• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blizzard Bonafide 97

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: I have owned every generation of Bonafide since it was introduced; each had its own, slightly different personality, but the all-new Bonafide 97 is a complete departure. Only two things carry over from previous Bonafides: the name, and ... well, that's one thing. Construction, length, scaled widths, all of that is new. This ski is the most "all new" that you can call a ski while keeping its name.

With Flipcore, Blizzard took a marketing approach to a new core design, but with the new Bonafide, the construction is much more size-specific, with different wood stringers set up for different lengths in order to scale the flex. It is a great concept if you get it right, but if you are wrong, it can go waaay wrong. This is one of the few skis I skied in multiple sizes. A 180 Bonafide was always dead-on for me, so would I want the 177 or the 183? Since I had the opportunity, I skied both. I tried the 183; well, I should have tried the 177 first. The 183 felt like a truck, big and cumbersome. I don’t think even my old 25-lb-heavier self would have liked it. The 177 felt better, but still not like my old Bonafide. It is so new, they probably should have renamed it. It is a different ski; the apple has fallen far from the tree.

With all of that said, all-new is not all-bad. As you can see, the Bonafide 97 still gets a Tester's Choice because it is still a really good ski. The 97 is much more of a charger and has a higher point of entry than the older models. That is fine, you just need to know what to expect.
  • Insider tip: If you were between sizes on the old model, you will be happy. If you hit the old sizes right, you won’t be.

Awards
Who is it for?
Chargers. This Bonafide is bull-worthy.
Who is it not for?
Those who loved the outgoing model might want to stock up.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 171, 177, 183, 189
Dimensions
136.5-97-118.5
Radius
17m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
F674A449-7540-43A7-87F0-970AF2DE881A_1_201_a.jpeg
B20F50EF-B3AB-4B42-A958-E3E142409A5B.jpeg
Long-Term Update: We added the new Bonafide to the "Private Stock" wing of the test fleet. Private Stock? Yep. Occasionally skis come to our door that are special and deserve a special binding -- usually a Pivot. These are skis like the original Nordica Proto, Tricia's and my special-edition Mindbender, and now a new addition, the Blizzard Bonafide Thermo V97. Yes, the graphics are real cool.

This is probably the seventh or eighth pair of Bonafides I have had, and like I initially said, it is a very different ski than the original -- which is not a bad thing, just that it is worth knowing when replacing an older Bonafide. The new Bonafide is a revolution from the original and an evolution from the last incarnation. Again, neither is bad. For those who didn't connect with the first Flipcore, here is your ski. For those who liked the last generation, here is your ski.

24A2AF17-4C7B-4037-A93F-BA8A77B27E16.jpeg

There is very much a Blizzardness to the ski: it is solid, planted, and connected to the snow. Initially, I had felt the 177 might be a bit short, but after skiing it some more, plus bypassing a demo binding and putting on a Pivot 15 Raw, I no longer feel that is the case.

85E25DF9-2290-4560-96D0-7CAF7DF7B428_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Love the top plate, nice throwback to the old thermo's. Phil, what differences does the Pivot make compared to a Marker Griffon?
Honestly, it has been a while since I skied the Bonafide with a Pivot, in fact my last few pairs of Bonafides had Sth's on them. I like the low stack and short mounting distance of the Pivot though.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The latest Bonafide is by far the best IMHO... was in my top 3 skis in all categories at last Feb. tests. Smooth, solid, great edge grip, connected. I'd own it if I were on the Blizzard ticket. The new size split is perfect.... for me. :)

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 122398
I put Pivots on all of my mid-width Blizzard, including the Bonafides
awesome, but you need to work on color matching, I spent an hour on new skis, vs colors to colormatch ;)
Im actually needing to put a temp pivot on my CT 2.0s to wait for the 2022 release of a certain binding as it matches better :p
white didnt make the cut, nor the blacks as I just grabed a quick pic for fun here ;) also figured Id need a RAW for my m-free 108

You do have good taste in gear. duke PT 16 would look very good on thoose fischers as well

Attachments

• 2021-01-28 15.52.42.jpg
    2021-01-28 15.52.42.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 21

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
awesome, but you need to work on color matching
Which ones would you change? If Look made a Pivot 15 in Forza 1.0 I would put that on most skis.

