• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blossom Numero Uno N°1 SC

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Compared to its stouter brother the Numero Uno N°1 RC, the N°1 SC is a lighter and softer version in the proven 121-71-106 shape. It is a great option for lighter guys or women who might not want a women’s ski. It is also an option for Level I or II instructors looking for that special teaching ski or preparing to take their next exam; it will make any turn shape, at any speed, ideal attributes for an instructor. Build quality is what you would expect from a boutique builder such as Blossom, so there is no compromise in on-snow feel.
  • Insider tip: Bypass the 310 binding and put on a better 12-DIN race-derived option.

Who is it for?
A lighter skier looking for a technical ski on the finesse side of the scale.
Who is it not for?
Stronger, more powerful skiers -- but that's why Blossom offers the N°1 RC.
Skier ability
  1. Beginner/Novice
  2. Intermediate
  3. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
145, 151,158, 164, 170, 176
Dimensions
121-71-106
Radius
11m@158cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_3293.JPG Long term update: I had a chance to spend more time on the SC this past week when @Blossom Skis brought its demo fleet into town. I am trying to think of another ski like this on the market, and my brain is tired of being racked: a pure finesse mid-shaped carver. As I said in the initial review, this is a great ski for an aspiring carver, an instructor, and male and female finesse skiers. It is light and playful and just wants to please the skier. Turn initiation is easy, but the ski can be overpowered by stronger skiers.
  • Insider tip II: If you feel you are between sizes, err to the longer of the two sizes. Ski the N°1 SC closer to head height.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I got out on my 176 SC's yesterday.
A guy your size would be better served with the 176's but I totally agree with your description.
What you describe as a pure finesse mid shaped carver is spot on.
Good damping too so the vibration doesn't kill your knees.
Like you, I have never met a ski quite like this.
In 176 it is the perfect frontside carver for a mid-size, oldster who wants to ski at age appropriate speeds. (Like under 50)
It also skids easily when you are in a mood or situation to let them drift a bit.
Ono Nui!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A guy your size would be better served with the 176's but I totally agree with your description.
I am much better served on the RC in the 176 but thats not the point of me reviewing the ski, it is who it's for and I think you address that too. Another option is pull the plate and/or the system binding off, toss on a pair of Pivots and you have a killer bump ski.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Reason I said that is there was a big difference between the 170 and 176 Whiteouts when I had both.
I expect the same thing applies with the SC's too.
Happy New YEAR.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, time for an update. I bought a pair of 170 cm No 1 SCs from Phil about a month ago, so it’s time for a longer-term update. They are tuned with 1* and 2* bevels. I generally prefer softer-flexing skis with a 12-16 m sidecut radius and like a narrow ski on the front side. My daily driver ski for tele is a 164 cm Blossom Great Shape with the same dimensions. As noted elsewhere, I am a male, weigh 145 lbs, 6 ft 0 in tall, and am 68 years old.

I love my SCs. They are energetic, quick, bouncy, playful, powerful, fast, stable, damp, connected to the snow, utterly predictable. They provide lots of rebound have a good strong tail. They do precisely what is asked of them and urge you to go faster.

Basically they ski like the soft-flexing slalom skis (dialed to 9 and no 11) they are. They engage and come around quickly, so they are wonderful for short turns in the fall line. Balance and timing are critical, though, as they are so quick that I don’t have a lot of time to correct before things get out of hand. That said, they are remarkably versatile for a ski with their short radius chops. I compared them to an (OLD) pair of Rossi 9S WCs with a 9 m sidecut and soft tip and so skied quite similarly but the Blossoms were clearly superior to the Rossis in every way.

The SCs have a 14 m sidecut but ski more like a 10 or 12 m ski, probably due to the soft flex. That, along with strong torsional muscle, allow the edges to engage very quickly and hold tight through the turn. They then deliver strong rebound and edging above or in the fall line brings instant and strong acceleration. And it doesn’t matter if it’s firm, boilerplate or icy – the edgehold is tenacious.

