" and 160 lb.

Sponsor