• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Dynastar M-Pro 90

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: I hate when I have preconceived thoughts that are complete misses. I didn't say publicly that the ski would be a miss, but I did think to myself, “Jeez, another Dynastar with a long-rise tip .…” Well, yes, the M-Pro does have a Cyrano de Bergerac nose, but the construction and the way the ski sticks to the snow is like no other Dynastar in this class since what feels like forever. It feels like a hard-snow Speed Zone with a tip that brings it out of a turn easily. It is fun ski, one of the few I took out for a second run -- not because I needed to figure it out, but because I wanted to ski it some more (aka sometimes crow tastes good enough for a second helping).
  • Insider tip: Don’t get hung up on the published numbers; this ski will make whatever turn shape you ask of it.

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers who like a connection to the snow, who put a ski on edge and expect a certain turn.
Who is it not for?
Those who look at their tips (you should be looking down the hill, anyway).
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
162, 170, 178, 186
Dimensions
120-90-110
Radius
18m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A really good, solid ski. Does everything well... could Dynastar win the 'most improved' ski brand debate? IMHO, absolutely.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A really good, solid ski. Does everything well... could Dynastar win the 'most improved' ski brand debate? IMHO, absolutely.
The hill this ski has to climb is that it needs to come out from the shadows of the previous Cham and Legend skis which were so different than these.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The hill this ski has to climb is that it needs to come out from the shadows of the previous Cham and Legend skis which were so different than these.

And in MHO, in a very good way different.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I'm a little confused. The previous Legend X96 and X88 were Tester's Choices, but here are denigrated to a degree. I purchased a pair of old stock x88 precisely because of the good reviews here and at Real Skier's, AND the fact that I really liked the X96 when I demoed it before (they did not have the X88 at the Rossi/Dynastar demo test, but I compared the X96 to the E88 and E94). I ski the east so didn't want a 96 for an all mtn daily driver and I wanted something better in 3D snow. I've got other skis already for firm groomers. At my skill level, I'm sure these will be fine, but a little surprised at these comments.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
At my skill level, I'm sure these will be fine, but a little surprised at these comments.

<-Not confused.

:) those of us that disliked the Legend X series (raises hand) now have a 90-waist alternative under the Dynastar umbrella, and that alternative isn't a cheapo park ski (*cough*Menace90*cough*)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think @Philpug is the only tester on our team who skied both.
Here are his reviews.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would love to hear how it compares to it's brethren in the 99 underfoot.
90 is less off piste, the 99 is more off piste. Feel is very similar...depends how much off piste performance you are looking for.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
90 has a bit better edge grip, but both are good skis.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So I'm a little confused. The previous Legend X96 and X88 were Tester's Choices, but here are denigrated to a degree. I purchased a pair of old stock x88 precisely because of the good reviews here and at Real Skier's, AND the fact that I really liked the X96 when I demoed it before (they did not have the X88 at the Rossi/Dynastar demo test, but I compared the X96 to the E88 and E94). I ski the east so didn't want a 96 for an all mtn daily driver and I wanted something better in 3D snow. I've got other skis already for firm groomers. At my skill level, I'm sure these will be fine, but a little surprised at these comments.

Really good skis from even 5-6 years ago are still.... really good skis. I wouldnt worry about it.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
90 is less off piste, the 99 is more off piste. Feel is very similar...depends how much off piste performance you are looking for.

Depends on the conditions I am going to hit but did already acquire the 99 for better edge hold (because you guys told me so ogwink) than the 100+ waisted skis I am usually on. Defenitely want a well balanced all-mountain capability for the front and back side but same time strong enough of an edge grip not to let me down anywhere, at least within range of a more dedicated groomer ski (not race plank).

90 has a bit better edge grip, but both are good skis.

Width wise that makes sense despite the guys at Ski Essentials said they aren't different enough here to waiver better all mountain/off road capability of the 99s for it.

Thanks again both of you.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
If I owned a 99 as a primary ski and wanted a quiver, I'd get either a speed zone 4×4 pro or the Dynastar equivalent to the Hero Master for a more carvy hard snow technical ski.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Really good skis from even 5-6 years ago are still.... really good skis. I wouldnt worry about it.
I agree. I hope to demo the M Pro 90 at some point to put it in the quiver of potential skis for the future.

I enjoyed my season this year on the Legend X88 (33 out of 52 days) and will use them again next year. I'll admit that they at first took some getting use to to find their sweet spot, but they ultimately provided the versatility I was looking for and the fun I had had on the X96 during demo. I'm sure this was due to my relative level of skill. What I was whining about above is that a ski can be a Tester's Choice one year, then thrown under the bus the next. I accept that Dynastar could improve on their design for all mtn skis over the Legends, but did the reviewer's really like them as much as they implied by labeling them a Tester's Choices?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, as a tester, though not for Phil's crew and Skitalk, I never warmed to the Legends personally, but understood who they'd work for. The new M-Pro's are more versatile in terms of turn shape, and offer much better edge grip than the Legend 96x.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree, the Legend 96X was a very nice ski, playful and fun. I am glad they went with a different direction and name with the new series.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So again I took a leap of faith from these reviews and comments, and purchased some M-Pro 90 in 186 cm for next season. I wore out the Legend X88's and converted them into rock skis skiing April at Killington! The M-Pro mount point is a bit further back than the Legends and more in line with my previous skis, so should not be hard to adapt back to. Both skis are mounted with Pivots. I still credit the Legends with helping me improve my skiing in concert with a ski week at Taos.

Sponsor