Despite the quick 14 m sidecut radius, they manage long turns very well. That said, you can’t drop your hip and load them up in the fall line because if you do, they grip, flex and turn hard. They are much, much more stable in high-speed turns than I expect from a 14 m ski with that much edge hold and rebound. And they don’t wander on flat run-outs as much as I had expected.

In moguls, they are very well-behaved in soft bumps but get progressively grabbier as the bumps get firmer. The soft flex mitigates that a bit but it also helps them grab and go. My skills working on the delicate feathering that it takes to ski firmer bumps on them are a work in progress.

Cut-up, lumpy groomers are handled with aplomb at slow and high speeds. No surprises, no getting thrown around. I have never ridden a better ski on scraped-off groomer with a mixed bag of slick boilerplate and loose piles of scraped-off.

At 71 mm underfoot, they are not powder skis, but hold their own and are still fun in up to 8” of sierra pow. The soft flex probably helps in that department. I recently had a very nice day off piste with 6-8” of moderate sierra powder over coral reef.

Finally, they are great to teach on. It is surprisingly easy to skid turns for beginners and they will slide sideways at will but, being what they are, the occasional flat 360 is a challenge. And I would want to be on something else off-piste on a big powder day.

And my co-worker has yet to forgive me for letting him ride them, spoiling his Head iTitans (new this season) for him.

YMMV, but I love these skis.

Last edited:

CaliFi

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A. At 6’ 3” 210, is the 176 enough ski for somebody my size?

B. The N°1 SC is very far on ‘finesse’ side, is there some definitions for the finesse-power scale on skitalk?

C. I am looking for a ski to complement my 182/83/17.9 Stockli Laser ARs (a ‘powerful’ wide carver ’rally-car’) and a 180/69/16.2 Head Worldcup Rebels i.GSR. I want a ski very fast edge-to-edge (i.e. low 70s narrow, full camber), yet tip soft, because I occasionally miss my old K2 Recons for bumps and trees.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
A. At 6’ 3” 210, is the 176 enough ski for somebody my size? I suspect not; even with the Vist plate, the 176 Blossom White Out was not as precise and capable enough for me at 6' 210lbs.

B. The N°1 SC is very far on ‘finesse’ side, is there some definitions for the finesse-power scale on SkiTalk? Not particularly, although skis like the Head e.Race Pro, Augments, and any FIS race skis will get you there.

C. I am looking for a ski to complement my 182/83/17.9 Stöckli Laser ARs (a ‘powerful’ wide carver ’rally-car’) and a 180/69/16.2 Head Worldcup Rebels i.GSR. I want a ski very fast edge-to-edge (i.e. low 70s narrow, full camber), yet tip soft, because I occasionally miss my old K2 Recons for bumps and trees. Augment Sport Carving, Stockli SC or SX, various narrower Rossi Hero Masters, Head Supershape Speed or Magnum, along with the e.Race, as well as some Volkl Deacons and Nordica Spitfires all might work.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
A. At 6’ 3” 210, is the 176 enough ski for somebody my size? I suspect not; even with the Vist plate, the 176 Blossom White Out was not as precise and capable enough for me at 6' 210lbs.

B. The N°1 SC is very far on ‘finesse’ side, is there some definitions for the finesse-power scale on SkiTalk? Not particularly, although skis like the Head e.Race Pro, Augments, and any FIS race skis will get you there.

C. I am looking for a ski to complement my 182/83/17.9 Stöckli Laser ARs (a ‘powerful’ wide carver ’rally-car’) and a 180/69/16.2 Head Worldcup Rebels i.GSR. I want a ski very fast edge-to-edge (i.e. low 70s narrow, full camber), yet tip soft, because I occasionally miss my old K2 Recons for bumps and trees. Augment Sport Carving, Stöckli SC or SX, various narrower Rossi Hero Masters, Head Supershape Speed or Magnum, along with the e.Race, as well as some Völkl Deacons and Nordica Spitfires all might work.

