• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blossom Cross Wind

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even those who are in the know are still somewhat familiar with Blossom and the White Out, the reference ski in the Turbo collection. But for those looking for a bit more off snow versatility and maybe even as the elusive one ski quiver, Blossom offers a 85mm wide White Out called the Cross Wind. The tip and tail dimensions stay basically the same as the White Out, but the waist jumps from 77 to 85 mm underfoot with the tip staying at 131 mm and the tail inching up from 111 to 112 mm. These changes in shape sacrifice some edge to edge quickness for a bit more off-piste performance without the nervousness of a ski with a lot of shape.

Insider tip: This is a bargain-priced alternative to the Stöckli Laser AR.​

Who is it for?
A skier who appreciates the quality feel from a fully cambered ski.
Who is it not for?
Those looking for slalom-ski-like performance, this one has a slightly longer turn radius.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
166, 172, 178, 184
Dimensions
131-85-112
Radius
16.8m@172cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I had a chance to spend some time on Cross Wind at Mammoth and where I originally said = the Cross Wind was an 85mm version of Tail Wind or a bargain Laser AX, I need to recant these thoughts, the Cross Wind is more a bargain-priced Stormrider 88 (or even MX 84). I have asked why Blossom didn't offer a 88-90mm ski, well, while the Cross Wind measures 85 mm underfoot, this skis much more like an 88mm ski. The 18m radius in the 178 length really feels true to measure with the Cross Wind. The ski was stable and sublimely smooth in Mammoth's mixed conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
11/16/20 Update: I had a chance to spend some time on Cross Wind at Mammoth and where I originally said the Cross Wind was an 85mm version of Tail Wind or a bargain Laser AX, I need recant these thoughts, the Cross Wind is more a bargain priced Stormrider 88 (or even MX 84). I have asked why Blossom didn't offer a 88-90mm ski, well while Cross Wind measures 85 mm under foot, this skis much more like an 88mm ski. The 18 meter radius in the 178cm length really feels true to measure with the Cross Wind. The ski was stable and sublimely smooth in Mammoth's mixed conditions.

Do you think this is a good option for a frontside-oriented Tahoe ski? Obviously not on powder days, but outside of that?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you think this is a good option for a frontside-oriented Tahoe ski? Obviously not on powder days, but outside of that?
If you are thinking a mid to upper 80mm ski, yup.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are thinking a mid to upper 80mm ski, yup.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm thinking I need to replace my ~95-100 ski and I am trying to stretch here. Probably need to stick to the larger size up for more utility.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: I skied these for several runs today at Mt. Rose. Super nice skis. Very smooth and silky over the snow. Hold a good edge but don't demand that you carve every turn. These would be a great frontside Tahoe ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: Two words to describe this ski...Liquid Mercury. the 18 meter sidecut really feels dead on as the built in shape, with that said, the Cross Wind can be bent into a shorter turn at will or be allowed to let run. If you are looking for that replacement that is a step up from the discontinued Monster 83 or 88, look no further

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Another several inches of snow, another day at Mt. Rose! We received about 3-5" of fresh, fairly light snow overnight and took advantage of that the next morning. While we didn't hit the hill for fresh tracks, we did get there in time to run through piles and chop. At 18m and 85 underfoot it can be run back and forth across the hill while rolling over the piles or worked more along a zipper line when you can find a flow between piles. It is just a very easy ski to be on. Where it really shines, though, are effortless longer railroad tracks on the groomers. In the soft packed snow I never felt like it was going to bury the tip as long as I did my part and allowed it to follow its radius. Pushing harder into the soft snow I could feel where, if it hit a particularly soft spot, things might not work out well. There isn't a lot of tip rocker and the sidecut goes all the way to the tip. No matter where you are, the ski is very fluid and smooth. I'd like to ski it back to back with the White Out if given the opportunity.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Long Term Update: Another several inches of snow, another day at Mt. Rose! We received about 3-5" of fresh, fairly light snow overnight and took advantage of that the next morning. While we didn't hit the hill for fresh tracks, we did get there in time to run through piles and chop. At 18m and 85 underfoot it can be run back and forth across the hill while rolling over the piles or worked more along a zipper line when you can find a flow between piles. It is just a very easy ski to be on. Where it really shines, though, are effortless longer railroad tracks on the groomers. In the soft packed snow I never felt like it was going to bury the tip as long as I did my part and allowed it to follow its radius. Pushing harder into the soft snow I could feel where, if it hit a particularly soft spot, things might not work out well. There isn't a lot of tip rocker and the sidecut goes all the way to the tip. No matter where you are, the ski is very fluid and smooth. I'd like to ski it back to back with the White Out if given the opportunity.

I've got my eye on this one (even though I love the White Out, I don't need it in my quiver, but I do need a narrow all-mountain ski like the Cross Wind).

Would you be able to provide a side shot of the Cross Wind with the bases pressed together so that we can see the rocker and the amount of splay they have?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've got my eye on this one (even though I love the White Out, I don't need it in my quiver, but I do need a narrow all-mountain ski like the Cross Wind).

Would you be able to provide a side shot of the Cross Wind with the bases pressed together so that we can see the rocker and the amount of splay they have?
There is none. These are a full contact ski.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I took the Cross Winds out for a bluebird day at Mt. Rose today. Conditions were...firm. Groomers were nicely groomed, though they must have been groomed warm and then froze. Even the Slide Bowl, which gets early morning sun, stayed pretty firm throughout the morning. That's where you notice how quiet these skis are. Slipping across the frozen cord, or the blown off scratch, you can HEAR the zzzzzzip but you don't FEEL it. Hopping over to the Rose main side, we skied in the shadows but were rewarded with just a bit of wind buff on top of hard chalk snow. The Cross Winds just move from one condition to the next with ease. The only place I got a good chatter was going cross-hill in a hard turn where I'm not quite good enough to set a solid edge. I've had that happen with other skis and know where the weak link is. ;) Gotta let the ski flow! A more experienced skier would not have that issue and, to be fair to the ski, it doesn't punish your shortcomings. In chalky bumps the skis work easily, either on top, sides, or troughs.

20210107_123423.jpg
20210107_123453.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Long Term Update: I took the Cross Winds out for a bluebird day at Mt. Rose today. Conditions were...firm. Groomers were nicely groomed, though they must have been groomed warm and then froze. Even the Slide Bowl, which gets early morning sun, stayed pretty firm throughout the morning. That's where you notice how quiet these skis are. Slipping across the frozen cord, or the blown off scratch, you can HEAR the zzzzzzip but you don't FEEL it. Hopping over to the Rose main side, we skied in the shadows but were rewarded with just a bit of wind buff on top of hard chalk snow. The Cross Winds just move from one condition to the next with ease. The only place I got a good chatter was going cross-hill in a hard turn where I'm not quite good enough to set a solid edge. I've had that happen with other skis and know where the weak link is. ;) Gotta let the ski flow! A more experienced skier would not have that issue and, to be fair to the ski, it doesn't punish your shortcomings. In chalky bumps the skis work easily, either on top, sides, or troughs.

View attachment 120286 View attachment 120287

Thanks Andy, that's really helpful. I really like your description of the on-snow feel of these skis in conditions that would make most skis rattle out your fillings. :thumb:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Andy, that's really helpful. I really like your description of the on-snow feel of these skis in conditions that would make most skis rattle out your fillings. :thumb:
I use the proper terminology like "zzzzzzip"!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Same construction, different shape. The whiteout is going to be quicker edge to edge and have a tighter TR. so For more groomers and carve focused skiing, whiteout.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor