• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Head Kore 99

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Head has put together four solid ski collections (note the yellow/green/red/blue theme). Missing from the Kore up to this point was that fourth ski (the red one), so Head filled the gap between the 93 and 105 with the all-new Kore 99.

Head accomplished what I think it sought out to do, which was to create a ski that has the ease of the 93 yet the float of the 105, a task that sounds simple but is not always easy. There is a softer-snow bias with the new 99, and that is fine; it is easy like the 93, and that is fine, too. The 99 would be a great one-ski quiver for the West or a wider half of a two-ski quiver for the East. Either way, it is a great option in the 98-100mm category.

Insider tip: Head scales its sizes so that all skiers will get the same experience. Shop owners, you have the toughest choice. Chances are, you are not going to stock the 93, 99, and 105, so which two? All I will say…choose wisely.​

Drahtguy Kevin: A new addition to the Kore family this year, the 99 has a nice wide shovel that keeps it on top of the chop and a stiffer feel that brings the power and stability needed in variable conditions. But this isn’t just a soft-snow whip: the grip on groomers and firm snow is remarkable. Arcing turns on the Kore is not a bore. Plenty of quickness and energy make for a stellar ride.

Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to size up. This is an easy-going ski that is lightweight.​
Review updated from 2020

Who is it for?
All-mountain skiers will find harmony in the versatility of the Kore 99.
Who is it not for?
Traditionalists. This ski is different in a good way. Those who like a heavy, damp ski.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
Sizes: 162, 171, 180, 189
Dimensions
134-99-120
Radius
17m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, when scaling up to the 189, the 99 is a big, solid , versatile all mountain ski... where the 180 is more 'fun', the 189 can be a charger for a strong skier.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
FWIW, when scaling up to the 189, the 99 is a big, solid , versatile all mountain ski... where the 180 is more 'fun', the 189 can be a charger for a strong skier.

I demoed the 105 in the 189cm length and its a lot of ski for the weight. To me they needed to be skied in a very traditional manner which was odd given the design of the ski. They have to be on edge and pressured correctly for them to be happy. They dont have a large sweet spot but when you are on it they feel great. I though the 93's were the best of the bunch. I am curious how the 99's slot in the line.

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
I demoed the 105 in the 189cm length and its a lot of ski for the weight. To me they needed to be skied in a very traditional manner which was odd given the design of the ski. They have to be on edge and pressured correctly for them to be happy. They dont have a large sweet spot but when you are on it they feel great. I though the 93's were the best of the bunch. I am curious how the 99's slot in the line.
I skied the Kore 93 last year in 180 length and liked it. At higher speeds I thought it got a bit chattery. I've read people say they think the 99 is the best carver, even more than the 93. Just wondering if it would be more stable at speed in the same 180 length.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The new 93 is quite nice! I own a 184, and have skied the 177. Pretty quick, easy turner, multiple turn shapes and types.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I got a pair of the Kore 99's in 184cm length last season and they felt amazing. I generally like heavier skis but I love these. Yes they are light but you ski them like if they were heavy. I know, doesnt make sense but they feel very smooth, damp and can charge but at lower speeds you can flick them around easily. Once up on edge you can pressure them as much as you want and they deliver, at any speed. They are a VERY traditional and directional ski and that is my preference so no issue there. I have yet to use them in true powder conditions but in chopped up pow they are great. They have great edgehold so even on very firm days they are fun although they start to be a bit too wide to be used on groomers all the time. The 184cm length is wider than 99 (101?) since the Kores are scaled to each length. This is a great OSQ ski for Colorado and out west in general. Great travel ski for when you are not certain of the conditions you will encounter during your trip.

Where is this ski the happiest? High up in the alpine on steep wind buffed bowls at speed. Where is this ski not happy? Very tight bumps in the trees. Then again that mimics where I am the happiest. lol. In between those two it is very fun.

Light skiers beware. These are very stiff skis and you will not be able to bend them unless you are a ski racer.

Sponsor