• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blossom Numero Uno N°1 RC

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Numero Uno N°1 RC is a ski that should be considered by everyone who enjoys ripping up groomers on a bluebird morning. While the Numero Uno collection name is new, an homage to the old Spalding skis, the N°1 RC model is the renamed Great Shape, a ski that we reviewed a few seasons back.

Philpug: This was billed as a cheater GS ski, but it is so much more than that. I have said this only once before about a ski: it slows down time. The Great Shape is the type of ski that villages will write songs about. Such smoothness is rarely seen in a ski without a comma in its price tag.
  • Insider tip: Buy flat and add a race plate, maybe a Marker piston plate and an Xcell 16.0.
FairToMiddlin: This is a crazy fun ski. Turn shapes are modifiable, it shrugs off crud and end-of-day messy groomers; the Great Shape has fantastic, accommodating construction inside. Sure, it may encourage you to ski fast, but what it really wants you to have a go at is skiing aggressively, not necessarily fast. Pick a tree on the side of the hill to turn toward. Now, in the middle of the turn, pick a tree 20 m higher up the slope and try to turn more tightly toward it. Don't give up, this ski wants you to be a better You.
  • Insider tip: Take a look at the 164 (13 m, suspiciously SL-ish), 170 (14 m), and 176 (16 m); pick your personality, and have fun.

Who is it for?
This is a sports car -- think of a red one, maybe with a prancing horse on the side, but with Audi pricing.
Who is it not for?
While some are calling the 71 a cheater GS, there are real race skis that are better.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
145, 151, 158, 164, 170, 176, 181
Dimensions
121-71-106
Radius
14m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is - kind of a nutty-broad range of sizes. Are the 145 and 151 flexed for adult loading? If yes, I want carved 360 pics.
Yes. Blossom does scale for flexes and the 145 actually has different dimensions (120-71-104) with the turn radius staying very much in scale at 9 meters. I imagine they sell less than 10 pair world wide in the 145cm, my guess is that the mold was already there so they thought why not offer it?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes. Blossom does scale for flexes and the 145 actually has different dimensions (120-71-104) with the turn radius staying very much in scale at 9 meters. I imagine they sell less than 10 pair world wide in the 145cm, my guess is that the mold was already there so they thought why not offer it?

It behooves us to change that. 9m fun is FUN.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this the same ski as the previous Great Shape Sport Carve? It has the same dimensions..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this the same ski as the previous Great Shape Sport Carve? It has the same dimensions..
Yes, the reviews above are from when we skied the Great Shape.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski the Great Shape and it is my favorite ski ever. Quick, strong, responsive, no speed limit (full disclosure - I'm 67 years old and ride it tele) and it puts a smile on my face every time. Don't get me wrong, I love my Renouns, both alpine and tele, but the Great Shape is a really special ski. I almost bought a pair for alpine last season but spent my allowance on some Renoun Z90s which are pretty special in their own right.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
How would this compare to the Stockli AX? They seem pretty close in numbers and raves.... (Also, could someone clue me in on how to do umlauts?)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How would this compare to the Stöckli AX? They seem pretty close in numbers and raves.... (Also, could someone clue me in on how to do umlauts?)
The Laser AX goes more against the Wind Shear with both being 78/77 underfoot. The N*1 RC is much stiffer as a frontside biased charger. Image if both of these skis were 77 underfoot:

Regarding the umlaut , I have it set up that when someone types St0ckli it changes it to Stockli (the same with a few other brands)

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
The stockli equivalent of it will be laser SC

How would this compare to the Stöckli AX? They seem pretty close in numbers and raves.... (Also, could someone clue me in on how to do umlauts?)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
00D56B2B-11F9-4D20-A0BF-877C3062C450.jpeg Long term update: I was finally able to get on our 176cm Numero Uno N*1 RC's at Mt. Rose. While I would prefer having the RC with the Speedlock race plate Blossom chose to send it with the "consumer" Speedloc 412 system. The Speedloc really puts the RC in a better postion to be compared to the other 70mm-ish skis in the class...but I really want to try the Speedlock.

The Blossom N*1 is an old soul and very well could be one of the oldest skis that is currently on the market but don't tell that to it. The ski was as fresh as it's modern graphics. It shows that a well designed and constructed ski is near timeless.

The RC was as playful as a puppy in slow to medium speeds and the published 15 meter sidecut felt felt very accurate. All you have to do with the RC is to lay it over and start turning and let the speed build. If you want to scrub speed, not a problem, release the tails then if you want it back again lock them in. Where some skis in this class expect you to go fast if you want them to perform, the Blossom has power on demand and it is at your beckon call.

Sponsor