• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Armada Declivity 92 Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: If light is right for you, then put the Declivity 92 on your list of skis to consider. This is a new age for Armada, and the Declivity series is the first collection to be completely designed and built in house under the Amer brand. Even though the 92 falls in between the Declivity 82 and 102, it does not suffer from middle-child syndrome. It is playful on the groomers and still has some off-piste chops -- it could be the one-ski quiver that people are looking for from Armada.
  • Insider tip: The Declivity really likes to finish a turn.

Awards
Who is it for?
Those looking for a low-90mm ski that is extremely versatile and lightweight.
Who is it not for?
The biggest chargers might want a bit more mass under them.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164,172, 180, 188
Dimensions
131-92-118
Radius
17.5m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This ski was one of my top 2 "holy cow, that's one for the radar!" skis during last season's testing. Skied it short and on hard groomers. Very good edge grip and absolutely confident when rolling it up on high edge angles. This ski is unique in that it does what it does very very well at such a light weight.

chris1967

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got my first turns this season on these at Mammoth last weekend. This may sound overly emphatic, but for me this is the best ski I've been on. Morning icy hardpack to late afternoon chop/slush this ski treated me very well. It's very light to boot, so even after a couple of long days my legs did not feel nearly as fatigued as similar 90-ishmm skis I have ski'd.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The declivity 92 is a really cool ski. Definitely stood out at last Feb. Industry demo, but I'm repeating myself. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I am comfortable enough to admit, just because I don't mesh with a ski, it does not mean it is a damn good ski. Both @markojp and @Tim Hedin sing the praises of the Declevity 92 and I will defer to their opinons. Me? Well, while I like the feel of the 92 on hero snow, as Marko says the ski hooks up great and follows though as you would expect, but as they say adversity shows character. I found the lightness of the Armada got pushed around when the condtions got uhm..inconsistant. I do think a lighter skier than is even more on the finesse side than me would really enjoy the ski.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Skis are weird that way. Is this my ski? No, but it was really fun. I'm not a waif, and even skied them on hard snow. I was expecting nothing, but was really surprised. No trouble tipping them up with confidence. That said, a colleague with a more traditional narrow stance didn't gell with them at all. Another younger, lighter, more 'freeride' colleague liked them as well. I also didn't have a chance to ski them in heavy crud, but as a whole, Armada IMHO makes some of the better if not top tier directional skis on the market. Go figure, eh? :)

(I am in no way connected to Armada in any capacity beyond selling them at retail. We don't stock the Declivity series.)

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: There are days in a skier's life when they really need the ski to work with them, without any complaints or surprises. Today was such a day. Mt. Rose received a light powder dusting of about 3-4" which was nice. Not nice was the cloud that consumed the top of the mountain and slowly worked its way downslope.

The Declivity felt very fun and even, dare I say, surfy on the early the early runs where visibility and snow were both smooth. As the morning wore on and the snow became chopped up fresh, the skis allowed either pushing through, over, or around, even on the bump run that didn't look like bumps from the lift. I'm not a great bump skier but the Declivity felt light and easy to work through the bumps. As visibility became worse and bumps and divots became more tactile than visible, the Declivity just said "Take it easy, I'm here for you". I've been on other skis in similar conditions that, while great when I could see, just didn't give me that confidence to take another run.

Big, burly, or charging skiers may want more from their ride but for me, this is a very friendly, fun, and encouraging ski.

ETA: I was on the 180cm ski with a published radius of 17.5, though that could seemingly be shaped to whatever you wanted. I'm looking forward to getting these on some good groomers with good light; I have a feeling they'll be supoib.
20201228_084940.jpg

20201228_101422.jpg

20201228_102057.jpg

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: There are days in a skier's life when they really need the ski to work with them, without any complaints or surprises. Today was such a day. Mt. Rose received a light powder dusting of about 3-4" which was nice. Not nice was the cloud that consumed the top of the mountain and slowly worked its way downslope.

My friend was out there today with you. It was his first day on his Liberty v82s and he walked away a happy customer (thanks @Ron). Can you offer any comparisons. between the Declivity and two other 92mm skis: QST92 and the v92?

Reactions: Ron

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend was out there today with you. It was his first day on his Liberty v82s and he walked away a happy customer (thanks @Ron). Can you offer any comparisons. between the Declivity and two other 92mm skis: QST92 and the v92?
I cannot. I haven't been on the V in that width nor the QST. Judging by the V82 and V76 my guess would be the 92 is a stronger (more energy and pop) than the Declivity and more carve-centric. The Evolv 90 might be closer to the Declivity.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you offer any comparisons. between the Declivity and two other 92mm skis: QST92 and the v92?
While the shape is similar, the Salomon is a bit quieter and heavier on the snow and is not quite as nimble. The Liberty has a feel closer to the Salomon but much more shape and wants to bite into a turn more..than both.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
just by looking at the shape of the declivity's tips, its more in common with the QST92 than the V Series. keep in mind the V series is designed for frontside skiing and the V92 is the best carving >90mm ski I know of. Its going to be more accurate and precise than the QST (and guessing the declivity) based on shape. The V Series is not a lightweight ski, it's stable along with the Liberty trademark, smoothness. It does well in several inches of powder and soft bumps but I'll bet the declivity, and I know the QST does a fine job off-piste, better than the V92. As @Andy Mink stated, a better comparison would be the Evolv90. The Evolv90 though is also not a lightweight ski, its more traditional with minimal rocker and less tip/tail taper. those who like a more traditional ski that is not surfy will certainly prefer the Evolv. I have not skied the Declivity so I cant say with certainty its surfy or less precise, im going off shape and what I have read.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Another day, another morning on the Declivity. This time we were at Squaw Valley in a mixture of what was frozen-by-rain snow, and the scratchy, harder stuff underneath. As the morning progressed it morphed into granulated sugar in some spots, with patches of soft, skied in fun, but still retained its hard underbelly. The Declivitys (Declivities?) were unflappable with plenty of edge hold on the hard stuff yet quick and flickable in the piles and sugar. We skied Tamara's to East Face Gully twice. The first time, I was looking over this steeper-than-I'm-used to drop but, in true SkiTalk tester form, I dropped it for the team. Hesitation moved aside and let the fun shine through. The skis were so compliant, again with no surprises. The second time down was just for fun. The Gully portion is somewhat of a narrower half-pipe where quicker turns were needed to avoid trees, scraped off areas, and people. The skis were, again, unflappable, and very confidence inspiring. The lower portion of the Gully opened up to some bumps and ridges where you could pick your turns: tops, side, or troughs. All were equally fine and the Declivities just cruised through.

On the crusty, skied off runs back to the lift the edges held well and carving was easy. Others have found these skis to have a little more "feedback" or vibration than they like, but I wasn't bothered by it nor did I really notice anything out of the ordinary. This is definitely a ski to take a look at as a one or two ski quiver for the Tahoe region. The only conditions I haven't had to try them in is deeper powder but it'll come and I'll report back!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: OK, this is getting boring! :roflmao: Today was another at Squaw with some opportunity to take the Declivity into some steeper wind buff, softening groomers, very crispy blown off crust, and even a little bit through some tree/bush/rock areas where quick turns were needed to avoid hurting skis and body. Again, no surprises. Quick and nimble when needed, planted when carving hard, and good edge on the scrapey stuff. Eventually I'll have to hop on something else to review but if I didn't, I'd be happy on this Declivity.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @Andy Mink, I am interested in the Declivity 82 @166 to replace my Victa ti 163 for which I just want "a bit more" but not needing the 171 as a smaller female. Interested in any feedback on the 82 for eastern sierra fun frontside ski that can handle a bit off piste....

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Andy Mink, I am interested in the Declivity 82 @166 to replace my Victa ti 163 for which I just want "a bit more" but not needing the 171 as a smaller female. Interested in any feedback on the 82 for eastern sierra fun frontside ski that can handle a bit off piste....
I haven't been on the 82. @Tricia, have you been in the 82?

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: OK, this is getting boring! :roflmao: Today was another at Squaw with some opportunity to take the Declivity into some steeper wind buff, softening groomers, very crispy blown off crust, and even a little bit through some tree/bush/rock areas where quick turns were needed to avoid hurting skis and body. Again, no surprises. Quick and nimble when needed, planted when carving hard, and good edge on the scrapey stuff. Eventually I'll have to hop on something else to review but if I didn't, I'd be happy on this Declivity.

Not boring to me, Andy!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor