• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Kastle MX88 or 83

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
IMHO going to the 164 makes me wonder, to @Tony S's point, why the MX89...just because it is a Kästle?

If you came in to me on a ski wall I would simply say "I will let you buy it, but I am not going to sell it to you."

Didn't wanted to go into the ski selection bit. IMO, the 89 is too wide and doesn't have enough edge grip for eastern groomer.
If I am skiing "pure" groomer and nothing else. I would definitely go shorter on the MX89. Wouldn't be my first choice in ski though.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the softer western snow, an 89 would be fine and I would definitely go longer.
The NE is a different place. We have expected to be stuck in the NE due to travel restrictions. This is what Mamie and I have in stock for cutting up eastern groomers. The hard snow collection with back ups - just in case.

1609634728969.png

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I guess I have to be realistic about the kinds of conditions I'll encounter. It's not even New England either; it's @Philpug's old Mid-Atlantic stomping grounds like Camelback (with weekend trips to NE if/when travel restrictions end). Though there's no deals that I can find on the MX84 that Phil recommends. Not to get this thread too far off track with the 88 vs 83 topic, but what do you guys think about the 2020 MX74 at 172 cm for an eastern groomer ripper? I'm 169 cm tall and 162 lbs. Ski Essentials has it in 164 and 172.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
what do you guys think about the 2020 MX74 at 172 cm for an eastern groomer ripper? I'm 169 cm tall and 162 lbs. Ski Essentials has it in 164 and 172.
I have an old MX83 for firm western conditions but at the time I would have got Kastle's MX78 if I were and eastern skier. So then, the MX74 at 172cm is what I would buy today if it was my decision.