You do have good taste in gear. duke PT 16 would look very good on thoose fischers as well
Thank you. I have my eye on last year's V-Werks Mantra, but I will wait for an M-Werks Duke PT. If not that then the PT 12 could match.

AlpedHuez

Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
These?
Are 156 and 165 the only FIS lengths? 160 would be ideal for me, since I already have a couple cheaters in 167-168
Yep. Usually each company has two smaller lengths a cm apart. Just different construction. For different weights- women or lighter teens. Plenty men ski on the women’s version.
160cm has not been made since maybe ‘04. Whenever they mandated 165 minimum. I had a nice Elan 160 with a Vist plate. Miss that ski.
Well it’s not orange nor a Blizzard.
Looks very good though. Certainly can’t go wrong. If you feel that’s the one just go for that. Or wait, as France is closed, right?

AlpedHuez

Skier
Yep. Usually each company has two smaller lengths a cm apart. Just different construction. For different weights- women or lighter teens. Plenty men ski on the women’s version.
160cm has not been made since maybe ‘04. Whenever they mandated 165 minimum. I had a nice Elan 160 with a Vist plate. Miss that ski.

Well it’s not orange nor a Blizzard.
Looks very good though. Certainly can’t go wrong. If you feel that’s the one just go for that. Or wait, as France is closed, right?

Ordered the Blizzard FIS SL from Colorado. I am in UK, but the shipping was decent on top of the excellent price. Will see what kind of customs duty UK hits me with on the back end. (The non-FIS Stockli Laser SL from France price was non-inclusive of VAT, so I passed).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The latest Bonafide is by far the best IMHO... was in my top 3 skis in all categories at last Feb. tests. Smooth, solid, great edge grip, connected. I'd own it if I were on the Blizzard ticket. The new size split is perfect.... for me. :)
I am warming up to the new sizing. With the new profile of the 97 in 177, I imagine that is actually has a longer contact length than my original 180.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Oddly enough, same deal with the Kore 93.... tested the original in a 180, and next season's in a 177. Both are a bit short, but I like the latter much better even though it's shorter. Excited to ski the new 184 length!

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s the feel of the new Bonafide? To me, the last one was somewhat too carbony. Not horrible, but enough to not be enamored with it. Could’ve used some Stocklification.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
From what I recall, it did feel damper, but bent better, in the ends.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
View attachment 121962 Long-Term Update: We added the new Bonafide to the "Private Stock" wing of the test fleet. Private Stock? Yep. Occasionally skis come to our door that are special and deserve a special binding -- usually a Pivot. These are skis like the original Nordica Proto, Tricia's and my special-edition Mindbender, and now a new addition, the Blizzard Bonafide Thermo V97. Yes, the graphics are real cool.

This is probably the seventh or eighth pair of Bonafides I have had, and like I initially said, it is a very different ski than the original -- which is not a bad thing, just that it is worth knowing when replacing an older Bonafide. The new Bonafide is a revolution from the original and an evolution from the last incarnation. Again, neither is bad. For those who didn't connect with the first Flipcore, here is your ski. For those who liked the last generation, here is your ski.

View attachment 121963

There is very much a Blizzardness to the ski: it is solid, planted, and connected to the snow. Initially, I had felt the 177 might be a bit short, but after skiing it some more, plus bypassing a demo binding and putting on a Pivot 15 Raw, I no longer feel that is the case.

View attachment 121964

So it skis more like the Head Monsters of old? I loved the previous Bonafide though. The front end could feel a tad disconnected to the snow on harder groomers when going from one turn to the next otherwise very solid.

Sponsor