I don't see why a 6', 210 pound guy would be on a 176.
Don't blame the ski when you are on the wrong size for your mass.
A Whiteout in 176 is only about 5% less stiff than my Rossi Hero M18's in 176 but they are very different skis from course oriented skis.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A. At 6’ 3” 210, is the 176 enough ski for somebody my size?
Compared to its stouter brother the Numero Uno N°1 RC, the N°1 SC is a lighter and softer version in the proven 121-71-106 shape. It is a great option for lighter guys or women who might not want a women’s ski. It is also an option for Level I or II instructors looking for that special teaching ski or preparing to take their next exam; it will make any turn shape, at any speed, ideal attributes for an instructor. Build quality is what you would expect from a boutique builder such as Blossom, so there is no compromise in on-snow feel.
  • Insider tip: Bypass the 310 binding and put on a better 12-DIN race-derived option.

Who is it for? A lighter skier looking for a technical ski on the finesse side of the scale.
Who is it not for? Stronger, more powerful skiers -- but that's why Blossom offers the N°1 RC.
"Stronger, more powerful skiers -- but that's why Blossom offers the N°1 RC." And heavier skiers!
I don't see why a 6', 210 pound guy would be on a 176.
Don't blame the ski when you are on the wrong size for your mass.
A Whiteout in 176 is only about 5% less stiff than my Rossi Hero M18's in 176 but they are very different skis from course oriented skis.
It's a SL ski. 176 is as big as it gets.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
"Stronger, more powerful skiers -- but that's why Blossom offers the N°1 RC." And heavier skiers!

It's a SL ski. 176 is as big as it gets.

The SC's are not SL skis at 16m radius.
They are a very specialized tool that works well for strong women and lighter guys.
The longest length offered is 176 which is suitable for folks up to 170 lbs IMO.
They have a feel that is unlike any other ski I have tried.

The RC's are offered in 181 which may work for the OP but they are still soft compared to any racing ski

Whiteouts are not a SL ski at 15 m radius.
They also come in 182 which is a better match for the second poster who found them wanting compared to race skis.
Comparing all mountain skis to race skis is not something I think is useful.
It is like bitching about a sports car because you think the suspension is too stiff.
Comparing skis within category is useful but if you want the feel and demanding nature of a race ski, get a race ski.
If you want something you can ski all day and doesn't spank you when you get tired and sloppy, get something else.
There is no such thing as a one ski quiver but the Whiteout comes close.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I stand corrected! Shame on them for calling it an "SC"
Got me there.
Other than Fischer who I think started the acronym using SC for their soft consumer SL ski (I have a pair) I have no idea of where the SC designation came from or what it means.
I can't think of German words starting with S and C that would put meaning into the designation.
Just like skis that have Ti in their names but no Ti in the skis, it is just marketing gibberish.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"I don't see why a 6', 210 pound guy would be on a 176. Don't blame the ski when you are on the wrong size for your mass."

Hmmmm....Let's see. While I frequently use much longer skis of 185-218 lengths for multiple uses (GS, SG, DH, powder, etc...), as well as shorter 165 FIS SL's, for most sport carving I usually run a 15-16m ski of around 175 +/-, such as a 172 Stockli WRT ST, 175 Stockli AX, 177 Stockli SC, 175 Head e.Race Pro, 177 Head SS i.Speed, 177 Head i/e.Rally--those all seem to work fine in those lengths.

More importantly, when I called Blossom to discuss what I wanted from the ski, they suggested going with the 176 and Vist Plate for increased quickness over the 182, which is what I was originally going to go with....

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
"I don't see why a 6', 210 pound guy would be on a 176. Don't blame the ski when you are on the wrong size for your mass."

Hmmmm....Let's see. While I frequently use much longer skis of 185-218 lengths for multiple uses (GS, SG, DH, powder, etc...), as well as shorter 165 FIS SL's, for most sport carving I usually run a 15-16m ski of around 175 +/-, such as a 172 Stöckli WRT ST, 175 Stöckli AX, 177 Stöckli SC, 175 Head e.Race Pro, 177 Head SS i.Speed, 177 Head i/e.Rally--those all seem to work fine in those lengths.

More importantly, when I called Blossom to discuss what I wanted from the ski, they suggested going with the 176 and Vist Plate for increased quickness over the 182, which is what I was originally going to go with....

Well now you know why I didn't think it was a good idea.

Sponsor